Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Kashmir?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
From reading this article, bet you'd have problems getting insurance!

KASHMIR ARTICLE

Gives an entirely new meaning to the schuss position!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice one PG - particularly liked the bit about RPGs being used for avalanche control. Yeah - that ought to do it. Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hehe, one of my buddies was quoted in that. Cool to hear he made it there. Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saw the thread title and thought it was a fashion tip...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry miss read this, thought it was about skiing in cashmere.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David@traxvax, skiing in a kevlar vest would be more suitable by the sound of it....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kashmir is incredibly beautiful. I was there in 1981 before the war. With the current thaw in relations between India and Pakistan there is a possibilty we will all be going there to ski one day. That's assuming the global warming thaw continues and the Alps go green! There will be decent snow on Nagar Parbat - even in August!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Who knows, by no means beyond the realms of possibility, a Pakistani Herminator in a decade or two at the top of the world rankings....

Would love to visit the place. Let's hope common sense prevails.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And giving an entirely different slant.... this article. But which one do you believe?

A DIFFERENT KASHMIR
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A project to build a cable car is well under way in the "Switzerland of the East".
Quote:

"We will attract lots of foreign skiers as it will cost a fourth of what it costs to ski in the Alps," he said of the $8 million project, due to be completed by October -- in good time for the next skiing season that opens in January.

"Last season, even before the project was completed, we had skiers from Scotland, England and Malaysia," Shah told Reuters.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
More here....
Quote:
Last month, militants killed five Indian tourists in a grenade attack on a hotel in another part of Kashmir. But a leading rebel group quickly
reassured tourists they were not targets.

Oh, well that's ok then. Confused
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was there in 1983 and tried to go skiing, but the resort doesn't open until January because of weather issues. I staffed a medical clinic in the valley where the European hostages were taken a few months later. Scary stuff. Nothing would tempt me to go there at the moment but once peace returns it is the most ourtstanding area to visit - take a mountain bike for the lower slopes too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Martin Nicholas, I visited Gulmarg in Sept '77 (I think) as a tourist. There was already some snow but as you say not open for business. Wonderful scenery. Srinagar was fascinating. Dhal Lake is stunning. The hotel in Srinagar was owned by a Hindu so no beef, the area is Muslim so no pork, loads of lakes and streams but nobody seems to eat duck or trout, so whatever it claimed to be on the menu, it was actually scrawny chicken or tough old mutton. Went to a 'Chinese' to try to get something different - that boasted 'Beef Strongenough' on the menu. Those were the days.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kuwait Ian Did you go to Suffering Moses craft shop? or Ah Doos?
The scariest thing there was the short section of dual carriageway before Srinigar, used in both directions on both sides, by 2 and 4 wheeled or legged travellers.
As you say beatiful country. My trip was a paragon of bad planning. I went to get more experience in obstetrics, but hadn't realised that they were 96% muslim (Probably 100% now) and just how like England the weather would be....
My flight out was delayed 10 days because of the weather, snuffing out my trip to Rajahstan. I just had time to see the Taj before the flight home
As you say, those were the days
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Martin Nicholas, sorry can't remember the craft shops - should do with names like that !!
Any roads in India are scary - I did quite a bit of travelling. The best was on the narrow gauge railway up to the old Raj summer capital and hill resort Simla (but that's another thread). My last trip there was to a 5* on the beach in Goa a couple of years ago. Laila Palace Hotel (a Kempinski ). Now that's something else. India has now opened up to foreign investment and the variety of beers and even wines is now excellent. Highly recommended. Just watch out for monsoon season snowHeads - it's not just the rain but the waves. Rule out sea swimming.
(PS Martin - like the sig.)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy