Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carving is Boring..

Poster: A snowHead
markP wrote:

The original post was the biggest troll yet seen on this site.
Sorry guys, but I'm a novice at this form/posting stuff. I feel I have missed something here. I have looked up "troll", but still don't quite understand. Please explain.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A "troll" is a post designed to wind people up and provoke a reply.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonpim wrote:
markP wrote:

The original post was the biggest troll yet seen on this site.
Sorry guys, but I'm a novice at this form/posting stuff.

223 posts and you still feel you're a novice? Get some lessons from BASI -Boardwriting Assistance from SnowHeads Inc.

Bloody Hell! I must get on and do some work..........
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like this definition: "Trolling aims to elicit an emotional reaction from those with a hair trigger on the reply key. A really subtle troll makes some people lose their minds.! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DavidS, in which case I really must try harder!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My thoughts on modern shaped skis are this - most people think that it is because of the shaped side cut that makes them easier to learn to turn on, but I don't think that this is necessarily true, as a lot of people, especially beginners tend to skid their turns rather than carve them, and so do not use the ski as they were designed. I think that beginners find them easier to turn on because, as they are wider, they can be shorter for the same surface area (compared to "old school" skis), and so have less momental inertia as well as less straight line tracking. (I think that this is the correct term, but I stand to be corrected by someone who remembers physics better than me.) It comes down to the fact that shorter skis are easier to turn. For those of you who are sceptical, try getting out skis 10cm longer than normal in the hire shope next time that you are skiing, and seeing if you can feel the difference, I'm willing to bet that you can.
As for carving being a waste of time, it feels great, and is the quickest, safest, and most efficient way to get down the hill in most conditions. It's just a shame that a lot of people don't seem to use the skis as they were intended.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gosh, don't you learn a lot here! I found Another Site with info about (internet) trolls, then a lesson in fishing (trolling), then moved onto Scandinavian Folklore, and finally finished with a dissertation on the Olog-hai in Lord of the Rings (don't remember the Olog-hai - will have to read the book again!)

Mark Hunter, I do still feel a novice: bit of a slow learner. I now want to learn how to put a quote within a quote like what you did.
And I'm still a bit mystified: what happened to Maximus? Did you bump him off?

Meantime, as skis get shorter (and boards get longer?) they'll soon be the same lengh. Then we can have the Detachable Board with Movable Bindings that can double as skis or a board depending on conditions (patents applied for).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Are you sure this isn't Kevin McClean?
It's got all the hallmarks, a quick few posts to get everyone biting then leave everyone to it as blood is spilled.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim, Go look at http://snowboarding.about.com/library/weekly/aapr_burton_split.htm It's already been done and there are more on the way
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Michael B, well unless kevin's using a pseudonym with a pseudonym, the guy who's owned up to the name over in Lost and Found could be the natural replacement for mr mcclean.

Jonpim, on the right hand side of the page is a bubble with " marks - click on that against whichever post you wish to quote from and it'll open a dialogue box for you. You can edit out anything you don't want in the normal way. A quote within a quote works in just the same way Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque, Shucks! so my great idea not worth a thing - someone got there first (again). I wonder what happened to my idea about a cyclonic vacuum cleaner....?
Mark Hunter, Thanks. I'll have to give it a try. (later)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A colonic vacuum cleaner? rather you than me but If it makes you happy and rich, go for it . . . Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Didn't Richard Gere invent one of those....alledgedly Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, from carving to...

oh, never mind! snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How on earth did this occur, talk about off topic Exclamation Shocked Confused
ski holidays
don't blame my dyslexia!!!! it's Jonpims fault . . . sort of. Twisted Evil
latest report
What were we talking about again?
snow conditions
Sorry D G Orf et al. The subject is "Carving is Boring"
I agree
I preferred modelling with clay. Confused
snow conditions
Oh dear, it only gets worse, there you go, you try to have a semi serious dicussion when along come the jokers ! Cool
ski holidays
I prefer watching models in clay.
latest report
See what I mean Skullie
latest report
The spirit of Bob Monkhouse is alive in as all. Laughing
snow report
I prefer... uh... Embarassed
ski holidays
ssh, Come on now, you're a moderator, you should be keeping everyone in line Smile
markP, Models in clay? Haven't seen that one. Lend it to me next time you're down this way?
snow report
PG wrote:
ssh, Come on now, you're a moderator, you should be keeping everyone in line Smile

You know, it's tough when you don't understand the language. Wink

'Course, with this crowd, it's even tougher when you do! Laughing snowHead
latest report
I'll find out when I can do it.
ski holidays
ssh is dreadful there I was just getting into the spirit of things snowHead when along come this bunch of coarse ruffians Toofy Grin , then to find out that you're no better than them, I'm shocked Shocked and saddend Sad by your desire to cause mirth Laughing and meriment Razz when others are trying to honestly answer the post Cool
snow report
D G Orf, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf, i understand we fought off a troll. Not surprising then we are indulging in a little silly banter as we wind down. I think a beer may be in order. Cheers!
snow report
What an extraordinary knee jerk reaction some of you guys had in response to this thread. Christ! Anyone would think I was attacking each one of you personally! I was simply airing my views about a particular ski sport subject in a frank manner as is surely my right on a site that prides itself on free speech, and if some of you found those views hard to digest, that's tough! Razz
There is much more to skiing than just carving. We are all aware that carving is but one of many ski disciplines that go to make up a complete skier. Carving is not the B all and end all.. In the manner in which some of you reacted to this thread, you feel it is.
During my las ski trip I was hailed by a certain ski club rep as being an expert blader. Blading, essentially, is carving. I also ski in equal proportion but I don't spend all my skiing time carving on them. My aim is always to enjoy the full potential of my ski's and the ski terrain both on & off piste. Carving is way down on my order of priorities..
snow report
Maximus, c'mon! You threw out a topic that you knew would cause a reaction from folks. That's why I responded right away; to help you expand the conversation. But, you continue to talk like carving is somehow inferior to hop turns, skidded turns, leapers, or javelins. Give me a break!

Skiing is skiing. On-piste, there's nothing quite as thrilling as carving. Given a choice between carving and off-piste with good snow, I'll take the latter any day. However, new carving skis certainly make the on-piste alternative much more palatable than the old days of straight skis.

Have fun on your blades. I'll enjoy my 170cm Fischer RX8s, thank you! snowHead
snow conditions
I'm at least partially with ssh on this, your original post implied that carving was in some way inferior or possibly not worthwhile, I would say that carving is just one of many techniques and is neither inferior or superior to others, a lot depends on the standard of skier that you are but a lot is also influenced by your instructors, modern instructors like carving skis because they make it easier to teach someone the basics of parallel skiing, given that todays skiers tend to want to ski lots and learn (and thus pay) little you can understand why carving skis are popular.
ski holidays
Quote:
complete skier

Maximus - there are many alleged 'amateur' experts that would be put to shame, whether on or off-piste, by some 10 year old local club kids that I regularly watch. Carving is an integral part of their training, and it's that natural, relaxed control that they have of all aspects of their skiing, but carving in particular, that makes them what they are - a helluva lot better than 99% of the self-proclaimed amateur experts that occasionally manifest themselves in an attempt to stir up controversy. All the hop turns etc that ssh mentions these kids can do in their sleep. I would love to see you race the said 10 year olds down a GS course though. I know where my money would be!
ski holidays
Maximus wrote:
During my las ski trip I was hailed by a certain ski club rep as being an expert blader.

Excellent, hysterically funny, nice one. Expert blader Very Happy

I'm hoping someone from a ski club hails me as an expert lift rider, I know it looks like any fool can do it and no one gives a !"£$ what a rep thinks but it's something to aim for.
latest report
PG wrote:
Quote:
complete skier

Maximus - there are many alleged 'amateur' experts that would be put to shame, whether on or off-piste, by some 10 year old local club kids that I regularly watch. Carving is an integral part of their training, and it's that natural, relaxed control that they have of all aspects of their skiing, but carving in particular, that makes them what they are - a helluva lot better than 99% of the self-proclaimed amateur experts that occasionally manifest themselves in an attempt to stir up controversy. All the hop turns etc that ssh mentions these kids can do in their sleep. I would love to see you race the said 10 year olds down a GS course though. I know where my money would be!

Then you'll lose your bet, pal.. I eat 10 year old brat skiers for breakfast..
snow report
ise, I'm a certified instructor (aren't you just so impressed??!! rolling eyes ) and I have every confidence in hailing you as an expert lift rider! Tell your friends! Laughing
snow report
Maximus, all hail the ultra-fast skidding racer?!?! C'mon! rolling eyes
ski holidays
Maximus beware of putting your money where your mouth is, some youn skiers go phenomenenly fast, I watched the Wengen ski club go down a slope with a speed gun on it this year, not one was less than 65 kph and one was well over 90 kph faster than I'd be willing to do that slope, and they were not even racing, if the kids PG has in mind are anything like that most people would be hard pressed to beat them, especially if they think you'll eat them for breakfast, if you catch them Laughing
latest report
Maximus
Quote:
Then you'll lose your bet, pal.. I eat 10 year old brat skiers for breakfast..

That so? C'mon, then show me how clever you are. Carole Montillet was forerunner for the French Championships GS Coq d'Or 9/10 year old category in Megève a couple of years ago, a couple of months after winning gold at Salt Lake. She came down in just over 50 seconds. What do you reckon the best 10 year old's time was?
snow report
ssh wrote:
ise, I'm a certified instructor (aren't you just so impressed??!! rolling eyes ) and I have every confidence in hailing you as an expert lift rider! Tell your friends! Laughing

ah, it's the internet, we're all expert something, my expertise. In fact I'm not an expert lift rider at all if I'm honest, at least according to Mrs Ise I'm not, the chair lists to one side apparently.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy