Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So... just what is the problem with "A-framing"?

Poster: A snowHead
Wear The Fox Hat, Whoops. Doh!

My misread, quite right! Sorry Rusty!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rusty Guy wrote:

I guess I would only add a couple of points. "Parallel" used to refer to the skis. We don't teach a particular turn type these days. In other words, we don't take a student and say....today we're going to teach Tom a wedge turn, Robert a wedge christie, and Peter a parallel turn. All of this evolves from how successful one is with particular movements.

So parallel is not a goal. The right movements and probably more precisely the right sequence of movements is the goal. Having said that, a-framing is merely a symptom. It may be due to an alignment issue, a morphology issue such as "Q-angle" in women, or a myriad of other things.

If more skiers would simply go ski and stop getting bogged down in technique I'd be out of a job. Just go "turn em" turn them left and follow that with a turn to the right!

Brilliant - a PSIA teacher advocating making things simple!!! Very Happy If you look at my early post in snowplough turns I said pretty much the same thing about the evolution of the modern turn - different turn of phrase but .......... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're not the only ones to be confused about the good or bad points of A-framing.

This article by Ski Canada's Martin Olson also covers the same ground, and suggests we shouldn't get too uptight about it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Acacia, I couldn't get through to the article. It's not the A frame that's the problem, but the results if it's severe. An A frame because of the shape of your legs is not a major problem, but as I outllined above, it's sometimes caused by pushing the outside knee inwards, which is extremely bad for your knee, and if severe can result in rotation which has nasty knock-on effects.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Acacia, I'm trying to work out what he's getting at on the second page. Is he saying the top pic is wrong and the middle one is right?
Cause to me, the middle one is wrong.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, I couldn't either, but try right clicking, and then saving it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat, Thanks - I got it that way. I think the first pic on the second page shows the skier with a rigid outer leg, which has caused him to incline into the turn (and he appears to have a lot of weight on the inside ski). this is not the weight we're talking about on snowHead , but the result of leaning and failing to flex/relax/soften the outer leg. In the second pic the skier has both legs flexed and his outer hand lower, more angluation and a more relaxed (normal) stance. I would say the 2nd pic is better. The first page pix are old hat stuff - lower the outside hand to produce more angulation rather than inclination and the skis grip better. This has been around for yonks and yonks! Nice pix but nothing new there. Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No, not the rigid leg one, the one about tipping.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat, I see the second one has had so much tipping he's now into banking. He is saying the top one is right Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alan Craggs, I hoped that's what he was saying, but it didn't seem particularly clear!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
He's not looking very happy in 1 or 2. He doesn't seem sure where to look. By 3 he's sucking his dummy. It's not a very convincing sequence at all.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, Agree - not clear from the text at all - as I say old hat stuff though! I can remember being told that trick about the outside hand approx 15-20 years ago at least!!

Alan Craggs, Are you getting any nearer to being able to pop out for the PSB?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, all depends on work (or Mr P. Bond in the alternative wink ). To save me reading the whole thread can you remind me of the dates and if there is likely to be a problem booking accommodation at short notice? I'd probably fly/drive since BA have just given me an extra 50,000 miles as compensation for not turning up in Cyprus last Friday snowHead Laughing .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alan Craggs, Most are coming on Wed 26 Oct and leaving again on Sun 30. Some are coming a day earlier and some are leaving a day later (open until the 1st Nov. Hotel shouldn't be a problem as we seem to be taking it over!! some are coming just for the weekend. I'm looking into coach transfer from Grenoble Wed - Sun as so many arriving on Easyjet Luton-GRN at the same time. With BA you can fly to either Lyon or GVA, esp. if you have miles! Very Happy

I know we'd all love to see you if you can! - Should be fun tooooooooooooo... snowHead Laughing snowHead Laughing snowHead Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easiski, thanks all noted. Miles are no worry, 50000 is just a top up Laughing
snow report
Rather than stressing lowering an outside hand I often talk to folks about keeping both hands equidistant from the snow throughout the course of a turn. I also would suggest a high outside hand is merely symptomatic of inactive elsewhere.

In the cases of the three "A-framers" I'm finding it tough to agree that all is well. I think they might do well to seek an alignment guru!

Lastly I've come to the conclusion one of the vestigial ills from ten years ago is the vast majority of skiers "hanging" or "levered" on the tongue of their boots. Simply stated it precipitates a whole host of ills. For that reason I also can't agree with the blanket "bend ze knees" prescription.

Any of these ideas may work or be relevant in particular situations. I simply hate to see such painting with a broad brush.

merely my $00.02
snow conditions
Rusty Guy, You're more or less agreeing, but using slightly different terminology. It's true that many people do "hang" in their boots (marginally better than leaning on the back of them), but nowadays we talk about bending (flexing) the ankles, not the knees - this is a horrid hang-over from comic book Continental instructors of 20+ years ago! Dreadful idea it was too - but I think it was because back in the day they didn't speak enough English, and probably didn't know the word "ankle". Cheville, knockel etc. was used in their native tongues. rolling eyes
snow report
my canuck peer certainly seems to endorse "bending both knees". we often marvel at the "canadian crouch"! it is often easy to spot a canadian trained csia member by the pronounced "rounding" of their upper back. looking at the photo in the "bend ze knees" section i find it interesting how dark the crease is in "Good Wills" coat at his waist in the photo that is cited as preferred.

as an aside i would respectfully argue flexing the ankle is fairly meaningless. one can dorsi or plantar flex. i learned this the hard way from an orthopedic surgeon who corrected me in front of a class of students. i now have reverted to open or close the ankle.

on that topic.........in a well fitted ski boot i don't believe there is more than a degree or two range of motion in our ankles. the ssd at Winter Park is a former national demo team member and one of the best bump skiers that I have ever seen. at 47 he still mesmerizes the kids on the Mary Jane side of our resort. he utilizes a technique he ters "F.A.T." to create a foundation for balance in the bumps. the acronym stands for functional ankle tension. it is simply "cocking" or closing the ankles at all times in bumps. i have found it to be a magic potion for a lot of struggling bump skiers.

i also think a key to good skiing is to find a bootfitter who can measure one's range of motion in their ankle and set the foot at the midpoint in the ski boot. utilizing that as a starting point and then adjusting delta angles puts us in the middle of our platform.

for those who insist on opening or closing the ankles at varying points in a turn it simply serves to start an argument.
ski holidays
Rusty Guy, Try Flexons - theoretically the flex is only limited by your strength! Many freestylers are using these, and they've stopped the boot being abandoned (thank goodness) - freeriders also use them a lot - quite narrow though! I find that if you get people to flex their ankles, then of course the knees flex too. The problem was the instruction to "bend ze nees" without also explaining that the ankle had to flex.

BTW most of the teachers here use relatively soft boots for teaching (and mostly very loose). The only ski teachers you see on the mountain in race boots are the "stagiares" who are still training and may have to do the speed test.

Rusty Guy, You may not be aware that the French have no stages of ski teaching. You're a stagiare (apprentice) until you've passed the National (final exam) which is more difficult that the full cert PSIA. All other countries in Europe do have either 2 or 3 levels of Ski Teacher though, and the level at which ISIA is awrded varies from country to country. I personally think the French system is too draconian, but you should see them ski! Shocked
latest report
Nordica is kind enough to provide me with boots and skis, hence Flexons are not an option. Even without the arrangement that I enjoy with Nordica, Flexons would be well down any list of choices. They do have a devoted following here in the USA, albeit a tiny group.

I'll often pop on Nordica's Beast on really cold days, however, I seem to do fine in a plug boot

PSIA used to have just two levels.....associate and full cert. We went to levels I,II, and III. In the USA a level III cert is awarded an ISIA passport.

Every country claims to be "tougher" than PSIA. I don't know how in the world anyone would begin to make a comparison. It even exists withen the divisions of PSIA in an east vs west mentality.

It's silly.

I don't think you'll find too many weak sisters among the level III (full) certs at major ski resorts anywhere in the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or Europe.
snow conditions
Rusty Guy, The French system seems to be the most difficult because of the racing requirements which does mean that French qualified instructors tend to be good skiers, unfortunately just because a person is a good skier it does not make them a good instructor Shocked
ski holidays
Rusty Guy,

But the full cert PSIA doesn't qualify you to teach all over the world, does it? What would you have to do if you wanted to teach in France?
latest report
beanie1, The ISIA passport is supposed to mean you can teach anywhere in the world, but I believe the French are a law unto themselves.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Rusty Guy, Sorry to disabuse you, but the ISIA does not entitle you to teach all over the world. It's awarded at Grade 2 level in BASI, Landesschilehrer in Austria, and also mid level in Switzerland I think. These levels are not entitled to teach in France, only the Nationales of agreed countries, where the exams have been examined and declared the same level. If Rusty Guy, wants to teach in France he would have to do his equivalence, and what that would entail would depend on the details of the PSIA Full cert. In all likelihood the US and the French have never got together to discuss it. I think Canadian level IV is OK.

D G Orf, The racing requirement is now the Eurotest, and is common (and at the same level) to France, Austria, Italy and UK. Germany want to join the cartel, but currently their exams are not deemed hard enough, neither are Holland, Denmark, Spain, Sweden, Norway, and most of the new EU countries. I would say I've been very impressed with the Slovenians who often come here to train/do exams. They are very nice skiers and very correctly behaved on the piste etc.

Rusty Guy, I'm afraid (and not wanting to put you down), that the reason we tend to think that the Nationales of the 4 acrtel countries above are more difficult than PSIA full cert, is that many of us know quite a few people who, having failed National level in their native countries have gone to work in the US and gained their Full Cert without any problems. I have a good friend who failed his Grade 1 4 times before going to the States!

Wear The Fox Hat, Note - it's not just the French!

Sad
latest report
easiski I don't feel disabused. I'm certain the european standards are very difficult. I don't really have any idea how the discussion about A-framing morphed into a relative comparison of national certification standards. You seem fairly intent on diss-ing PSIA. Our system of certification is not perfect, however, I am not one to do a whole heck of a lot of flag waving.

In addition, I too can cite instances of "demo team" members from other countries coming to the US and failing to pass our level III exam. What's the point? On any given day folks shine or flop. I don't think any such comparison is particularly scientific.

I will say one thing. We have a great many folks who come to WP and/or Colorado from the UK. I hear an awful lot of tales about awful ski lessons in France. Perhaps I'm hearing the choir sing, insofar as these are folks, who for one reason or another, have matriculated across the pond.

I'm sure european skiing and ski instruction is very, very good. I don't think our resorts in the western US or our ski schools are going to wither away any time soon.

Viva la France (sp?) rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy