Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Planning an independent trip?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there everyone,

My name is Mike and I am new to Snowheads....I have already found bags of interesting comments in the forums and would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction with any advice on the following.......
I am planning on taking my girlfriend skiing for the 1st time in early January 2006, I have been a few times before but only to Austria (which I loved!). In order to try and keep cost down, I was thinking of a DIY approach to the trip....... flight into Munich or Salzburg and going from there to a nearby resort - the resorts i had in mind were either Soll or Zell am See (but Soll looks considerably cheaper for ski pack etc). I guess my questions are:

... best airport to fly into
... when to book the accomodation (last minute or upfront)
... best resort for an all round ski experience (beginners and low intermediates)

Any links to cheap accomodation which be much appreciated......

Many thanks in advance ........... Mike Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Mike, welcome to Snowheads Very Happy

I don't know about the accommodation, but there are plenty of charter flights to Austria (Salzburg and Innsbruck - I think Soll is equal distance, more or less, to both of these airports. Ryanair also fly to Salzburg from London Stansted.

I can't help you with accommodation though.

Hope this is helps.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MikeyT, welcome to snowheads, sorry I can't help you the only resorts I've skied in Austria are St Anton and Kitzbuhel. I know that in St Anton you can find rooms quite easily, out of high season, the Tourist Office there has a central accomodation agency and they're very helpful.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MikeyT, Welcome to snowHeads, I hope that we give you the answers that you need.

In trying to keep the cost down on DIY trips, another big consideration is transfer to the resort. Car hire can be expensive and for just two people, train or bus would certainly be cheaper.

I don't know much about getting to Soll on DIY as both times I went there it was part of a package. It is a good arear for your level of skiing though.

For Zell am See, you would probably fly into to either Innsbruck or Salzburg. I seem to remember someone doing the train from Salzburg to Zell (or somewhere else further along the Zillertal valley) for a ridiculously cheap price, 7 Euros or something like that. I will see if I can find the link to that on here for you.

I would have thought that you wouldn't have any trouble with finding any hotels in January, it is traditionally the quietest period.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here's the comment that I was thinking of on Zell

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=101509&highlight=#101509
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Here's the comment that I was thinking of on Zell

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=101509&highlight=#101509

Many thanks ... good link. My only concern on Zell was that equipment hire and lift pass was nearly double that of Soll. Not sure why?! I'm i being too narrow in sticking to Austria? And are there any good French resorts which are reasonable and can cater for beginners/intermediates? As you can tell........ I'm new to this DIY game!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MikeyT, there are excellent French resorts for beginners/intermediates and one of the best is La Rosiere, you can check it out by going to the resorts section here or by going to the ski Club website or www.ifyouski.com. Why not have a look at our ad in snowShops or go to our website www.tracksvacations.com where you find lots of information and a link to the La Rosiere website.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MikeyT, are you sure about the costs? The prices from the website for the lift passes look very much the same. They gave costs of 157.50 E at Soll and 157.00 at Zell for 6 day adult passes in January.

http://www.europasportregion.info/Skipass-Kalkulator.32+M52087573ab0.0.html

http://business.kitz.net/soell2005/en/winter/default.asp

I think that you would be better off sticking to a specific area - otherwise you will get even more confused. Any minute now DG Orf will recommend Wengen - if he hasn't already while I've been typing this and others will suggest Bourg-St-Maurice as a good base ...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MikeyT, Hi Mike. If you decide to go to Soll, fly to Munich, get train to Kufstein and taxi or bus to Soll. Just be careful with time of flights regarding connecting trains i.e. too late going or too early coming back. Below are some links you might find helpful. Hope you and your girlfriend have a good time.
Clive

www.bahn.de German railway information
www.soell.at
www.skiwelt.at
www.manorhaus-apartments.com

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 9-08-05 16:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Plenty to think and research there....... thanks for all your replies. Great site!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MikeyT,
Welcome to snowheads Very Happy

I would highly recommend Obertauern for convenience. Fly to Salzburg, then 1 hour by car to the resort. Plentyof accommodation there, but try to stay in the middle of the town if possible for lift and ski-school convenience. Also if there's any question mark over snow, then you can almost bet that Obertauern will have some even if neighbouring resorts are struggling.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy