Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
@Steve Angus,

Steve, do you offer private lessons for one?

if so, can you tell me your prices please?

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Philip1972... Yes we (TDC) do offer private lessons. Our website has details of the price scheme (www.tdcski.com/valdisere) but for one / two people a three hour morning or afternoon session is €225 in total. Please PM me if you have any other queries. Thanks. Steve Angus
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. Let me have a look and I will get back to you.

(Pre warning...you would have your work cut out with me lol)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Philip1972, TDC had their work cut out for them with me too and they have sorted me out Happy when others had tried and failed miserably!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steve, do you ski on head Rev 85 pro ?....looking at getting some and seemed to recall that's your ski of choice ???

Cheers
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.

Philip1972 - Trust me I have seen it all and you'll be just fine!
stefoy4me - I do ski on Head skis (amongst a few skis I ski on from more than one manufacturer) but I have the iSpeeds I am afraid.... but have heard good things about them!

The calm before the storm....

It lasted all of an hour...

Yes today was the first day of the school hols for real. I was on a one off snowboarding lesson and met the teen and early 20 something boys. The weather was much brighter than forecast although colder than it had been for the past week or so. Up top we have perhaps 3-4cm of fresh snow which made a lovely texture to slide on.

It was a very chilled and relaxed morning and since the boys had never been to the EK before it was nice to show them around!

For the first hour or so there was next to no-one up there.... people still collecting rental equipment / life passes etc always means the first morning is relatively quiet.... and there is also people who find out that it takes longer to get everyone sorted on the first morning than they initially thought AND finally people are cautious to not go too far from 'home' on the slopes on the first am until they have found their feet. So with all that in mind I worked the slopes to make the most of the nice snow and minimal queues and it was a lovely morning!

I came home for lunch after first doing a recce to the chalet I am meeting at in the morning..... this family that I teach every half term have never stayed in this particular chalet so I needed to find it and work out my timings to get there.

The afternoon was mainly spent playing with Olivia and trying to relax as much as possible... calling home etc!

The weather this afternoon was slightly greyer and the odd flocon de neige but I still don't think we will get anything / much over the next 2 days but we shall see.

OK early bed again as it all kicks off tomorrow and with both Clare and I doing all day privates all week Olivia will be in creche for longer hours and we shall all be more tired than a n other week of the season!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Why is that when you are tired the laptop plays up and you cant just do the blog and get to bed because it insists on doing a sodding update!

Anyway it was a rather windy and wintery snowy Val d'Isere today as half term day one dawned!

It was not a good start as Clare was not feeling particularly well so I ran around like a headless chicken getting myself and then Olivia ready and off to the creche. I then made my way to the chalet to meet my guys... cant believe this will be the 9th year that I have taught the family and seeing the kids another year older and improving all the time is wonderful to see!

Anyway we got going about 9.30 and I had another couple of family cousins along with Alfie today. After a tester or two down on the Village we headed up the Solaise and had a great morning before grabbing a hot choc break and then latterly lunch at the Datcha.... they did so well in the conditions for day one which is more than can said for lots of people who didn't bother going up the hill which meant that the lift queues were pretty small considering that it was half term day one!

Anyway we finished the day with a ski down Piste L before getting a Scott Dunn minibus to take us back to the chalet - ah the luxury of it!

Since one of the adults was celebrating a major birthday we headed back to the chalet for tea and cake and then I went to pick Olivia up before giving her tea, bath and bed as Clare struggled through the day and needed an early night!

So here I am finally with the laptop working again able to do this update.

Weather wise it is supposed to improve tomorrow which will be welcome and I am really hoping it does as there is already about 50cm of localised fresh powder up the top of the Pissaillas glacier waiting to be skied - thanks to the Easterly weather that has been sucked over the border!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
you're a great Dad, Steve! snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w - thanks.... kind words.... just doing my best!

Anyway folks what a different day from yesterday with hardly any wind and the sun out in full force.

I acted on good intel and headed for the Fornet straight up this am after meeting at the chalet. We did not leave as early as I had hoped for as I think I tired them out somewhat yesterday and they were still in pjs and finishing their breakfast when I arrived.... anyway as soon as we were ready to go we got the chalet minibus up to the Fornet and we were off... There had obviously been even more snow up at the glacier than even the most optimistic forecast had suggested. Anyway lovely snow and a great morning all round including the boys and girls first powder turns ever - only a couple of face plants!

A rendezvous at the Cascade restaurant up there for a lunchtime swap and we were off for the afternoon session. It was actually quite busy up the glacier as everyone under the sun wanted to ski up there... the queues were relatively long but the ski school priority line comes into a world of its own during the school hols!!!

Anyway Charlie decided that he really wanted a challenge this afternoon so I rose to the challenge! In short we made it in 3 hours from the Pissailas glacier to Tignes Les Brevieries and back to Val and down the Face including a hot choc stop - wow that was some 50km of lifts and skiing and up to 77km according to Charlies Ski tracks app..... I was pretty tired and Charlie was on his knees - well he wanted a challenge!

Some tea and cake back at the chalet it was then time to get Olivia and get home for the evenings usuals..... however Clare is now back on form so we were able to share out the duties!

Day 2 done.... 4 more days of half term to go - wowsers time is flying!

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Notice the person in mid back flip off the bunji!

Well what a nice day after a slow start

I felt totally washed out in the am and hit a wall when I got home that I really didn't feel like posting last night.... Hence posting this am. But it was a nice day yesterday.

When I arrived at the chalet they were running rather late.... In fact they were all sat around the breakfast table still having breakfast so I drank a cuppa with them as they hatched a plan for the day.... There was a call to go to Tignes Les Brevs for the am / day and back to the Folie for lunch - I did not think we could get back in time so I warned that we may need to make lunch arrangements and that is actually how it panned out.

So there was 4 kids and 3 adults and I and it was nearly 9.40 before we got going so the queue for the lifts were huge even in the ski school line. Anyway it took a while to get up the Belvarde and then Loyes Express lift (even in the ski school line!) but we got there.

I had a shout at some seriously reckless skier taking massive chances on the wall of diebold and so nearly clipping a couple of people on the way past (I see thousands of skiers and boarders and am pretty good at assessing things but this guy was flying in the very edge of control at the highest speed I have seen down there for some time...... I reckon a good 60mph.

Anyway bit by bit we made progress and it was a little like being a tour guide for the day herding people around the place and making use of the ski school lanes.

A coffee stop at Le Palet restaurant and onwards and even saw someone do the bunji-ride thing.... See pic.

With tired legs we finally made it to Brev for lunch and got a table at my favourite L'Armailly.... In the sun and the pizzas went down very well.

We pottered back slowly and finally made it back to la Daille and jumped on the minibus to the chalet.

It was an early night.

The weather once again was stunning with nice snow and not too hot / cold and should continue like this for a few more days before changing at the weekend after the crowds start to disappear thank goodness.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great read Steve, thanks. We are due to go out next week- the forecast looks a bit grim with v little sunshine so feeling a bit gutted. What do you think?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Steve Angus, We are heading out 27/2 - 7/3. Will the mass lift ques have dies down by then?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Loving the updates. Fly one week Saturday and it looks like snow is coming during next week. But this will probably change Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Not a bad commute to work!

Charlie and Clare enjoying the sunshine before the day had even started!

It was another lovely sunny day in the mountains but I think I tired everyone out to the max yesterday as not all the kids wanted to ski today and all the adults were rather sluggish in getting going but we got there.

Everyone just wanted to lap around the green triangle working on some light technique and I focussed my attention on some of the newer members of the family to skiing. It was a jolly nice morning and the adult learners came on leaps and bounds even if I do say so myself.

I had some idiot at high speed ski over my ski tips when racing his father (I think it must have been) on the green Genepy piste and not even look over his shoulder to check he had not cause a crash... this is just unacceptable behaviour and I wish I could knock the fathers head into shape to realise he is encourgaging rude and aggressive and dangerous skiing in his son..... HOWEVER I was also happy to see later in the day a pisteur telling of some boy racers in the Petit Cross who were straight lining it when (amongst others) there were some very small children in there. Sorry to have a rant but I really think 'modern' ski films and technology such as Go Pro's fuels reckless behaviours on the slopes in some people.

It wasn't too long before everyone wanted to head to lunch so we opted for the Bellevarde restaurant and we could not have timed it worse..... the self service queue was MASSIVE and what made matters worse was the the card machine was not working so everyone had to pay cash!!!!

Anyway it was a rather long lunch break in the end.

No-one wanted to ski too much after lunch but a few keen beens wanted a bit more of a ski around before requesting a ski down Santons. My first down there in ages and it was not too bad really.... the push at the end was of course not to everyones cup of tea but they did ask to head down there! A quick rendezvous with the non skiing family members at Bananas for a drink and the beers started flowing so that was the end of everyones ski days so we headed home.... I think I tired them all out good and proper yesterday BUT there are big plans brewing for tomorrow as Charlie and his cousin want the 'big grand tour'.... both glaciers, Breviers and the 7 consistent parts of Tignes and Val all covered in one day - I reckon a 100km give or take day all in! Wow. They are really keen on it so we are going for first to last lifts I think and they will be shattered by the end but we shall see how we go! Early night and lots of carbs boys!

A very chilled night after picking Olivia up (a tired Olivia) from the creche and giving her her dinner and bath!

I was sent this video of the heli blasting of the Genepi ridge in Tignes last week - an alternative angle from what was previously posted! You actually see the chopper do the drop and then at 3.30 the blast and the subsequent slide - pretty big all round!

http://youtube.com/v/K9cPXX3UgXo

rc30matt and Mike-H - thanks.... but yea although the weather is changing in the next 48 hours I would not look ay further ahead then about Sunday at this stage.... there will be plenty of nice skiing to be had but with a top up of snow it will be lovely out there.

chrisrawles - yea the queues should have gone by then as the Parisians should mostly be gone by then.... it will be some school hols so there will be people around so it certainly won't be dead but quieter than this week.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Go Pro's fuels reckless behaviours on the slopes in some people.

I agree
snow report
red 27 wrote:
Quote:
Go Pro's fuels reckless behaviours on the slopes in some people.

I agree

That is not always true. As you will see in the link below, my Mrs was not showing off / being reckless. She is very cautious, especially after having kids. Some people want to take away memories (in this case not good ones unfortunately) hence having a GoPro (the modern day version of a Polaroid)

The reason we have just bought a GoPro is that I’m off to Japan tomorrow for the first and probably only time and wanted to record some powder runs. This clip was us getting it set up correctly, it was just bad luck that some tosser WITHOUT a GoPro crashed into her.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=117454

pam w wrote:
you're a great Dad, Steve! snowHead

I know. @Steve Angus, Please stop this, you’re making the rest of us look bad Smile. Hope you Clare and Oliva are all well, been dipping into this thread and have a touch of the green eyed monster!
latest report
trainee snowboard jedi and red 27 - yea I know.... hence why I said 'some' people.... I know it is not the case in all people. I have also read what Mrs T.S.J put on Facebook trainee snowboard jedi and what you have put above and looked at the other thread from your trip and video... unfortunately school holiday weeks such as this week are just crazy... often the Parisians but not so sure nationality alone dictates it. However those who know me will recognise that I so wish that some of the good things from North American skiing would come to the European market and I really think Europe as a whole and in general is losing ground to North America simply due to everyone washing their hands (individuals and resorts as a whole) of taking the 'problems' by the neck and throttling it into shape. I do not wholly believe in the overly managed and 'wrapped in cotton wool' approach on the other hand but it is everyone for themselves and that in itself is leading to a degradation of the pastime we love on the mountains. However what I am trying to say (as an example) is that often people thought things such as Go Pro's / Ski Tracks the app push themselves to 'bigger' things without realising that they are nowhere near being good enough to achieve these things.... it was only a few seasons ago a young seasonnaire was racing himself down the Solaise Red here in Val and careered into a snow cannon and died... would he have done that if he did not have Ski Tracks the app.... perhaps, perhaps not, but the app was the catalyst to attempt it - to have a goal that put himself in the vulnerable position. I could take a stance on modern ski equipment - so called shaped skis.... in that many people (instructors I know) believe that the new equipment is leading to poorer skiers on the slope in that the user perceives they are 'x' good but the older equipment actually forced you to be more proficient and in doing so you actually understood your limitations - modern skis one could argue means many people are yet to realise how poor their technique is as the more modern skis never allow you to understand how much there is to learn before tackling a black run for example. I am not saying that is necessarily my view but there are plenty of mountain professionals (pisteurs, instructors etc) who believe this but ski manufacturers have it in their interests to fuel the ego's of people buying their skis by creating this image of certain skis allowing you to do xyz.... I personally find it much easier to teach an old dog new tricks on skis (so to speak) as the old dog has plenty of miles under those skis and although the technique / skillful application may need work the experience far outweighs the perceived proficiency of a young pup full of testosterone etc! Modern technology must prevail but without consequences and 'checks' in place the situation will only get worse. Yes the industry for which I rely on for an income may well contract if there boundaries (for example) put in place but with each passing near miss on the hill the oneupmanship and oblivious every man for himself attitude will lead to unchecked anarchy over time.... the few who chose to stay within their boundaries and respect the FIS 'rules' of the hills are diminishing in numbers and slowly but surely it must be addressed. OK enough said.... sorry you had a bad experience on hols trainee snowboard jedi! BUT ENJOY JAPAN and catch you soon.
ski holidays
@trainee snowboard jedi, Having reviewed the footage, it's clear that in your wife's case the go-pro did indeed fuel reckless behaviour - just not from her.

My commiserations regarding your trip to Chatel. I hated it there too. The cheaper the resort the worse the punters, the Les 2 Alps being the ultimate example
latest report
The picture Steve paints above is scary, but I don't think it's typical, or widespread. I rarely see reckless or dangerous skiing or people way out of control, or rude behaviour in lift queues in my area and I don't agree the
Quote:

The cheaper the resort the worse the punters,

It's not as simple as that. There are loads of small French areas (and, I'm sure, Austrian, Swiss and Italian areas too) where the vast majority of visitors, the vast majority of the time, are well behaved and considerate.

But these few weeks - especially New Year and half term/Paris holidays - are when you see it at its worst, whether it's a big name resort or a small one. If you can possibly avoid those weeks you could have a wholly different, and more benign, impression of what it's all about.

Is there any evidence that Europe is missing out to North America?
ski holidays
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Well after that last post this one will be shorter and more factual!

Another sunny day and I met the boys at the chalet nice and early.... so the plan was simple.... both Val and Tignes glaciers to the top and down to Brev and back to Val all in one day.... the trick was going to be to pace ourselves - a marathon rather than a sprint... avoiding lift queues. It took some planning in my mind to get a route that would be not too tiring (one 11 year and 14 year old boy), encompass as much nice snow as possible and avoid snarl ups (even with using the ski school lines!). Anyway it would see us take 19 lifts (never the same lift twice) but we did it. Ill post the screenshot from Charlie's Ski Tracks App (hypocritical you might think but it was just used as a record of facts rather then baiting /egging ourselves on with it!) tomorrow as I thought it might be fun to have a guess at how many km's you think we covered!

Anyway it was a jolly tiring day for us all. However WE DID IT.... at shortly after 4pm we rolled into La Daille which also meant we had passed through ALL the 7 'area's of the EK.

Val glacier about 10am! Tignes glacier in the distance.

Tignes glacier about 12.45pm.... Mont Blanc in the distance

We stopped (cant remember the name now) at the place at the top of the the Chaudannes lift and the food there is great value and one of the best omelettes I have ever had - AWESOME! All morning I had been ploughing the boys with the water and mini choc bars so that we would be able to ski through and take a late lunch which would mean we could tick off some more miles and lifts whilst it was quiet at luchtime.

Brev at about 3pm before heading home!

Couple of other other great pics from today...

So post how many KM's (in total all in) you think the whole circuit was! I will post the screenshot tomorrow but some other interesting stats from today...

Average speed only 16.6km/h
12695m total vertical (up and down covered!)
Typical slope angle skied - 26 degrees (typically blue runs!)
6 hrs 41 mins and 46 seconds from the second we stepped onto the Fornet cable car to start to when we arrived at La Daille!

Anyway folks thats all for now - one more day with the the family tomorrow then a day off on Sunday!

Weather wise it should snow quite heavily tomorrow (from the afternoon onwards) BUT the resort will be just about as busy next week as this but without the Brits in town - another main French (Parisian) holiday week !!!!!! So if you are travelling tomorrow then you could have a tough one!
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, as usual, you talk sense, and we were saying the same thing about North America whilst in Chatel, especially whilst in the appalling French lift queues. I've only been to Whistler, but they seem to have it right.

If you recall, Sally and I were on the Solaise Express with you as they were giving CPR to that Seasonaire, we remember it well, it was a horrible scene and very sobering. I am fairly sure that Ski Tracks (and probably age) contributed to his bravado.

red 27 wrote:
@trainee snowboard jedi, Having reviewed the footage, it's clear that in your wife's case the go-pro did indeed fuel reckless behaviour - just not from her.

My commiserations regarding your trip to Chatel. I hated it there too. The cheaper the resort the worse the punters, the Les 2 Alps being the ultimate example

Thanks and funny you should say, we went to Les 2 Alps in 2009 and swore we'd never going back! All roads seem to lead back to Espace Killy.....
latest report
I'd like to understand what Steve meant about North America too as I have no idea what he was referring to having never been there. Steve can you clarify please?

Great pictures by the way, lovely!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 20-02-15 21:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Steve Angus, Looks stunning and quiet, and sounds like you had a great day (off to cry into a beer now the kids are in bed)
snow conditions
Quote:
Is there any evidence that Europe is missing out to North America?

The Crystal and SCGB annual reports amongst others show interesting stats each year - a marginal (but sustained) swing.

HOWEVER I am SO pleased to hear that you don't see things such as what I reported in your neck of the woods and I respect your opinions as I know you have plenty of experience. Yes lesser commercialised resorts and outside of school hols will always be a different kettle of fish but it is great to hear that in your experiences there is another way - phew - restoring faith here!
latest report
Minion1980 - I mainly meant (just one example) the customer care principle.... sniffle stations, single lines for lifts, highly developed controls on the slopes such as 'courtesy patrols' - some of these things have downsides too I should add (e.g. the mountain control everything therefore prices and variety (as an example are manipulated!)) but the ability of the resort to improve safety on their slopes by clipping passes as an example (it is a difficult thing to control and has big problems associated with it to) does at least mean that the 'buck' stops somewhere.... in Europe it is everyone for themselves! On the flip side I HATE the North American model of a 'ski area' this mean no one really learns about avalanche awareness whereas in Europe as soon as you step off the side of the piste you must take responsibility as a result one could argue there is less safety awareness off piste in North America as you are not allowed out of the ski area boundary in some places!
snow conditions
Thanks for the explanation Steve and I'm loving the blog this year as always.
snow report
Quote:

especially whilst in the appalling French lift queues

it's peak time. The worst queues reported this week have been in Austria (Lofer) where one SH took an hour and 45 minutes to get up the mountain. And we have pictures of the scariest queues in the world in....... Whistler! Other parts of Austria and France have reported queues not too bad - 10 - 15 minute max (though to me a 15 minute wait is horrendous!).

I mostly ski in France (because I have an apartment there not because I think it's the only place to ski). I ski off and on (not fanatically, and rarely all day) for the whole season other than the 5 big holiday weeks and I practically never queue, and frequently am one of the only people on the slope. I don't pay more than about £2.20 for a small beer or more than about £12 for a good lunch with wine and a coffee. (at current exchange rates which have suddenly made everything cheaper!!). My season lift pass, for a lift-linked area big by the standards of anywhere but France (192 kms) cost €385. People who spend most of their time in the big name resorts, especially at peak times, can get a very distorted picture of what, for most of the people, most of the time, is a relaxed, civilized kind of a way to ski, in very beautiful surroundings. If I want a 2 hour private lesson I can take two friends along and pay £53 - £63 for the three of us, depending on high or low season.

There might be a slight swing to N America amongst British skiers but British skiers are only one small part of the picture of European skiing (albeit quite a big minority in a handful of resorts across the Alps). This year many of them will have wished they'd stayed in the Alps. Twisted Evil

I spent the first week of February in the Dolomites on the SHs Birthday Bash. I don't believe there is a ski area in North America which could hold a candle to it, from the point of view of scenery, quality and value of food and drink on the slopes, varied and enjoyable skiing, excellent lift system and hundreds and hundreds of miles of piste. And we only queued once, and that was not for long. There is a bit of oompah oompah in some places but nowhere's perfect. wink

I don't think we need sound the death knell for European skiing just yet.
snow conditions
@pam w, Queues in Whistler because all other north shore resorts are closed and it was the peak holiday week - terrible season in BC. I bailed and have forked out an extra £450 each for me and MrHL to move to Sun Peaks in 2 weeks - so new internal flights and new accommodation
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hope you have a good time in the new destination @holidayloverxx. The SHs photos I've seen of queues in Whistler were a couple of years ago - not this year. I think it was one of their specially busy weekends. You could take pictures of any ski resort which would be wholly unrepresentative (for good or ill) of what they're like most of the time.

I said we needn't be too despairing about European skiing but if I were in Val d'Isere or Lofer this week I'd be feeling rather glum about it too!
ski holidays
I hate whole Go-Pro culture, it is just another part of the "look at me" technology and social media revolution, which is focused upon image rather than hard learnt/earned skills. I see far to many people skidding down the hill rather than skiing, they no doubt feel that the faster they ski, the better they are.

I also see people venturing off-piste without the necessary skills or risk management, give them a pair of fat rockered skis and a transceiver and they think that they are Scott Schmidt. I remember getting laughed at in a friendly manner by a group as we were in the queue for the Grand Montets telepherique with my 166 Head World Cup SL's but if you can ski powder riding those you can ski anything.

I do get the Ski Tracks thing though, it's nice to reflect on the days achievements, at first it was tempting to push on and set the new world speed record but now I have just settled into a an easy rhythm and I only really look at the vertical drop skied. It's nice to crack 10,000m in a day but to be honest I had a 6,000m powder day a few weeks ago that left me exhausted and much more fulfilled.

The North America/Europe debate is interesting, I agree with Steve about the sanitation of NA but it is great to be able to ski lines like the Hobacks in Jackson safe in the knowledge that the area has been assessed and managed. I think one of the main issues in Europe is too many cowboys stepping off piste without skills/guide/assessment. From what I have seen the average back country/off-piste skier in NA is much better skilled and equipped than in Europe, so maybe the whole ski boundary concept actually provides some definition as to where you need to consider avalanche safety?
latest report
Quote:

The cheaper the resort the worse the punters

If you are talking in terms of poor skiing this is absolutely not the case in my experience. EK has just as many idiots as anywhere else and being a fairly busy resort they are probably more noticeable.
Not criticising the average slope user there who as elsewhere seems perfectly sensible but it certainly gets its fair share of idiots.

Quote:

The Crystal and SCGB annual reports amongst others show interesting stats each year - a marginal (but sustained) swing.

Interesting because judging by queries on this website I would guess that North America has lost clientele in recent year (which I has assumed was due to exchange rates rather than anything else)
snow report
111.16 km?
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

especially whilst in the appalling French lift queues

it's peak time. The worst queues reported this week have been in Austria (Lofer) where one SH took an hour and 45 minutes to get up the mountain. And we have pictures of the scariest queues in the world in....... Whistler! Other parts of Austria and France have reported queues not too bad - 10 - 15 minute max (though to me a 15 minute wait is horrendous!).

I mostly ski in France (because I have an apartment there not because I think it's the only place to ski). I ski off and on (not fanatically, and rarely all day) for the whole season other than the 5 big holiday weeks and I practically never queue, and frequently am one of the only people on the slope. I don't pay more than about £2.20 for a small beer or more than about £12 for a good lunch with wine and a coffee. (at current exchange rates which have suddenly made everything cheaper!!). My season lift pass, for a lift-linked area big by the standards of anywhere but France (192 kms) cost €385. People who spend most of their time in the big name resorts, especially at peak times, can get a very distorted picture of what, for most of the people, most of the time, is a relaxed, civilized kind of a way to ski, in very beautiful surroundings. If I want a 2 hour private lesson I can take two friends along and pay £53 - £63 for the three of us, depending on high or low season.

There might be a slight swing to N America amongst British skiers but British skiers are only one small part of the picture of European skiing (albeit quite a big minority in a handful of resorts across the Alps). This year many of them will have wished they'd stayed in the Alps. Twisted Evil

I spent the first week of February in the Dolomites on the SHs Birthday Bash. I don't believe there is a ski area in North America which could hold a candle to it, from the point of view of scenery, quality and value of food and drink on the slopes, varied and enjoyable skiing, excellent lift system and hundreds and hundreds of miles of piste. And we only queued once, and that was not for long. There is a bit of oompah oompah in some places but nowhere's perfect. wink

I don't think we need sound the death knell for European skiing just yet.

That is for sure, and we are looking to buy in France because we like it.

My comment about the queue was a bit flippant and based on last weeks experience, where people were just pushing in left right & centre, and also using the instructor lane when they clearly weren't having lessons.

Can I ask, where is your place? Sounds like a great location and very reasonably priced. Very envious, and one day we'd like to be able to choose not to ski the peak weeks, but for now, out hands are unfortunately tied.

Dolomites is on our list to look at, never been, but heard good reports.
snow conditions
Hmm...not convinced that North America has it sorted quite yet, having had a trip to Lake Tahoe and Squaw valley this Jan. Granted the conditions were dire...no snow for over 3 weeks when we arrived, very mild. That had rendered in bounds off piste unskiable where there was snow, but basically bare from mid station. Piste sking was all there was, probably 30km of slopes in total and about 20km in the next door (not lift connected but on same pass) ski area of Alpine meadows. Weekend pistes crowded. On mountain food was non existent to dire. Any restaurants owned by the mountain company at the bottom were run with cost at the forefront of their mind. Staff -many South Americans being paid peanuts, aroma of dope lingered around many. Lift passes extortionate, unless you buy a season pass. We went down to Heavenly for the day, but decided not to pay the $115 each for a day lift pass because of the limited ski area being open, and no sense there, or anywhere, that the lift company would offer discounted on passes despite the limitations on the ski area.
Ski school...stepson and his girlfriend teaching in the kids skis school. They are BASI level 2 in their second season. They were some of the best qualified instructors on the hill. Adult ski school instructors - apparently about 6 full time, kids ski school well over 200. Private lesson $700 for a day, irrespective of the qualification of the instructor. (Not that the instructor himself gets that, he gets about $150 and hopes for a big tip). L pointed out one adult group with an "instructor" whose technique even to my eyes, would suggest he would struggle to get his level one cert (clearly in backseat). Surprisingly not many adults took lessons! So...there is little incentive to improve, and ultimately,ski more safely with better technique.
snow report
@trainee snowboard jedi, my place is in the Espace Diamant.

@Perty, that does sound really rather dismal; sorry you had such a poor experience. People complain about the ski school/instructor set up in France - which is indeed not perfect - but it's more open and competitive than almost all the alternatives, it seems.

When there is so little snow some dope in the caff sounds like not a bad idea. wink
ski holidays
@pam w, thanks, just had a quick look and looks like a good ski area, my only concern would be how snow sure it is be based on the height. Is this just a perception? What is your personal experience of this like?
ski holidays
@trainee snowboard jedi, see the Espace Diamant thread rather than hijack this one.
ski holidays
pam w makes sense what you say and some balanced observations which is always refreshing to see!!!!.... and hope holidayloverxx the holiday ends up being a success all in all! It always made me laugh (I taught in Whistler for several seasons in the early 00's) that they took snow measurements etc at the top of the mountain which gave a severaly distorted overall view of conditions.... the amount of rain at lower altitudes was crazy in my time there. However the weather stations could make (or break) the headlines. Again like run colour classifications there is no set leveller for where the weather / snow depth etc measurements should be taken globally in each resort!

JeanPaulValley
Quote:

I hate whole Go-Pro culture, it is just another part of the "look at me" technology and social media revolution, which is focused upon image rather than hard learnt/earned skills. I see far to many people skidding down the hill rather than skiing, they no doubt feel that the faster they ski, the better they are.

.... some jolly good observations there!.... and just read the rest of what you say and I'm on your wavelength there. The off piste / 'controlled area' / av awareness idea..... yea there is always upsides and downsides to things - fair enough!

T Bar - yea we get our fair share of idiots... we perhaps get more than our fair share - difficult to judge isn't it. There are plenty of people drawn here for the reputation of challenging skiing (or not - not me to decide that).... some do have the skills but most don't but just want to say (for example) they have skied the Face (again for example).... are they 'skiing it' or 'surviving it' and those who are 'surviving it' probably don't realise it. It is interesting to note that technically I often see better skiers EARLIER in their ski lives on green runs before they start putting themselves out of their comfort zones on harder slopes etc.... not always but often..... arguing the toss we have to remember that adrenalin and the challenge of harder runs is often the draw of the sport so I am NOT blaming people in any shape but it is interesting.... the number of times a 'group' will be skiing a slope together and it is actually the slowest person at the back who is often the best technically and more capable of being challenged more (if indeed they wanted to be challenged more that is!).

Think the various reports are perhaps the most scientific source we have of the data for visitor numbers to North America / Europe! In the same report (given by Frank McCusker) presented at the snowsports trade event LISTEX (http://www.listex.co.uk) in London, that I attended last year on behalf of my ski school there was also reference made to the Nett Promotoer Score (NPP) - this basically is a score per destination of how likely a person would be to promote that destination to another person they know which is a powerful reference tool for resorts and countries etc. Anyway France as an example had a low score versus Canada - does that mean France has a shrinking market share - no it is increasing mainly because Switzerland became more expensive recently and people came to France as well as Austria (on the whole) instead - so it is a complicated picture!

Perty - I hear you but I am NOT SAYING THAT NORTHA AMERICA HAS IT ALL CORRECT. I actually also taught at Sierra in Tahoe pre Whistler days and the employment model is not ideal shall we say! Ski teaching is NOT seen as a career over there hence they rely on lots of 'one season wonders' - again there are exceptions to the rules. I actually know an instructor who lives in New Zealand and did about 40 back to back to Winters between Vail and Coronet Peak who only had her Level 1 PSIA qualification which is a short and basic course to say the least.... she loved teaching the little ones to ski and did VERY well out of it and got lots in tips BUT by her own admission could not ski very well. Yes Pam W - France has a very open and competitive business model that is for sure.

Anyway I am hijacking my own thread here AND I STILL HAVE NOT WRITTEN YESTERDAYS BLOG YET SO MUST DO THAT IN A MOMENT!

I suppose the 20 odd years I have been in this industry and the dozen or so countries I have taught in as well as various facets of the industry I have worked in has taught me a few things so I have opinions, but opinions are just that so it is always good to hear others experiences etc too!
snow report

Apologies for not posting yesterday... was so tired by the end.

It was a grey and windy day in the EK yesterday and I met for the last time at the chalet and the plan was for a chilled family ski around but I was asked to take those who could down the Face. It was much quieter (of course) on the slopes and we had an enjoyable morning. The Val Park was open for a short period of time so we got a run or two through that too which was fun for the kids!

I branched of with a couple of the kids before lunch to do the Face and they did very well on it... bravo. I will put together a video of their week in the next few days too so will post that here!

The weather detioriated a little as the day went on so the boys wanted a pick up and opted for lunch at the Folie.... I did warn them that it was perhaps the most expensive place to eat on the mountain but they really wanted to go (the Dad gave me some lunch money so I had enough for them).... but still it is not the cheapest place and €75 for lunch for three is rather a lot and we were hardly extravagant in our choices! Anyway it was enjoyed!

By 4 we were back at the chalet and Clare and Olivia popped around so the family could meet her (Olivia)... I have known this family for about 8 years now so know them pretty well these days!

Anyway after Olivia's bath and bed I too was ready for bed so called it an early night.

One more photo to share with you.... not sure posters such as this should be displayed in public loo's like at the Folie where youngsters can see them should it?

Todays update later on. However I hope everyone reading this got home safely yesterday - the traffic was awful I here - with heavy snow around the Lyon and Chambery area meaning the motorway was at a standstill which on a holiday changeover day such as yesterday is never a good thing. I even heard some people had to camp in shelters like happened before New Year!
latest report
JeanPaulValley wrote:

I don't agree this is a fair statement to make. Me and the missus both use GoPros for 2 reasons.

1. We like to put a short video together after our holiday because these are better than looking at boring photos.

2. I look at both our riding styles (we are boarders) and look at things to work on for the next day.

I am currently waiting to re-sit my instructor exam and find this a very useful way of keeping my mind thinking like an instructor.

I however agree that there are groups of people that charge around out of control trying to look "cool". But not everyone is like that.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy