Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many words are there for snow?

Poster: A snowHead
Let's not dip into the Eskimo dictionary - we'd never stop. Here's a few skiers' terms, posted on the Skiing Magazine website (admittedly with a give-away American dialect):

Powder, fluff, cream, meringue, graupel, corduroy, mashed potatoes, corn, death cookies, death mank, freshies, styrofoam, windbuff, oatmeal, velvet, champagne, boilerplate, slab, slough, glaze, rime, crud, downy pillows, life-giving nectar, Rocky Mountain love dust.

What, in heaven's name, is "graupel"?

How about some utterly British snow words? "Crispy heather" is a phrase I know from Scotland.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
White stuff
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some more phrases from Scotland: Ice, Crud and Slush.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like 'Maiden Form' as a term for an extended field of gently undulating moguls.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow, they have 'slush' in Scotland now? That's global warmimg for U!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
graupel is the riming of a snow crystal. sounds painful to me.

porridge ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"Bwrw Eira" is what is said up here in North Wales
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interestingly they've listed "meringue" but not "crust". This seems a bit pretentious to me. There's a critical distinction between 'crust' and 'breakable crust', but you'd feel a right prat telling a ski companion "I don't like this breakable meringue."
I wonder if they call it 'Pavlova', or 'Breakable Pavlova' on the Australian and New Zealand hills?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How about some truly British words "associated" with snow ?

Country grinds to a halt ?

I mean come on what is the wrong kind of snow ?? the only wrong kinda snow I know of is Yellow snow Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Let's have some more snow words, then. I like the puddings theme. 'Sorbet' should be there, or Haagen Dazs for those pistes you share with a very special friend.
Maybe 'fromage frais' for gloopy wet new snow.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If they are to be utterly British, shouldn't they involve understatement. Such as 'slightly slippery' for a sheet of blue ice
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How about using "dicey" to describe a sheet of blue ice
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like dicey. How about 'bit sticky' for extreme porridge.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nope, I prefer "Stickski"

i.e "as the afternoon wore on the strong sun caused problems with a lot of Stickski on the southfacing slopes"
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Slowplough. So, to combine your excellent word 'dicey' with its context, the full exclamation is:

"Sheet, this slope is really dicey."
ski holidays
With me I find it goes! Sh*t this slope is really.aaarrrrrrrrrgggggggghh!
ski holidays
Lets make some up: sherbert; cumulous; powderpuff; blotting paper; death slide; slurry. Hence "had to pick up some speed to make it through the heavy cumulous back there...".
ski holidays
Having recently come back from the Gorm, another term definitely in use should be ROCK! We also came across some GRAVEL (thank god they weren't my skis).
snow report
Lorraine, shouldn't that be "sheet this slope is really aaarrrrrrrrggggggghhh, look out diners" Laughing Wink
ski holidays
Maybe all snow should be called 'Peter', in honour of the excitable arm-waving swingometer fanatic who does our election broadcasts.

I mean, wouldn't you love to have Peter Snow on your ski holiday? His pole plants must be brilliant.
snow conditions
Good one David:!:
ski holidays
Mark - don't tell me you've seen the video! We're still waiting. Lorraine away for the week so at least that long to go. Confused
latest report
Here in the Cascade Mountains we have the lovely "Cascade Concrete"
snow report
That sounds like a variation on 'Sierra cement'
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy