Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
Patch wrote:
Jakejenks wrote:
On the upside I can fly from Exeter (uni) straight to Chambery, happy days, might try sneak a few weekends during Easter term at uni, door to door in 4 hours maybe?

Don't the Exeter flights arrive on Saturday evening and leave on Sunday afternoon?

Haven't seen the schedule yet actually, Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As I stare at the blank page before me on which should be a 2000 word essay due in less than 4 hours, I wonder to myself; any snowheads around in Meribel 17th Dec- 7 Jan for a beer? My little bro is now working full time so he can only make it out 24th - 2nd and it would be great to meet some fellow snowheads!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Val Thorens to open on 24th Nov - or so it says on the website
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From the webcams it looks like they could have some white ribbons of death down. Piste bashers have been out moving the manmade around as well.

http://www.valthorens.com/winter-en/val-thorens/live/livecams--webcams.61.name-mc_picto3.nb0.html

On this webcam there was even 2 people in the middle of the piste, unfortunately too low res to tell if they were skiing or just wandering about, looks a bit choppy though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chrisb wrote:

Yes, opening originally delayed by a week, to 26th November, and they just announced that a very limited opening from tomorrow

http://talesfromthesavoy.com/?p=74
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Val thorens artificial snow pistes look pretty good from the webcams and talking to our key holders out there.

Benefits of being high and having invested in lots of lakes. When I was there a few weeks ago the water levels looked pretty full, there's little water usage until the season starts so my guess is that as long as real snow arrives in December there won't be a problem.

Imagine that this will reinforce the trend for 3 vallees property prices to remain firm with pressure on the lower resorts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Patch wrote:
chrisb wrote:

Yes, opening originally delayed by a week, to 26th November, and they just announced that a very limited opening from tomorrow

http://talesfromthesavoy.com/?p=74

Is that your site. Very useful!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
emwmarine wrote:

Is that your site. Very useful!

Yes, glad you like it
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Patch,

Any news on when Courchevel is going to get going?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
scooby_simon wrote:
Patch,

Limited opening is planned for 3rd December, but I think they will probably make a final decision on this mid-to-late next week, depending on what the conditions are like for snow-making. Certainly doesn't seem to be any natural snow on the horizon before early December
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Patch wrote:
scooby_simon wrote:
Patch,

Limited opening is planned for 3rd December, but I think they will probably make a final decision on this mid-to-late next week, depending on what the conditions are like for snow-making. Certainly doesn't seem to be any natural snow on the horizon before early December

OK; there from the 3rd for 2 weeks. Webcams show some accumulation from snow-making...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
scooby_simon wrote:
Patch wrote:
scooby_simon wrote:
Patch,

OK; there from the 3rd for 2 weeks. Webcams show some accumulation from snow-making...

Surprised the Russian owners don't buy snow and truck it in. Embarassed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just looked at the Meribel mid station webcam and the gondolas are on the new Saulire Express cables now. Pity there's no snow Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also seems to be enough to keep people entertained at VT
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
They're making snow in Mottaret this morning, but no sign of any real stuff yet
snow report
Also, still some doubt as to whether Pas du Lac gondola will be able to open as planned, as they have been waiting for replacement parts to arrive from Poma
snow conditions
whats the latest on courchevele ? going out there early december ....getting a bit nervous now !!! really dont want it to be a walking holiday Twisted Evil
latest report
noely_cos, Welcome to Snowheads. What date are you going?

Opening is currently planned for the 3rd December, next Saturday, but I think they will probably make a final decision around Wendesday or Thursday. The period from 3rd to 17th December is a limited "pre-opening", which can always change depending on snow conditions
latest report
Patch wrote:
Also, still some doubt as to whether Pas du Lac gondola will be able to open as planned, as they have been waiting for replacement parts to arrive from Poma

Is it likely to be open by the beginning of Janaury?
ski holidays
stevew, I'll keep you updated. Our next door neighbour has been working on the refurbishment throught the summer, and they found some metal fatique. Replacement parts have been slow to arrive, but the lift was operating through the summer anyway, so I think it will be running, even if it's with reduced capacity.
ski holidays
Patch wrote:
stevew, I'll keep you updated. Our next door neighbour has been working on the refurbishment throught the summer, and they found some metal fatique. Replacement parts have been slow to arrive, but the lift was operating through the summer anyway, so I think it will be running, even if it's with reduced capacity.

Thanks. Hadn't realised it was already open. We're stopping near the Rond Point in Jan and Ardet and the new lift will be a quick route to Saulire ahead of all the crowds.
snow report
stevew, The new Saulire gondala will be open - it's the old Pas de Lac gondolad out of Mottaret which they are having issues with
snow report
Is anyone else having difficulties viewing these webcams in full screen?

http://www.valthorens360.com/
snow conditions
Patch wrote:
stevew, The new Saulire gondala will be open - it's the old Pas de Lac gondolad out of Mottaret which they are having issues with

Kinda misread your post Embarassed
snow report
stevew, No worries.. I kinda miswrote it too ...

Patch wrote:
gondolad

a gonad-shaped gondola perhaps?
ski holidays
Sevabel have announced that the partial opening of Les Menuires has been deferred by a week from 3 December to 10 December.
snow report
What about Courchevel opening?
ski holidays
eithnem wrote:
What about Courchevel opening?

Ditto !

Already bought my Euro's for next week!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Courcheval on Facebook translated:

"Not to disappoint those who love the mountains and to please all those looking forward for weeks dreaming of your skis, Courchevel does everything and keeps open the station on December 3. The lack of snow at this time is rare, Thierry Arnou forecaster Meteo France has found it only happened three times in 30 years. So in the meantime , the employees of Courchevel ski area are more than ever motivated and have prepared with great care the track Verdons with artificial snow. It will be the only track open in the first weekend, but the goal is fun, resume skiing and the wonderful sensations it provides. The music will accompany skiers along the track for an even more festive atmosphere. Non-skiers will also enjoy a breath of fresh air at the top of the gondola Verdons. Anyone will be able to Eat and Drink at the bar restaurant Verdons will open along with the station.
And for that pleasure is total, the package (skier and pedestrian) and parking on the Croisette will be exceptionally free all weekend! "
snow report
hmmm - somehow I don't think I could put a week in on Verdons. Although if they can Verdons surely they can do something above it also. I bet the piste for the FIS event on the 17th is getting plenty of work.
snow conditions
A little more on Courchevel http://talesfromthesavoy.com/2011/11/27/courchevel-still-hoping-to-open-on-3rd-december/

Taken from Le Dauphin Libéré a couple of days ago. Some possibility os snow towards the end of the week, but otherwise the opening weekends at Courchevel and Méribel will be 100% artificial snow
snow conditions
I think the possibility of pre-weekend snow has all but dried up now.
ski holidays
I'm keeping the faith. Failing that, I say we go steal snow from Austria, who has a truck?
ski holidays
Looks like a sprinkling of snow might arrive before the weekend, but with more sustained snowfall arriving late weekend, start of next week. fingers crossed for all you three valleys people Very Happy
snow report
I am out on the 9th and the Mottaret webcams are looking pretty grim... fingers crossed but i recon there will be a bit coming in ..
snow conditions
Pedant's Corner:

"The lack of snow at this time is rare".

Three times in 30 years is one in 10. Which means once every 10 years.

I would not say that is rare; rather easily within the statistical fluctuations of normal weather patterns.

One in a 100 is rare.

...now I'm off to get a life! Embarassed
ski holidays
every time i look at one of those wiggle graph things the amount of snow / rain keeps reducing as we get closer to the day in question. The lack of a base may make this a very difficult season ahead. Certainly no one will be booking up late now I would have thought.
ski holidays
Looking at the report coming in were looking at around 15cm falling over sunday and monday at 2200m, not much but better than nothing !
ski holidays
Méribel have delayed opening! They will not open this weekend, as planned, but will make a further announcement shortly. As mentioned above, Courchevel will open at the weekend, but with only Verdons operational
ski holidays
Heading out to VT tomorrow on an early season, cheap university ski trip.

Despite the price, it's not looking particularly worthwhile at the moment... Crying or Very sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy