Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

£70 S&R voucher - what should I buy?

Poster: A snowHead
A few months ago when I left my former job, my colleagues (after some heavy hinting) got me some S&R vouchers as a gift. Haven't used them yet. What should I buy:
- helmet
- proper underclothing that wicks (I use mostly cotton T-shirts...)
- something else?

I've got a pair of skis, goggles, boots, good jacket, ok pants...a pair of old poles...

(don't anyone say anything about pairs of young Poles, ok?)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shovel? Probe? Ruksack?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
you really won't regret getting underwear that wicks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helmet with built in MP3 player, Might have to add some cash!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cedric, I agree with boredsurfin, I got headphones last year for my helmet and is great on long lifts.
Rucksack perhaps?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would go for a helmet if I were you.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Decent baselayers, best thing I did for myself last year.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helmet gets my vote too! Nothing will put a long term end to your purchasing than a collision without one!

Adam
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice pair of Carbon Poles, Base layers, Helmet
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
helmet - if you're going to use it.

If not, decent base layers.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
got the shovel, got the probe, got the rucksack (should've said from the beginning, sorry). Don't have a transceiver yet, might have to consider that, too.

thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming...of course I may end up topping up the amount liberally and buying more things but hey, that's what I need suggestions for!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
having skied with a helmet last year for the first time I would say go for the helmet. certainly more comfortable than I thought but get one with lots of vents for hot days. My head has never been warmer in a blizzard. I'd definitely go for a helmet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cedric, why do you have probe and shovel but no transceiver? No-one will find you and you won't find anyone else. Wouldn't it be better to ditch the shovel and probe as currently they're just deadweight? wink

Proper baselayers. A huge improvement. As said before, "cotton'll kill ya". Excuse american accent...

I like Peak Performance baselayers. Although S&R in King's road sporting club have some interesting looking stuff by Armourwear and Canterbury (the ?cricket? people)? which looks similar and cheaper.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, I have shovel and probe but no transceiver - as up till now I've mostly gone off piste with a guide or SCGB group who provide one as part of the deal. The SCGB hire scheme also looks pretty good - if you're not out every weekend.

Depending on the style of helmet you could do much chaper than S&R - at our race club we're getting some that come out about £20 each. They don't do the fancy MP3 ones though (but I personally think they're a complete travesty - but we did that in a thread some time back).

I'd certainly go for decent base layer stuff, or put it towards a transceiver if you're doing a lot of branching out under your own steam.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Murdoch wrote:

Proper baselayers. A huge improvement. As said before, "cotton'll kill ya". Excuse american accent...

Adding to this, cotton actually stops all your expensive goretex from doing its job properly, so not only would decent baselayers be good in themselves, they'll allow you to get better use out of what you currently have.

Getting your own transceiver is a v good idea. Although you can borrow them, each works slightly differently so it's best to get your own and learn how to use it so you're totally familiar with it if the worst happens.
ski holidays
Wicking base layers & boot dryers
snow report
Cedric wrote:
thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming...of course I may end up topping up the amount liberally and buying more things but hey, that's what I need suggestions for!

How about putting it towards one of these? Very Happy
snow conditions
GrahamN, a fair point and they're not cheap to buy!

Kramer, WHat an excellent idea! Why don't we all club together and buy a snowheads one?
ski holidays
It's not the purchase cost you need to worry about it's the running costs, especially the maintenance Sad
snow conditions
boredsurfin, I'm fairly sure that he purchase cost is pretty stratospheric as well. Both well out of my league, I'm afraid.
snow report
i was going to say that proper base layers will be a bigger benefit than a helmet (for all the reasons stated above), but if you have shovel & probe and use them with a guide off-piste, maybe you should supplement the voucher and get both?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy