Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone know when the skiing areas near Madrid tend to have snow?

Poster: A snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In the wintertime.....? Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TwistBarbie, Allegedly Valdesqui ( if that is where you mean) had snow in the beginning of December and unlike other resorts it opens as soon as it can.

The french folks I know in the South seem to expect to ski before Xmas in The Pyrennees or the Southern Alps as that is where they expect it snow first .... hearsay accurately reported Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've tried to board near Madrid but it's been a dead loss when I've been there. They certainly get snow but on the times I've been there it was a non-starter. People living there tell me it can be OK but at weekends it's very, very busy. Having hiked round a couple of the stations in winter I can see it would be busy, there's not many lifts and it's a very small area. It's a nice area though, nice scenery etc.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was expecting the opening to be quite late. I'm asking because I'll be visiting my brother in Madrid sometime in Jan/Feb and we thought we might like to try a day at one of the local ski areas (Navacerrada or Valdesqui). He thought that last year the runs weren't really open until mid-Feb (leaving us plenty of time for a short trip in Sierra Nevada via Granada in Jan).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't forget La Pinilla, less crowded and better slopes, but in the left hand usually has less snow than Valdesquí.

Salu2
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's always Xanadu - in which case the answer is all year round!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Okanagan wrote:
There's always Xanadu - in which case the answer is all year round!

We call it here "La nevera" (The fridge) NehNeh . Great traffic jams every weekend.

Salu2
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

leaving us plenty of time for a short trip in Sierra Nevada via Granada in Jan).

Spaniard:Which are closer, the Pyreneean resorts or SN? I remember overnight buses from Madrid to the P. areas. Of course visiting Granada can often eclipse the joys of skiing. snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I favour valdesqui as it's higher. Navacerrada always appears rockier, valcotos has closed and I've never been to pinilla - its a little further and slightly lower. When the snow appears seems variable. Sometimes early Dec, sometimes no decent snow till Jan. At some point in the season, it's always been decent and by that I mean sufficient and dry fluffy stuff. I've been 3 weekends over the season in a couple of previous years and had good snow, so it's definitely worth a go though like any ski station there'll be an element of luck. In season, check out
http://www.buscanieve.com/Estaciones/Estaciones-pistas-esqui.asp
http://www.grupojoven.com/Principal/parte_nieve.htm

Leave madrid 0715. You'll be in Valdesqui about 0820. You'll be able to park pretty near the lift ticket office and the queue even on a weekend won't be too bad. The ticket office is right at the bottom of the lifts. I've never had a long wait for the lifts unless going back down to the very bottom just after lunch when the half-day skiers come in. Another tip - leave earlyish say 1530 unless you want a 2.5 hour drive back to Madrid.

Didn't like Xanadu. Too flat by half. Completely empty when I went though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can't even recall the names I have to say. My memory is that there's two or three close together, if I had to guess I reckon I went up to the Valdesqui which sounds familar. However, all this reminds me I took some photo's although, like I said, there's not a lot of snow Very Happy

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 19-09-12 7:41; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ise, I really hope that the slopes were'nt open for skiing in your pics Shocked Those folks in your shots look like ramblers. I saw far more snow in Andorra last May, the slopes were closed for the season, but the snow was deep, and it snowed all the time I was there Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I first went over 10 years ago and last went this year. I've had snow there as good as anywhere in Europe (though not as good as the US), but wouldn't pretend to be able to give statistically representative information about conditions. However, if ise feels it's a waste of time... wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sorry to spoil your fun but I said nothing of the sort.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slikedges, Any pics pl?. The only ones we have to go on, are ise, 's and it looks pants wink
ski holidays
ise, chill, i know you didn't Little Angel

snowbunny, yes, but pre-digital. I'd have to pull them out of an album or three, scan them, net-prepare them etc. Lo siento, no puedo.
latest report
slikedges, Bale, lo siento, es el opportunidad para corregir el gillipolas Laughing Laughing wink
snow conditions
Comprendo, pero es una opportunidad que no quiero tomar. Little Angel
ski holidays
Mac46 wrote:
Quote:

leaving us plenty of time for a short trip in Sierra Nevada via Granada in Jan).

Spaniard:Which are closer, the Pyreneean resorts or SN? I remember overnight buses from Madrid to the P. areas. Of course visiting Granada can often eclipse the joys of skiing. snowHead

Hello,

Sierra Nevada is a little bit closer to Madrid than the Pirinees, except may be Astun or Candanchú, four hours drive, Andorra or Baqueira may take 6 hours. f you are planning to go to Sierra Nevada avoid holidays, weekends and the mid winter season, is the most crowded resort I've ever seen, nevertheless if you go in spring you could enjoy one the best spring skiing available in Europe, is the Sierra Nevada paradox.

Salu2
snow conditions
Was in Sierra Navada on Thursday.
At 2100m it was 10 degrees, fully 18 degrees cooler than on the Costa del Sol, end of September.
Ugly old place, town very haphazzard (and seemingly built on a near vertical incline!) and slopes like a moonscape, bare, arid and rocky as are all the local mountains.
Some sort of radar station opposite the town.
Good road up to it from Granada, just over half an hour from outskirts. Granada is now motorway all the way from Malaga airport.
Nevertheless, Im curious and intend going when possible.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy