Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl Supersport 4 Star

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have found a pair of 2004/05 supersport 4 star for £190 inc bindings. I was thinking of getting the 5star but read they can be a bit of a handful for the lighter individual. My weight is 148lbs and I am 5'11". I can ski blues easily and reds moderately. Is this ski too much for my ability or too little. I shall spend limited time off piste, so will probably avoid something like b1 or b2 bandits.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Edmundh009, Of the Bandits, the B1 is a piste oriented ski 75%+. The B2 probably 50/50 (ish). Very manageable on piste, but some skiers (me included) found that they lacked feeling underfoot and were slower edge to edge than the old Bandit XX. They do have lots of snowHead fans though.
I had hold of a pair of the Volkl 4* at a ski shop a few weeks ago, they were very lightweight, and the salesman was trying to sell them to me on that basis, I was'nt convinced. I think a snowHead wrecked a pair of 5* last winter, in just a few weeks. I'll have a look see and post up a link. Meanwhile, you're tall and light, how long are these skis?

Here's a quote from ise http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=3982&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=volkl+supersport+5%2A

"and the most fragile, I really, really wouldn't buy another pair. In fact I'm going to be speaking to Volkl to get their comments on how I can nearly destroy a pair so quickly.

The cap is stunningly brittle and the base is incredibly thin. Deeply unimpressive. They ski OK but I do expect a season out of them."

He's's not happy then!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Edmundh009, I think Ise must have had a bad pair - Volkls are generally considered to be pretty good and robust. Last year M Coins bought a pair of 5* & I got a pair of Supersport Gamma (women's equivalent of 4*) and loved them. Ellis Brigham are still selling last year's model of 5* for about £350 instead of £500.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Edmundh009,

I also think Ise must have been unlucky. I know one guy who did his instructor training on the 5* and they were great all over the mountain. I know another instructor who skied 3 seasons hard on his Volkl Superspeeds. (Superspeed is in the same range as 4, 5 and 6* or Allstar as they're calling it now)

http://www.volkl.com/ski/supersport.html

As you are an intermediate and not so heavy I'd go for the 4*. But reading through your other posts am I right in thinking you're not doind your full season until 06/07? If so it may be worth holding off buying skis until then. If you go for a couple of weeks holiday this year you will hopefully improve a lot and be wanting a more advanced ski by the time you do your season. If I were you I'd spend the extra money on getting some really good well-fitted boots and custom footbeds this year, and get the skis next year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Although if the 4* are only £190, why not buy them, use for a year or two and then sell on ebay? Will be cheaper than hiring skis each time you go.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
beanie1,
Quote:

I also think Ise must have been unlucky

Ooh, careful, ise never does anything wrong, I doubt if he could spell unlucky Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy