Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carving is Boring..

Poster: A snowHead
How can anyone take you guys seriously when you spend half the time eulogising amongst each other about pathetic little snowdomes you're going to visit or have visited. Are those the places you do most of your carving, wow!
I'm such a great skier and blader, I even surprise myself. Carving Stinks! Razz
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry old chap can't be bothered to visit a snowdome, to far to go for too little ski time, in the mean time where do you get your head gear from ? given the size of your ego does it have to be custom made Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ise wrote:
ssh wrote:
ise, I'm a certified instructor (aren't you just so impressed??!! rolling eyes ) and I have every confidence in hailing you as an expert lift rider! Tell your friends! Laughing

ah, it's the internet, we're all expert something, my expertise. In fact I'm not an expert lift rider at all if I'm honest, at least according to Mrs Ise I'm not, the chair lists to one side apparently.

Laughing

That's 'cause she's too light! Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
D G Orf, Ok the Les Arcs speed ski slope is the fastest there is, but the trainer took the 11/12 year olds down it (starting half way down) last week, and my 11 year old clocked 128kph on GS skis. One 12 year old managed 132 kph. They're going to use the proper gear next time, apparently. I shan't be there to watch Neutral
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Maximus, hmmm.... London to closest real snow is how long?

Better check my address (and PG's for that matter!) before tossing out your epithets! Razz
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PG of course Maximus says he's so good but none of us have seen him ski, or have we ? is there anyone out there who knows maximus and can vouch for his claims of speed and style, if so please contact the sports council and direct them to his door as I'm sure he'd like to prove himself against some real ski racers Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ise, Hey you're no slouch, howsabout telling Maximus Ego how easy it was to keep up with that 11 year old at Tignes last November!

(PS after your description of the conditions at Flaine, I'm sticking around here tomorrow. Rain up to 2000 at Les Arcs today Crying or Very sad )
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
and mine.................

and I can carve, any pair of skis, any shape or a snowboard
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
D G Orf wrote:
Maximus beware of putting your money where your mouth is, some youn skiers go phenomenenly fast, I watched the Wengen ski club go down a slope with a speed gun on it this year, not one was less than 65 kph and one was well over 90 kph faster than I'd be willing to do that slope, and they were not even racing, if the kids PG has in mind are anything like that most people would be hard pressed to beat them, especially if they think you'll eat them for breakfast, if you catch them Laughing

My quickest time on ski's is 117. 84kph and that was on the flying K 20 years ago starting on the novice block! I would definitely be a lot faster today..probably beat the World record. If those kids you talk of are so good..why has this country never produced a World Champion?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf, He's welcome to come to Les Arcs anytime and see how it's done. He can even try to skid down the GS course if he likes.... the kids'll give him a couple of gates start, just so as not to humiliate him too much Wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maximus, bored today, eh?

I think I'll go find something useful to discuss... rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maximus, 117.84kph? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Did you read the time my 11 year old did last week? 128 kph. From the half-way point. And she weighs 32 kgs. You just haven't got a clue, have you Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think we should congratulate Maximus, on apretty decent wind-up. He got us going and has only just got to the point where the irony is obvious.

Respect.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf wrote:
PG of course Maximus says he's so good but none of us have seen him ski, or have we ? is there anyone out there who knows maximus and can vouch for his claims of speed and style, if so please contact the sports council and direct them to his door as I'm sure he'd like to prove himself against some real ski racers Laughing

If anybody wants the privilege and honour of seeing me ski and blade, you will have to pay for it by being in Mottaret from the 13th April and I will be staying at Hotel Les Arolles, I know it will be difficult for some of you to tear yourselves away from the snowdomes but by watching me it will definitely make you better skiers.. Cool
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PG wrote:
Maximus, 117.84kph? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Did you read the time my 11 year old did last week? 128 kph. From the half-way point. And she weighs 32 kgs. You just haven't got a clue, have you Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Yeah, in your dreams, PG Razz
ski holidays
I suspect there will be snowhaeds in that zone. I for one will be in France that week. Should we watch (say) the descent fron Vallon or just listen for the sonic boom?
ski holidays
Maximus, Well that's ok, We'll have just finished racing in the International Scara at Val and the Brits at Meribel, what a coincidence. There are of course regular ESF flèche GS time tests at Meribel. It's just down the road from us. So put your money where your mouth is. Enter the same flèche as my 11 year old, a girl as well, and give us all something to laugh about!!!
ski holidays
Chris Bish, well said. Now, where is that yawning emoticon?
latest report
Quote:
Yeah, in your dreams, PG

Hey we do live in Les Arcs, check with the Club des Sports, all times are confirmed, the Les Arcs club skis the FK regularly, for fun, and that speed was on GS skis too, virtually no wax left, after a morning's training.

As I say. I am in Meribel, just down the road, for that speed test, give us all a laugh, I shall be pleased to report back to the forum.
snow report
ssh, a wind-up merchant, you're right, high speed Flying K at 118 kph pffffff!!! Lives in London, yet can outski the pros? PFFFF Little Angel Smile Very Happy
snow conditions
PG I will see you there..and bye the bye..since I will be racing against an 11 year old, I will give her a handicap by racing on my blades, I don't want to make her too disappointed.. Cool
ski holidays
Time, dates, real name (by private mail if you prefer) so I can trace you at the said hotel, and shows how much you know - they won't let you do the time trial on blades. I'll bring my camera....
ski holidays
Hey, PG, you are into philosophy. Remember Aristotle's reductio ad absurdam.
latest report
And while I think of it, remember Iago, too.
latest report
Chris Bish, Indeed, but sometimes it just feels good to rub it in...... and that nose would be penetrating quite deeply into the snow....

Not entirely zen, I know. Must have had a bad day 'at the office'.
snow report
Quote:

And while I think of it, remember Iago, too

He's a troll, of course. But in this case he can be pinned down. If he provides his name and he is indeed at the hotel in question. We shall see!
snow report
I can see those flying pigs again, but this time they're wearing green polkadot dresses, a troll is an understatement, maybe a troll with a very big ego, but not just a troll Laughing

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 20-03-04 22:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Exactly. Iago put intolerable pressure on Othello because he cared. Just keep repeating the troll point. It's obviously true to someone not emotionally involved. Hell it's too late at night for this stuff!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG, his name is in his post in the LOST and FOUND. Hit his profile to find it. Or PM me.
snow conditions
Chris Bish wrote:
Just keep repeating the troll point. It's obviously true to someone not emotionally involved. Hell it's too late at night for this stuff!

Finally someone who has it right, well said Chris snowHead
ski holidays
Indeed, and it's an hour later here too..... A demain!
snow report
PG, good night !
snow conditions
Back in Maximus original posting he suggested 3 things:
1. Carving skis were different from the previous straight skis
2. Skiing had lost something: was no longer "exquisite, panache, inventive, poetic and elegant"
3. "Carving skiing is a copout"

But the new skis are not really radically different from the old skis. Skis in the 70s and 80s were not straight. They all had a curve. It was just a rather shallow curve. I remember Ali Ross teaching “just put the ski on its edge and press and you’ll turn”. Faced by competition from snowboarding, during the 1990s this shaping of the ski became significantly more pronounced to make it easier for skiers to carve turns, and such skis were termed carving skis. With a minor change in design skiing became a bit easier and we were all persuaded to buy the new carvers. (Manufacturers must have made a mint)

Skiing is still exquisite, full of panache, inventiveness, poetry and elegance. It is also exciting and fun. The new skis just make it all a bit easier so more people are able to enjoy the thrills of fast turns and off-piste and whatever else makes us do it.
snow report
Jonpim, right you are. A key component of this shift was the materials science that allowed for the tuning of ski characteristics such that longitudinal flex could be made significantly softer than tortional flex--and the two largely independent of each other. Further CAD design of skis evolved topsheet designs that provided structural characteristics (starting with Volant's stainless steel, Elan's MBX, and the early Salomons and then extending to today's Atomic Beta and all of the various approaches).

Back before the late 80s, there was very little modern material in skis. Rossi introduce kevlar into their slalom skis and added anti-vibration technology at about the same time.

Add to all of this the fatty revolution and the required ski characteristics to ski open variable snow well, and you can see how the evolution got us to where we are today. There's also much more openness now than there was, and you have unusual designs like the Volant Spatula.

Technology that helps us certainly is a wonderful thing! We need to be wary, though, of praising technology simply because it's new. In the case of the new skis, I can say that on them I can ski longer with less energy. As mid-40s ex-racer who can't ski nearly as well as Maximus' self-proclaimed super-expert ability, I am grateful for all the help I can get! Wink snowHead
snow report
ssh, I thought this article from planetsubzero quite interesting.
snow conditions
Jonpim, I don't know anything about great looking graphics. I ski on a Fischer. It's really, really boring! But, I think it's also completely unattractive to thieves, but really a great ski to ski!!!
latest report
I know what you mean ssh, that's my excuse for running a boring car (what I really want is the Batmobile). Salomon and Atomic certainly go in for striking graphics, but I note the Rossi B2 is very understated. Old fashioned even. Maybe for the same reason as your Fischers?
(I'm keeping my son company after he woke up from nightmares - what's your excuse for being up so late?)
snow report
Jonpim, I live in Boulder, CO. It's 18.25 here! Wink
snow conditions
Oh! Silly me: should have noticed. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Jonpim, well, I'm waiting for dinner and doing my taxes (on-line with TurboTax Web). Yuck! Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy