Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski apps on Windows Phone

Poster: A snowHead
Recently I ditched my iPhone and decided to try something new, ending up with a HTC Windows Phone.

Last week I booked my annual January ski trip (off to VT - cannot wait!) & realised to my horror that I hadn't even factored in my desire for a Snow Tracks-esque app when choosing this new operating system.

Is anyone aware of / can recommend a GPS type app for Windows phone so I can track the hundreds of miles I'll be covering across the Three (and small 4th) Valleys?!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MemoryMap:Alpes should do the trick - but it's not free!

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/maps_france_onland_top25.htm
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
satski http://www.satsportsgps.com/satski/

They are ust about to release an update (early november) which will give new features and performance.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers both, any idea on the cost of running these apps for a day?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In the case of MemoryMap it's zilch!

The mapping is held on the phone itself, there's no need for any internet access.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
danno_c1 wrote:
Cheers both, any idea on the cost of running these apps for a day?

Nowt!!

from the FAQ:

Will my network service provider charge me for using Satski abroad?
Your Satski app and mobile phone’s GPS run independently from your telephone provider connection. In other words you can have no telephone signal however you will be able to use your Satski app with the GPS of your phone.

Costs maybe incurred if you are using our live services (i.e. buddy tracking, Satski messages), as some foreign service providers may charge for receiving messages/texts. This is not common practice but should you wish to deactivate your Satski live services you can do this in the menu section of Satski.

Please note if you delay downloading your Satski app until abroad it is likely your service provided will charge you to access the Internet to download Satski, so we advise to download the app before traveling abroad to avoid this cost.

If you do wait to download your Satski app, you will need to connect to the Internet for a few minutes to do this.

Please contact your service provided for more advise on how to minimize telephone costs while abroad, such as turning off roaming and Internet. Your Satski app will still work if you turn these functions off.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RunKeeper should work fine for mapping skiing too, the WP version of that is pretty good.

There's a nice app sponsored by Snow and Rock called Pathfinder which should also do the job, although it is more aimed at hiking.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Perfect, I have to say that Satski looks very impressive, so look forward to using it. Thanks all! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SatSki looks like a Windows Mobile app - i.e. not suitable for the new Windows Phone. Is the planned update going to target Windows Phone?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Take a look to http://www.skiblackbox.com

It has all the stats tracking you can ask for and it even plots your route on a map so you can see where you've been.

One of the best ski tracker app on windows phone
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skiblackbox wrote:
Take a look to http://www.skiblackbox.com

It has all the stats tracking you can ask for and it even plots your route on a map so you can see where you've been.

One of the best ski tracker app on windows phone

You wouldn't be at all biased in your opinion would you by any chance? Happy

I've actually already downloaded the trial version, will try it out next week, thanks! It certainly looks good from the info and screen shots. How well does the openPisteMap integration work, is their API easy to work with (not that I'm thinking of doing my own app wink )?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, I am little biased in my opinion Wink But really, I didn't find any app similar in windows phone marketplace so... I developed it and still using it when going to the mountains.

I am planning to add new features, you can check them out, propose new ones and vote for them here : http://skiblackbox.uservoice.com.

Openpistemap is easy to work with. Ski Blackbox uses the TileSources and planning to use the API (osm files) to download ski resort data and be able to ditinguish between different trails while tracking the points.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skiblackbox wrote:
Yes, I am little biased in my opinion Wink But really, I didn't find any app similar in windows phone marketplace so... I developed it and still using it when going to the mountains.

I am planning to add new features, you can check them out, propose new ones and vote for them here : http://skiblackbox.uservoice.com.

Openpistemap is easy to work with. Ski Blackbox uses the TileSources and planning to use the API (osm files) to download ski resort data and be able to ditinguish between different trails while tracking the points.

Yep, the closest I've found up to now is apps like Endomondo, which are OK but not ski specific. Can't wait to try it out!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm also, biased, but for completeness, check out our app

Skied Demon

More info at http://www.wieser-software.com/m/ski or straight from the windows phone store at
http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=16fd0ab7-e5b1-471f-a587-06fedab50a51

Anthony Wieser
Wieser Software Ltd
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks, will check it out too! Its great to see some nice looking apps on WP.
snow conditions
sah, Hi sah, which app did you go for. I'm using Windows Phone 8 and want something for my trip to Les Arcs in a couple of weeks.
latest report
I confess I only used Black Box, I didn't try the others (there are a couple more now, even one promoted by Nokia).

I found on my old Mozart it really drained the battery. You could get 8 hours out of it running the app, but I tended to only use the app in the morning and turn it off to save battery for the rest of the day. That said it worked well when it was running. The integration with open pistemap is fantastic, not seen any other apps do that, iPhone included.

I've got a new phone now (Nokia 920), it's got a huge battery and last longer than the Mozart so I hope to use lack Box all day on my next trip.

So, I'd certainly recommend black box, just watch the battery life!
snow report
Small bumpity

I have now had my win phone for a couple of weeks (the lumia 925) and on the whole am very happy. I thought there may be things i would miss after switching from iPhone but nope. All in all it is pretty cool.
snow report
As we're a year further on now, does anyone have any other windows ski apps to recommend please? Thanks.

Have started looking at black box, but the openpistses map for La Rosiere doesn't look quite right. Off to check out the wieser one too.

In the windows shop there's quite a few, but the only one that looks impressive doesn't include La Rosiere!
latest report
Give a go to Winter Ski and Ride, which is a sister act of Active Fitness. It has worked fine for me.
ski holidays
Thanks demos, I thought that looked promising too, but it doesn't cover La Rosiere.
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
satski http://www.satsportsgps.com/satski/

They are ust about to release an update (early november) which will give new features and performance.

I know this is an old thread, but be warned, that link takes you to a malware page now (or did for me), with very annoying pop ups and a voice message trying to get me to call a number to "get rid of a virus".

I'd looked at Satski before but seems something funny has been going on ... http://www.techworld.com/news/personal-tech/dragons-den-stars-lose-230000-in-satski-satnav-fraud-3338472/

I guess they folded and the domain has been hijacked.
snow conditions
Are there any new apps recently please anyone can recommend? Ski Black box doesn't seem to be operational any more due to the closure of openpistemap.org. The only one I can see now that is ski specific is Skied Demon. Shame about Blackbox as it was great while it lasted. Thanks
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy