Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots life span?

Poster: A snowHead
How long should a pair of ski boots last before you upgrade to a new pair? How many weeks use, or how many years?
What wears out first in a pair of ski boots, and so how should you look after them best to protect against this?

I would guess that it depends on how you use them, and what type of skier you are. I would use mine until I cannot use them any more. The first pair I bought was stolen after 10 years use. The second pair are still doing fine! Buckles might break, or rust I suppose. The base might get worn if you walk on gravel too much. Other than that, they are fairly robust things ski boots!

Aha, mice can eat the lining if you are not careful. Some of my foam has been nibbled by mice!

NehNeh
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you believe the people who sell boots, you should have two pairs a season. On the other hand, my last pair did me 10 seasons, varying amounts of use. Mr L gets through a pair of snowboard boots every two seasons on average, riding every day.

Never had a mouse problem though, very funny. Possibly down to having three cats in the house.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had an old pair that we left in the shed pending "what shall we do with them?".

Noticed that one had been filled up with a wasp's nest...that would have been the deciding factor if we hadn't already bought new ones from CEM (thus proving the truth, yet again, of my other thread I just put on here).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bigtipper, Certain makes of older boot were liable for the plastic to gradually go brittle, resulting in an exploded boot, like this.

Shocked

I believe a certain Snowhead was seen to suffer an exploding boot at Hemel snowdome a few years ago. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard,

people who fit boots will tell you that on a well fitted boot the liner will be worn out after appox 120 skier days (20 weeks of skiing so for the average skier doing 2 weeks a year 10 years,) the shells will probably last twice as long assuming you haven't walked 1000miles and worn the soles off them, an after market liner in most cases will extend the life of the boot, some liners last less, some more

other factors include the fit of the boot, the way it is looked after, is it dried out, stored clipped up in a dry temperature stable environment etc etc

plastic quality has improved significantly over the past few years so exploding boots *should* be a thing of the past

as for the guys who just sell boots then yeah 2 pairs a season sounds about right
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM, sounds like I got reasonable use out of mine then. I bought new ones because the inner fabric was coming away from the boot liner and rubbing my foot. Other than that I was well happy with the boots - Salomon XWave 8s as I remember. Less happy with the new ones, but I think that has more to do with me and my habits than the new boots.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM,
Quote:

well fitted boot the liner will be worn out after appox 120 skier days

So mine, after 104 ski days, plus 400 - 500 dry slope sessions are entitled to be knackered then Sad

Looks like I'll be after a new pair soon.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have plenty of clients that have had their boots for 7-9 years, still going strong after an average of 80 days per year, with no liner, footbed or any other changes except the odd rivet and buckle.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was rather hoping someone was going to say, with authority, that 2 weeks is the absolute max. Then I could go an buy some new kit.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dr John, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dr John, My Health and Safety Advisor tells me that using the same boots after one week will kill me and that the resulting fall will probably kill 14 other people plus take out a lift station.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mine become antisocially odourous after 120 days or so.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, you still talking about boots?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, Febreze. Gets rid of the smell of cat wee, so it must be good for absolutely anything. Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So, my X-Wave 8s bought in Dec 2002 are about half way through their 120 ski days lifespan. If I decided to buy new boots now, rather than waiting another 9 years would I notice any improvement in design / technology since 2002 that will help/ improve my skiing, or should I just keep using my old, comfortable ones until they wear out?
ski holidays
I too have the Salomon X Wave 8's, have used 6 weeks a year since 2003, still comfortable and in good condition.

Are Salomon the best boots to buy for value?
latest report
Lizzard, nope. rubbish. Have tried all flavours including Italian and Swiss versions.

Rubbish.

Ski Tyke, nope. No improvements in technology (although some do like the offset angles of the Fischer Soma and the previous Nordicas).

1969jma, I don't believe so, but for once I make no claims to be expert.
snow report
Just resurrecting this topic.

I have done 50 weeks in my 2014/5 Scott Voodoo NTN blue / green boots. The liners have definitely compressed but I wonder about the shells?
Physically in OK condition but more concerned with softening of plastic.
Can get a new 2018 Voodoo for £249, or just liners at around £200.
Almost seems a no brainer to get the new boots? Unless of course liners like Intuition are well worth it and the shells are OK.
latest report
I still have the boots I had when I started this thread. I have examined them closely to check for any cracks, or wear and tear. Still going fine, and still very comfortable to wear. I think ski boots became much more comfortable to wear for me when I lost about 5-6 stone in weight. This happened to co-incide with when I bought a new pair of boots. One of the two reasons (new boots or weight loss) improved the blood circulation in my feet when skiing.
snow conditions
I've found foam liners get to about 150 -180 days before they become unusable. So shelling (pun intended) out €180 every couple of years seems damn good value. The longest shell I've had has lasted 7 years but was retired cause I smashed a buckle off it and the cost of a spare was not really worth it.

My foot bed from Small Zookeepers gaff is still fitting well after 10 years. And I've had it checked by a race fitter too just in case.
snow report
I am using a pair of Salomon SX 92 Equipes. They would have been made in the 80s. As they are more comfortable than any other boot I have tried I am hanging on to them.

I also get good control with out having to continually tighten the clips.
snow conditions
@TQA, I had a pair in 89-90 switched back to 4clips in 90-91 (I was doing seasons, skiing everyday, justifiable).

I am skeptical that your comfort is not because you have too few control surfaces in contact, and that you have better control in them, than you would have in a well fitted 4clip.
snow report
@colinstone, Colin, your question is more marked as your talking tele and there’s a considerable mechanical issue there.

I’d ask someone who knows what they’re talking about. I could imagine the plastic degrading.

But I can also imagine purple unicorns.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@TQA, I had a pair in 89-90 switched back to 4clips in 90-91 (I was doing seasons, skiing everyday, justifiable).

I am skeptical that your comfort is not because you have too few control surfaces in contact, and that you have better control in them, than you would have in a well fitted 4clip.

I was forced to try the 4 clip route when my Salomon SX 90 Equipes finally died.

I spent more than 2000 $ US on 4 clip boots wasted hours in boot fitting shops and had a miserable season. I was at the point of giving up skiing when I stumbled across the SX 92s described as almost unused on Craigslist. I tried them on and my feet said 'were back home' and " PAY THE MAN "

It was a revelation I am a US size 12 and have high arches. I can set the boots up to give me good lateral control and minimal heel lift without the boots hurting. In fact I do them up in the morning and often leave them done up through lunch. I still ski fast and on 200cm skis.

The best fitting 4 clip boots had me reaching down to unclip 2 of the clips at the end of every run. I could not wait to get them off.
ski holidays
@TQA, 200cm skis...

OK. Says it all.

You don’t need such positive inputs on straight skis.

(I ski modern 203s, when the mood takes me)
snow conditions
They should last a long time if you rub Dubbin into them every night before you go to bed after you have dried them out by the fire.

I think its also a good idea to replace the laces every couple of years or carry a spare set, it much better than having knots in them.

If they are getting a bit thin on the soles or the heals its a good idea to walk on the grass till you can afford to take them to the cobblers.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@TQA, 200cm skis...

OK. Says it all.

You don’t need such positive inputs on straight skis.

(I ski modern 203s, when the mood takes me)

My skis are Atomic Beta Carve 9 18s and I think they qualify as shaped skis. They certainly carve nicely without much effort. I also have a pair of Volkl Platinum P40s which I like but as they are heavier my weak knee gives out sooner.
snow report
TQA wrote:
under a new name wrote:

I was forced to try the 4 clip route when my Salomon SX 90 Equipes finally died.

I spent more than 2000 $ US on 4 clip boots wasted hours in boot fitting shops and had a miserable season. I was at the point of giving up skiing when I stumbled across the SX 92s described as almost unused on Craigslist. I tried them on and my feet said 'were back home' and " PAY THE MAN "

It was a revelation I am a US size 12 and have high arches. I can set the boots up to give me good lateral control and minimal heel lift without the boots hurting. In fact I do them up in the morning and often leave them done up through lunch. I still ski fast and on 200cm skis.

The best fitting 4 clip boots had me reaching down to unclip 2 of the clips at the end of every run. I could not wait to get them off.

probably related to your high arch but my best guess is that you have a limited range of motion at your ankle joint, people with this problem love rear entry boots as anything with an overlap and a fixed angle of forward lean normally cripples them
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

they qualify as shaped skis

@TQA, technically, yes. But they are very old tech... If you ski East coast well, maybe, but I'd be looking to update if I used them often enough.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy