Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Coches - La Plagne

brian
brian
Any thoughts on this place ?

What's it like architecturally ? Any good restaurants, bars, etc. ?

Easy to get into the main La Plagne skiing ? What about Les Arcs via the cable car ?

Particulary keen to hear from Savoyard experts (any PGs out there for instance ? wink ).

Bonus questions for them:

Why didn't the Chiaupe glacier open this summer ?
Has it had its frites for good ?
How long would Les Coches to Tignes take on a summer morning ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brian, as a post pubecent zit squeezer (v'early 70's) I was on a treck that took us from Tignes Le Lac, behind Mt Pourri and down to Landry (other side of the Valley). It was well marked and took us about 10 hours. We were dawdling and piddling around but pretty fit so you can probably chop a big chunk of time from that. These days it's probably even better signed and you can either climb up to the Bellecote or take any of the half dozen of so side paths across the valley to La Plagne. I suppose at a hard pace you might do it in 4-5 hours? Dunno, it's been a lot of years and I've no idea of the changes to the paths network. Tis a nice walk though.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Masque, I was kind of thinking in a car there, to go skiing, but I s'pose if I set off the night before and didn't stop to squeeze anything it might be doable á pied Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
brian, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy idle booger! It's a 25-35 minute drive rolling eyes But for a Summer's day, the walk would be nicer Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian, Well I can't call myslef a "PG" type expert yet but this time next year I aim to be. Anyway looking at the map and from my little knowledge gained to date Les Coches is a a great position for both La Plagne and Les Arcs and is ideally suited for a Paradiski pass as you have close proximity to both. Good access to Vanoise Express. In fact probably the best position if you want to ski both?

I was out for a weekend and looked towards the glacier and could it be lack of snow? It looked pretty bare but am no summer glacier expert. As for having its frites for good well we need to do the research on this one. Perhaps when PG gets back from his Deuz Alpes jaunt he can update us with the latest news?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, I would put Les Coches to Tignes on a good day to be at least 45 mins, perhaps even 46.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, yeah, but that's uphill on your bicycle. wink You may well be right, I'm not adding the time from Landry up the hill to Les Coches . . since I've never driven it.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Mouth, thanks. Position does look good for both. I'm at the early stages of apartment hunting, summer skiing would be a nice bonus.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian, Apartment hunting to buy? If so are you looking at a particular development in Les Coches?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Mouth, yep, the Chalets de Wengen (maybe DG Orf could rent it Laughing ).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wrote to the La Plagne tourist office a fortnight back about the Chiaupe glacier, no comment as yet. I'm not surprised as it was a bit of a "political" question (conflicting views between the local authority and the lift operator). The commune reckoned that operation of the glacier for summer skiing was part of the original lease agreement with the SMA. The SMA's main duty is to its shareholders and it allegedly sees no future for the little Bellecôte glacier in this respect, longer term. The writing was on the wall in its last season of operation when the drag was replaced by a new chair. For the tiny number of skiers to be found up there in July (never did open in August), mainly local race clubs, it was running at even more of a loss as a result.

The tourist office still talks of summer skiing on its website, mentioning its "temporary" closure this year, something I queried in my letter.

Anyway, given size/altitude, it won't be around that much longer anyway. It must have taken a beating this year, given the lack of snow high up last season and the high temperatures again this summer.

(PS maybe Masque's supercharged camper van can do it in less, but for me it's 30 mins to Val Claret from BSM on a good day, so I reckon you can add 20 mins on top of that from Les Coches!)
snow report
 brian
brian
PG, thanks, not sounding good for the little glacier.

Any thoughts on Les Coches as a village ? Aesthetics, services, etc. ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian, afraid I know next to nothing about Montchavin/Les Coches, have only been there a couple of times and don't remember much about it... I do remember latish in the season in 2004 going down to Montchavin at 1250m and it was barely skiable. Obviously very handy for the Vanoise Express, just one lift from Les Coches and you're there in five mins...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well done mods! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, thank you Blush
John.
latest report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Well done mods!
Puzzled
Dammit Evil or Very Mad . Obviously missed another fight here.
ski holidays
maggi, "The Usual Suspects"
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, thanks a lot wink I got a bit grumpy after turning the other cheek it got slapped twice rolling eyes
snow conditions
Masque, not surprising, if you believe I'll accept your nonsense in any form, you're very much mistaken.
snow conditions
Peace and love David, that's all I wish for you. Chill Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy