Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Potential new snowhead make or break trip

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

Been lurking for a long while now (all last season) excellent site! and I am hoping for
some wise input into the following challenge...

My best mates girlfriend having never been on skis or snowboard is getting a bit miffed at all the lads going on long weekends snowboarding and wants to go on a winter trip.
It is imperative that we get her hooked on it

As she is a teacher with restricted dates and by way of a ‘taster’ weekend we have booked Geneva flights on the 16th-18th December if we convert her hopefully she will be up for another trip next Easter

As a complete novice (and we don’t mind pottering about on tiniest of areas for the weekend) what would be the best area that is likely to offer the following (It needs to tick all the rightboxes to get her wanting more of the same)

1. Alpine feel (i.e not our usual 4 lads in a rabbit hutch apartment in Flaine)
2. Patient, ski school instructors (pref handsome bloke wink ) to leave her with
for part of the day (any recommendations)
3. Some sheltered slopes in case the weather is bad
4. Fighting chance of some snow
5. Near to GVA
6. Nice hotel

I was thinking Chamonix for the whole alpine/nightlife experience but is there an area likely to be open that weekend that would suit (le tour? Les hoches? perhaps) are they open that early as a rule?

We are thinking she should go for Skiing rather than boarding as on a 2 day trip you are likely to start having fun by the end of the weekend, whereas after 2 days leaning to board I was not having a fun time

Is this all doable??? Any advice appreciated
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wrongsideof30, Before you go get her some lessons at escape at Castleford they do a 4 hour crash course or 4 1 hour sessions. She would enjoy a weekend more if she skis and boards with friends rather than separated off to beginners lessons.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wrongsideof30, Welcome to snowheads (should have said it first)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Exsape Castleford do a 3 hour fast track lesson£72 and a ski or board in a day lesson (10am - 6pm) for £150.

I recently (as a beginer myself) took up the ski in a day option and to my suprise I was the only one on the course that day.
That meant 1 on 1 tuition for a whole day and I must say I recomend it.

I loved it, cant wait to go there again, never mind my ski holiday to Austria this winter Cool
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
welcome,Not sure about Chamonix for a total beginner . Keep in mind that nursery slopes at Le Savoy and Les Planards can suffer from poor snow and after you mastered the nursery slopes where do you go then— a few years since I have been but I can not recall any easy slopes to progress to, maybe the Col de Balme area? i'm sure the other snowheads will give you much better advice. Goodluck!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have booked level 5 skiing lessons at Castleford and been the only one on the lesson twice go for the lessons late on Sunday night it seems that most people don't like this time.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wrongsideof30, of those resorts quickly accessible from Geneva with an Alpine feel, I could recommend Les Gets in France (Portes du Soleil). Friendly resort, with possibilities of British instructors if they're in action that early in December.

If you want an even nicer experience, get on a train at Geneva Airport and zip around the Lake of Geneva (beautiful, if you catch it in daylight - what time is your flight on the Friday?) and nip up to somewhere like Villars. Get some advice from the Swiss Tourist Office as to which resorts will be open that weekend (as advised above, it's slightly early). The beauty of getting to these Swiss places is (a) that they are generally gorgeous (b) they have good public transport connections.

Don't worry too much about committing yourself to accommodation. Any hotel will be pleased of a booking now, but just ensure it's cancellable if you have to switch to somewhere that could be more snowsure (but less chocolatey boxy) like Flaine or Avoriaz - also easy from Geneva. If lots of snow falls in early December, you obviously have loads of options, and the best thing is to be able to keep those options open. There is little business for resorts before the Christmas week so it's a buyer's market, with lots of empty beds.

As Renry advises, a beginners' session in a snowdome or on a good plastic slope would be handy.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wrongsideof30, Welcome to snowHeads. My wife did a "learn to ski in a day" at Milton Keynes. By the end of the day, she was coming down the slope in a controlled fashion and enjoyed our next ski trip alot more.

There were only 3 on her course that day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wrongsideof30, a good question. I would think that it would be good to have the nursery slopes up on the mountain rather than on the edge of the town, that way they would be both more snowsure and give more of a feeling of actually being there. I have a feeling that the nursery slopes at Chamonix/Argentiere etc are at low level and am wondering if there is anything really easy up on the slopes - I can't picture anything. Le Tour and Les Houches would be good once she had got started but possibly not for day one. The town would be good though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
wrongsideof30, Wouldn't do Cham - big busy town, not really freindly nursery slopes. Definitely get lessons in UK first - don't jump down the 'crash course' route unless you really have too - it can be really tiring !

The Portes de Soleil resorts are worth a look - and Avoriaz is high enough to be snow sure. Look for a good (British) ski school too.

Hope that helps ...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not used them personally, but following on from ski's comments, these are British and based in Portes De Soleil

http://www.britishskischool.com/lesgets.htm
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wrongsideof30, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I'd echo the earlier comments regarding getting lessons before you go. For a cheaper alternative to Xscape, Sheffield Ski Village do a "Learn to ski" package that is very good and is about half the price of the snowdome. Several of my friends have learned there, and all of them rated it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've just noted the date of your trip, the 16th to 18th of December. You need to find a resort that is actually open! Also with only three days you need somewhere near to Geneva. This might make it a bit hard, but not impossible. It might be better to go for function (e.g. rabbit hutch apartment in Flaine) to get some snow/skiing. Other people might be better placed to suggest a suitable resort given the dates.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Id leave her at home, she'll just whinge and ruin it for everyone else.

Well someone had to suggest it
Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wrongsideof30, why not have a look at our ad in snowShops or visit our website www.tracksvacations.com La Rosiere has a good snow record and we usually have more enough snow to open on the due date, which this season is 10th Dec. La Rosiere is super resort for learning and it's south facing slopes give sunny days. The transfer from Geneva, in our own minibus, can be under 2 1/2 hrs. We'd be happy to sort out a weekend deal for you.
snow conditions
Nade And they call me insensitive rolling eyes

So when you grow up you want to be fat, slow, bad at sex, on the most boring diet imaginable and nearly extinct . . . . sounds good to me Cool

wrongsideof30, if the snow's good, La Ros might be a good choice. But that's the rub, if the snow's not great David will need to take you to Tignes for the glacier and that might not suit a raw beginner . . . but if she's had some time at Xcape, well you never know.
Small word of warning, high glaciers can be very inhospitable places in early season.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 23-08-05 15:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
David@traxvax, Is right, La Rosiere would be ideal for an early season weekend. You had better hope that the snow conditions are better than last year around 17th December. IIRC it was the weekend of the first real snow of the season and not a lot opened ( in Les Arcs anyway ) until the following Monday.

CP
ski holidays
wrongsideof30, Geneva - Alpine feel - Beginner - Only 3 days. I would suggest Les Gets, Morzine, Champery or Megeve- the only potential problem of course being whether there is any snow then ( there was JUST last year- 18th / 19th??) ! However Avoriaz is close to Les Gets /Morzine.
I personally would touch the 'British' ski school mentioned here with a bargepole . 3 -times the price of good English-speaking independents. and in my experience a lot worse at their job ( teaching people how to ski).

If you do chose Les Gets , ask and I can recommend hotels and specific instructors.
snow report
wrongsideof30, If you would like to be closer to GVA then it may be worth looking at Les Contamines. When we lived near Geneva it was one ski area you could pretty much rely on for reasonable snow quite early in the season.

It is a traditional Savoyade village/town which should suit one of your key requirements. Can't help with Ski School or Hotels I am afraid.

Another option could be to base yourselves in Les Carroz - on the route up to Flaine.

CP
ski holidays
 brian
brian
eEvans, I'm going to Gets in Feb and have noticed the BASS rip off prices you refer to Shocked I think I saw a recommendation from you for skisurf360. Have you tried any other ski schools over there ?

We'll be looking for private lessons for my son, Euan (he's on the autistic spectrum), plus group lessons for a couple of 5 year old beginners and a 7 year old and some privates for the adults.
ski holidays
brian, I could actually give some other reasons for not using BASS but the potential of this site to libel claims prevents me but do pm if you want to know more.

I confess to a bias to 360International ( based upon my excellent experiences with them) and had a few drinks with 2 of the owners weekend before last - and they all speak good English (one of them is married to an English lady btw) . They have some excellent instructors, - if you do chose them - drop me a pm and I'll see what they suggest for your son in particular - I speak regularly. One of their instructors is brilliant with the youngest kids ( but his English is not the best) so understanding how you saw the needs would be important - I had also had lessons with BASS.

I know other English instructors there ( well 2 actually) but they are also pricey being webbed-up (intimately) with certain TOs - but have no idea about their instruction.

Whatever you do I would consider committing soon - 360 are amazed at the number of bookings they have already had for next season and I would suspect with BASS that is even more prevalent given that most bookings originate- to date- from the UK.
snow conditions
As it's such a critical mission, I don't think I'd risk starting her off on a dry slope: they're never as nice as snow.
Castleford should do the trick though.
snow report
Now then Board scum, La Rosiere is not renowned as board central, but it is a wonderful place for learners. Ski schools are all highly reommended. Fortunatley it has a stinkingly long drag into my favourite bit (italy link area) which helps keep your kind away from me and the kids. wink . Not really a "boys night out" town.

Congrats on the de-lurkation. Very Happy snowHead
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, What a waste of nr 2000 - not even as insulting as your norm Laughing

Read again - 3 days - Close to GVA --- what do you want the poor guy to do -- drive there and straight back? ( and I hope we don't get everyone suggesting it's only down the road etc.. ! wink wink )
ski holidays
eEvans, Didnt realise till it was done and wasted Embarassed . It depends what flight they have booked as to where is viable. Near to GVA mid December, snowsure and a learner in tow is not an easy request. Reading again I would suggest nice hotel in Courchevel, and lessons with Ski Academy. However not a cheapshort break . La Clusaz would have suited but will it have snow?.
snow conditions
eEvans, it's not far, only 180 kms and in time there's not a lot of difference between the 3 Valleys and the Haute Tarentaise, I've frequently done the journey in less than 2 1/2 hrs. If you can organise a night flight for Thurs and a late flight home on Sunday you've got 3 full days skiing.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, "Board scum"! Careful lad, I might have a few new words saved for a special occasion Cool !
Yes La Ros has few real flats for boarders, but it does need to service its Pomas to make the tension take-up suitable for newbies (both ski and board). It might be (even with David's support) a bit too inconvenient for wrongsideof30 and his party. But I'm looking forward to a visit this year.
ski holidays
David@traxvax, Frosty the Snowman, Yes , I accept it is very viable IF flights are right and IF there is no snow around ( I assume no problem with traffic that weekend) but if it were me ( and I know all the areas if not the skiing) I would still chose Les Gets against those criteria nd take my prebooked instructor in his car(s) to Avoriaz if snow was scarce - I seem to recall that the resort opened on the 10th or 17th .. and that would have to be checked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, Well the only way is up I guess NehNeh Nice try at rattling though
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, Eh? Sorry sugarbuns, I'm having a hard tine hearing you above the sound of chewing bamboo. You need to lighten up on the mascara too.
snow conditions
Masque, First time I've heard you panda to anyone
snow conditions
wrongsideof30, Not sure how far it is to Courcheval from GVA, but the New Generation ski school there will def win her over.English speaking, good looking lads (I didn't jump the fence though!) and made life as a beginner for my wife a treat. She was so taken by the school and has now caught the ski bug.
latest report
Hello Everyone...and thanks to everyone for the welcome (Frosty the Snowman sorry for being 'Boarder Scum' but it is easier on my knees than skiing and you can't scare me off with your drag lifts, I have boarded in Scotland wink )

Thanks also for all the advice up to press, I agree that if the snow doesn't play ball all bets are off, but having looked at Les Gets it looks like a good option. We are flying in late friday night and driving or taxi,
how long would it take to get to Les gets compared to Flaine for example? (assuming clear roads)

Was last December particularly bad? We had to Drive to Cervinia (which had plenty of snow) on the 17th Dec which I don't fancy doing on a 2 day trip....

David@traxvax.... I think your neck of the woods is a bit too far for a 2 dayer. I have slated La Ros for when we have our first family trip (number 1 only 6 months old at the moment)

Will definitely look at Castleford for lessons also

Thanks again....
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, I dont know how you do it! wink
snow report
wrongsideof30, Les Gets a little easier/quicker than Flaine IMO but nothing in it ( haven't done Samoens/Flaine in the snow) . Fastest way is to leave motorway earlier ( Vallee Blanche to Taninges- can't remember signposts ?) though and avoid Cluses (traffic). I was in Les Gets last year (18/12) and there was lots of fresh snow and a good base but it had only arrived during that week. Do check when the resort opens though - I had it somewhere but it's lost for the moment.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy