Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian resort advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
According to the discription of my Holiday to Austria (situated between Saalfelden and Zell am See)
the following ski resorts are close by - Kitzsteinhorn, Zell am See, Maria Alm, Sallbach Hinterglemm (World Cup Run), Loferer Alm and Steinplatte.

Of the resorts listed can you give me a guide to what to expect to find. And which you would recommend or avoid.

It will be my first Ski trip abroad but on the indoor stuff im classed as an advanced skiier (according to my instructor)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ren
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Renry, if it's your first trip on real mountains you'll probably love it wherever you go. I've not been to Loferer Alm or Steinplatte but the others are all great - if you have a car try and do them all. Kitzsteinhorn (Kaprun) and Zell are worth at least a day each, Maria Alm/Muhlbach/Dienten another 2 or 3 days, and Saalbach also another 2 or 3 days.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ren,

Does your ski pass include all the areas? if not be careful not to buy a full weeks pass just for one resort. Real ski areas, even small ones are massive in comparison to indoor ski slopes so one resort may be enough for you. Trying to cram too much travelling in one visit reduces time on the snow, the mountains and other resorts should still be there to visit next year wink

If the snow is good (plently & good low coverage) stick to the lower resorts (e.g. Zell, Saalbach and Maria Alm) only visit the Kitzsteinhorn glacier if snow is scarce lower down.

This page has details of many resorts that you mentioned. Some have also been talked about here on snowheads = search function should help!

http://www.bergfex.com/salzburg/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very helpfull, Thanks DB

While we are on the subject of these resorts, how do I go about getting some lessons for the wife.

ie, can you get them at all resorts? can you book them while you are there or do they need to be done in advance? how much can I expect to pay?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Renry, I'd strongly recommend Saalbach. Excellent intermediate skiing. About 200kms of piste in a circuit which has various points along the valley where you can join. The conditions in January 2004 were the best I'd experienced anywhere. The town is lively with apres ski but not too "in your face" and it is reasonably priced for food and drinks both on and off the mountain.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Renry wrote:
Very helpfull, Thanks DB

While we are on the subject of these resorts, how do I go about getting some lessons for the wife.

ie, can you get them at all resorts? can you book them while you are there or do they need to be done in advance? how much can I expect to pay?

Most resorts offer ski instruction (only the very very small ones don't in my experience). You can book lessons when you get there. Follow the links to each ski area homepage from the bergfex.com link above and look for the ski schools, see if you can book through your travel agent too and compare prices.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy