Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Technique improvement - is rubbish equipment a help or hindrance?

Poster: A snowHead
What it says on the tin Very Happy .

OK - a bit more background probably required. This summer I've been slalom training at the local dryslope to try and improve my general skiing ability and on-piste technique. I've just been using the club skis though (my all-mountain skis being a) not at all appropriate and b) far too new to subject to Dendix) - the club skis are Salomon Ve with edges that would have trouble cutting butter Sad .

My rationale here is that since the skis are doing nothing to help me I have to work much harder to get the turns in, get the edges to hold etc., and mistakes are punished much more obviously. Hence it should be forcing me to get the technique right to get anywhere at all, rather than letting good gear cover over my mistakes. Anyone agree that this is a good idea? Obviously I could go faster on decent skis - no argument there - but that's not my prime objective at the moment.

However, while I think I make a fair fist of smooth flowing courses, where it's more a matter of timing, I really do suffer on courses with more tight turns, when I'm really having troubles either making the turn and either skid too low and finish the course mostly in defensive recovery mode or ski out altogether.

So, there's quite obviously a point at which you can't push rubbish skis any harder. It would seem sensible that this also stops you moving onto the next technical level....or not? And most importantly... how can you tell when you've got to that point?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GrahamN,

IMO Dendix is just better than doing nothing and I don't think any improvement will be too apparent until you get onto real snow.
So I wouldn't beat myself up for two reasons, a, the surface isn't very grippy reagarding edges, and b, Unless you use very good skis which will shave the mat - good for the skier, bad for the Ski complex - you have another compromise here as well, ie blunt edges
Those issues and the boredom factor of skiing on plastic make dry slopes just better than no practice at all for me.

That said, if I am going to try and get the PSB in LDA then I will probably have a few hours on my local slope...!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GrahamN, I think it does help in the long run to ski on rubbish skis with no edges. In order to get any edge hold at all you do have to be much more correct, therefore your technique will improve. As JT, says, you may not notice the technical improvement until you get back on the snow (PSB), but you'll REALLY appreciate your good skis then.

I've just about got the hang of my old P50s again now - but I can't wait to get back on my Fischers!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski, thanks for the confirmation, but I suspected you'd say that from preveious posts on related subjects Wink .

JT, I think you a) slightly misunderstand me and b) are wrong Very Happy . The point of the exercise isn't to try and get orgasmic skiing on Dendix (we both know that only comes from the great off-piste Wink ), but technique improvement/refinement - so I'm not beating myself up, but engaging in "constructive self-criticism".

While I agree with you that Dendix is not a patch on real snow for enjoyment, and that just cruising down a dry slope is marginally less interesting than examining your belly-button fluff, putting gates on there completely transforms the exercise - my first run down was a complete disaster and major eye-opener. I can already see a major improvement in my skiing, although that may not have been too difficult as I'd not really tried too hard on-piste for the last few years, concentrating on getting to grips with the heaven that is off-piste. If nothing else the decreasing frequency of falls is evidence of major improvements! I just hope it's not instilling any habits that will screw up my (albeit still pretty variable) off-piste technique.

As for the "how can you tell when you've gone as far as you can with rubbish skis?" question, I'll try answering it myself. The trite answer is "almost certainly quite a way beyond where YOU think it is". Maybe the more helpful one, in a gates context, is "when you ski any course reliably, and don't get any faster however hard you push yourself".

Clearly I still have a way to go before I exhaust what the club skis can do, as even with a fairly tight bendy course I can normally manage just one run when everything clicks and I make it down. It will also force me to start assessing when I need to make a step turn or something similar to get around a sharp bend (one that those with excellent technique and skis, e.g. easiski, like Tom or that young lad I mentioned, carve with no apparent effort), as at the moment I haven't the presence of mind to try something different when a carved turn isn't going to work. What was that Klammer quote "Aim for the skier to ski as slowly as possible consistent with the skis going as fast as possible" - or something like it? The possible danger is that you get used to taking a line that would be far too conservative if you had decent skis. In my case that's probably still a good thing, though, as I still end up heading too straight at the gates after I get past the first couple and my good intentions head out the window.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN, Sharp skis will help - developing the correct angles and sensations with blunt ones will be harder. See if you can find a s/h pair ....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
GrahamN,
Quote:

I still end up heading too straight at the gates after I get past the first couple

Whilst wearing a Helmet+Chinguard, I hope wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GrahamN, You are quite right in your assumptions, but I don't think you should worry about a conservative line at the moment. This is all quite new to you as I understand it, and you cannot go fast in a race until your technique is good, after that you concentrate on line. If you can ski a good line smootly you will be fairly quick anyway. After that you can think about TRYING to go fast. Trying before you're ready will just make you slower (due to mistakes or loss of line). Very Happy

ski, "developing the correct angles and sensations with blunt ones will be harder." I thought that was the point! I don't suppose you're going to be able to join us in October?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, Working on October.

What I was trying to get to is that you can carve, to a limited extent, with blunt skis on plastic, but you can't develop the same edge angles or pressure on the skis, compared to sharp ones - meaning that IMHO you won't get the same feelings through you feet.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ski, No, but you learn to be more delicate and responsive to the skis - I think it helps awareness. After all, if you can carve on crap skis on Dendix then you're not going to any probs on good skis and good snow! Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, Have to be pretty sensitive to carve sharp ones... Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski, What do you mean by sharp? Can't be that sharp or it wouldn't be an arc. wink wink Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, Sharp skis ! arrrrrrrrrrrrgh Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowbunny, I actually wear a facemask (a bit like a welders mask without any glass in it) but have a helmet on order. I've never had a pole hit me in the face, although the psychological effect of the guard (stopping you shying away from the pole) is quite noticeable.

easiski, ski - sort of agree with you both, but wont be rushing out to get new skis just yet - or at least until after the Mondiale. I did see the guy who I got my Legends from is selling off some new Omecarve 63s though......must resist (anyway brand new skis on Dendix would be a waste). I expect there will be a crop of 2nd hands showing up when people have to indulge themselves with the new season's gear and start selling off their old ones.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN, Does your slope have misting ? If so, new skis are not a waste. I know I've said this before (lots of times), but a combination of misting and hard wax will prevent damage to your skis. Omecarve 63s would be fun ! wink snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ski, Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
easiski, ski, is it my turn with the thicky baton here, or is this a private joke? That's fine if it is...just as long as I know Very Happy

Naughty, naughty ski - I'm trying so hard to be good, stop tempting me. BTW - it does normally have misting, but this summer they've kept it off while they've been replacing matting and in an attempt to let the greenery die off - fat chance in a British summer rolling eyes .
ski holidays
GrahamN, er - I think easiski, thought I meant sharp turns...... Puzzled

and - go on - you know it makes sense ! If it helps (on our little slope) sharp skis are worth about a second - on a 8 second course......
snow report
GrahamN, Surrey - Sandown ?
snow conditions
ski, Hampshire - Aldershot I think. Sandown's too tiddly for words! I know I worked there!!! Laughing
snow report
GrahamN
Quote:

snowbunny, I actually wear a facemask (a bit like a welders mask without any glass in it) but have a helmet on order.

Sounds awful, bet you can't wait to get the helmet delivered wink
snow report
ski, thanks for the explanation...so it is my turn with the thicky baton for a while. And yes, it's Aldershot, which is only 10 mins down the road from this bit of Surrey. Didn't even know they had a slope at Sandown. The other close one is Bracknell, but they've gone Permaslush - and I believe their bunch have actually come over to us for a session or so.

snowbunny possibly my description doesn't do it any favours, but it's not too bad and is actually nice and cool - not looking forward to the helmet actually on that count!
snow report
GrahamN, I really hope that you will be pleasantly surprised on the cooling capabilities of modern helmets. I skied in a helmet 1st time last winter, no overheating at all- and most importantly it did'nt mess up my hair wink
ski holidays
snowbunny wrote:
...and most importantly it did'nt mess up my hair wink
Not a major problem in my case Sad .
ski holidays
GrahamN, See you at the last regional then ? High Wycombe - October ? snowHead
snow report
ski, highly unlikely Shocked ...you missed the word "training" (as opposed to "racing") in my introductory ramble Wink . That actually goes for most of our lot too - most of us are middle-aged/oldies and a bit too laid back for anything too competitive Very Happy . Maybe next year?
latest report
GrahamN, after you've got a taste for it at the PSB? Little Angel
snow report
easiski, there are two things you need to know about my cunning plan. First, it is cunning Wink - and second, that it is a Puzzled ...........well actually it doesn't really hack it on either count Very Happy !
ski holidays
GrahamN, See you next year then... Laughing

BTW there are quite few
Quote:

middle-aged/oldies
already competing - not least me ! (Well - turning up anyway wink )
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In the depths of the snow-free period of winter 1988-89 in the PDS I spent a couple of weeks repping on my boss's old Atomic ARC Bionic GS red sleds. Obviously had been a totally fantastic ski as they were still occasionally a delight to ski on in the right conditions. Had to be exactly the right conditions, edge angle, etc. as both skis were missing 60 cm long and 1.5 cm wide strips of PTex underfoot and had rivets protruding to edge height where the edges had been rivetted back in.

They certainly taught me sensitivity and the need to get edgeing "just right"!

No-one else could believe I was using them...
latest report
GrahamN wrote:
"almost certainly quite a way beyond where YOU think it is".

Prophetic words. Well something must be starting to work right, as last weekend I got a half-dozen turns where the ski gripped more, turned more sharply and jetted out of the turn (like the turbo-charger just kicked in) more than I'd have thought possible on those skis - and just when I needed it too Smile . Almost caught me out Shocked . Now I need to see if any of that can be found anywhere near my left foot Wink .

Very Happy
latest report
GrahamN, snowHead snowHead

Try skiing just on you left foot ... likie a video I'm sure you have watched.

You might not want to do this from the top of Aldershot to start with snowHead
snow conditions
GrahamN, Also - muck about on a wobble or balance board. That will teach your left foot to pay attention !
snow report
David Murdoch, Sounds like the first generation VR27s I had. Factory skis when new - 204cms(!) - edges put back in with some sort of boat epoxy. When you got it right it felt the bees knees, and when you didn't they just didn't turn at all! Shock I have vivid memories of heading straight for a pylon somewhere between Val D and Tignes! Shocked eventually I pulled the edge right out of one ski just under the binding (wondered why I was ski-ing so badly the rest of the day), and the guy in the shop just fell about when I asked if he could repair them. Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
ski wrote:
Try skiing just on you left foot ... likie a video I'm sure you have watched.

Great minds think alike...and on the proviso too Shocked . The slightly strange thing is that I'm better balanced on my left than right foot, but happier to make a more angled carve on the right - I guess with being right footed I'm more used to standing on my left and controlling with my right, not that I've played footie properly since primary school. The basic problem that I need to sort out here though is to get rid of a tendency creeping back in to bank rather than angulate when turning to my right.

I was actually taking similar steps on Sunday with my first shot at dropping a ski (to go to monoski) on waterskis. Just about managed it, wobbled a lot and then fell off after about 3-4 seconds. Here also I very much preferred leading with/standing on my left foot
snow conditions
GrahamN,
Quote:

The basic problem that I need to sort out here though is to get rid of a tendency creeping back in to bank rather than angulate when turning to my right.

I had a few problems with my left ankle (fell of a climb some years ago and sprained VERY badly). For about 2 years my left boot would not fit correctly... Anyway it felt (and sometimes still feels) as if it has learned to stiffen (i.e. protect the damaged area) as a response to almost any stimulus...if I'm walking up something steep (i.e. a mountain) it will not flex as far as my right one. So lots of time on the wobble board, and (when skiing) working on being soft and supple on that foot.
snow conditions
Amost anything is better than nothing, but if you want to learn how to make hard tight turns on good equipment with sharp edges and solid construction that will transmit good force to those edges, then that equipment is what you need to practice on.
snow report
Ghost wrote:
but if you want to learn how to make hard tight turns on good equipment with sharp edges and solid construction that will transmit good force to those edges, then that equipment is what you need to practice on.

I'm starting to think I'm getting to that point now...I'm starting to do bad things to get enough grip to make the turns now, so it's probably time to be looking for some skis.

The most common slalom skis seem to be Salomon 3Vs, with a fair few Fischer RC4s around, and the odd Dynastar Omecarve 10 or 63. Anything else I should be looking at - Elan something? I suspect they will be getting most use on a dry slope so I should be looking for about 160cm - right? (I'm 181cm and 90+ kg). I've seen sone RC4s going for about £200 with bindings on eBay.

I have some Salomon 914 bindings no longer gainfully employed - so would these fit on all/any of the above?

This discussion should probably move to the Equipment forum when I'm serious about it - but I'm desperately trying not to be (and equally deperately failing) at the moment. I'll probably still try and hang on until the PSB to try some out on snow before sticking my hand in my wallet - but it's getting very tempting....Wink.
ski holidays
GrahamN,

If you mean the Elan SLX fusion, which is a slalom ski at about 164, I would think a new set would be a bit of a waste of the dry slope.
I used them in deep snow..I know, I know...bad move.., and they were quite usable but not ideal there, but on the hard pack they cut like a knife. More discerning folks than I rate them better than the Rossi 9s.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy