Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Race boots for GS

Poster: A snowHead
Firstly hello -just joined the forum after someone reccomended it to me.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good resources for finding out about race boots. I have spent the last couple of seasons in some rossi's but am getting more in to GS and want to find something a bit stiffer than the regular versions in the shops. I think the WC version will be a bit stiff - about 160 I think.

Any ideas of race boots that are about 140 and good places or contacts so that I can get hold of a pair at a good price - all the training does not come cheap!! Quite keen on finding out more about heads and nordicas but have no idea of a good place to buy them. Atomics have been no good in the past - cuff does not come high enough up my shin - I am 6ft 4.

Any ideas gratefully received. Puzzled Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
waitingforwinter, welcome! (do I recognise your name from elsewhere Wink )
You mention 160/140 - if you're talking about the stiffness of the boot, then be aware that these are not standard ratings, so a 140 in a Rossi may be the equivalent of a 100 in an Atomic. What I would say is try as many on as you can!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any recommendations for shops with a good choice of race boots - preferably in the South West?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
waitingforwinter, Have a chat with the folks at Bartletts www.Skibartlett.co.uk (I think), they'll help you out. Speed test ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yup speed test it is. Sorted for everything just think I ought to invest in some new boots this year. Old ones are fine for teaching in - very comfortable but getting a bit soft and slippery (as in grandad) for racing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
waitingforwinter, First off, I'm WAY to old for the speed test, but I do a bit of racing on the plastic. I ski on Lange 120 Comps - which are way softer that the XR9s I used to use, did the APC1 last year with someone who had the 130 - looked much stiffer. You may find that all you need is a new pair of (stiff) regular boots that fit properly - boots do get softer with age...Apologies if teaching you to suck eggs. Puzzled rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
waitingforwinter, welcome also. Getting "plug" boots is a bit harder in the UK generally for example. Bartletts an excellent suggestion.

140 and 160 sound kind of too high numbers. From Rossi's site the standard top boot (Elite Pro 1 Ltd) has flex of 120/110. That said, in the "race centre" on the US site there is a plug boot with flex of "Flexes: soft/soft - G6010 med/med - G6020". Not very helpful, is it.

Another thought, my GF likes a rigid boot and had to order her Lange 130s specially in Italy - they're considered too stiff to be generally popular. I believe that 130 is common across all manufacturers as being about as stiff as they sell without getting into the realms of true race dept boots. I may, of course, be entirely wrong Happy

What Rossi's have you just come out of?

WTFH is right, you need to try them on. Also, you might find that absolute stiffness is not necessarily what you need - Raichle Flexons were well thought of in the 80s/90s IIRC although generally softer than most race boots of the time because of their different flex mechanics.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
waitingforwinter, If Bartletts can't help you may be able to order race boots through the importers with a BASI
discount.

The stiffness shouldn't matter, you are not supposed to be able to bend them. Unless you are quite heavy you won't
need a "medium" flex.

If you are going to be training in Tignes, Favre Sport is able to order race department Rossignol kit.

I would recommend Precision in Val d'Isere, but they don't open until the winter season starts.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Footworks have the lot. Race department F.I.S regulation; atomic, rosingnol/lange(colour difference), salomon,nordica,tecnica and head. They will tune the flex based on; weight, hight, leg length and boot sole length. However if you are serious, take a week to get it right. Book an appointment at the start of the week and then return to get the flex tuned. It will make the difference. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, do you keep a small zoo? Or are you not very large?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm very small, therfore,
as too,
is my zoo,
hows about you?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Would you like to join our snowheads splinter faction? We are all apparently quite vertically blessed (more oxygen at lower altitudes) and I like to call us the "Tall Napoleons". Sadly I don´t have a zoo although I used to have a pair of guinea pigs?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, no, with those talents you need to join the Glorious Days of Colour team Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have my own body,Convivinal Vivisectionists.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Do you work at Footworks?

I got my boots there, and they are excellent, would thoroughly recommend them.
snow report
I've spent a little time there over the years. Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy