Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What can be done at home to improve your skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
As the Title of this post says, i'm just wondering what i can be doing at home to improve on my skiing technique before my next weekly lesson?
Any tips or ideas would be great
Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lydart, One option is to think about improving your 'internal feedback' by focusing on something as simple as walking up stairs. Think about the movements you are making, how it feels and 'zone in' to your feet. It should help when you get back on ski's by giving you a heightened awareness of your feet movements.

I'll pm a link to a blog post I made on this if it's of interest.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lydart, a few balance exercise, maybe? I don't necessarily recommend my patent exercise of doing the ironing standing on a Bosu ball wink, but doing things standing on one foot and, even better, with your eyes shut is very good. Brushing your teeth, for instance. Since one of my problems is insufficient ankle flex while skiing, I also sometimes do daily tasks with my ankles flexed.

These exercises are also good spectator sport. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lydart, very little can be done to actually improve your skiing technique at home, but the possibilities are endles for improving core strength , balance , and general fitness levels , all of which will improve your skiing no end.

one very easy exercise is lateral jumps over a low object , and also squat jumps are very good conditioning for skiing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AndAnotherThing.., that would be great if you could post me details of that blog Very Happy

Thanks to Pedantica, and Neilski, for your replies Very Happy

Is there anything else i can do to improve my core strength?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pedantica wrote:
[b] I don't necessarily recommend my patent exercise of doing the ironing standing on a Bosu ball wink, but doing it standing on one foot and, even better, with your eyes shut is very good.

Now that's extreme ironing Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
anarchicsaltire, even I can't do the ironing with my eyes shut!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try to develop some ability in another skill based sport - slacklining, juggling, trampolining, unicycling, surfing etc. You are only limited by your imagination.

Deliberate practice in another sport will transfer well to skiing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For core strength and everything else in your body, pilates and swimming. Swimming has the added advantage of building up cardio fitness too.

If that's too much commitment, Pedantica's suggestion of a bosu ball is good for core strength - anything where you are required to keep your balance works your core muscles. But these more gentle methods really need to be done every day if you want it to be effective.

For quads and glutes, do many reps of ballet pliés (yup, who would have thought) whenever you're standing in front of the stove/microwave. If you keep your feet flat on the floor during the plié and you go low enough, these will also keep your calves stretched. Do them slowly - the slower you go, the more control you will need and the harder your muscles have to work to hold position. Of course, pliés need to be done with the correct upper body posture for them to work properly.

Squats/lunges are good but your upper body posture needs to be correct to avoid damage to the lower back.

Cycling for building up bulk and endurance in the quads but not much else.

Something that is often overlooked are the foot muscles. It's easy to keep these strong by simply rising onto your toes and then lowering again - all at a slow speed. This also works the calves if the position is held on tiptoes.

And, obviously, stretching, stretching, stretching after exercising Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lydart, PM sent
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When at home work on improving your cardiovascular fitness, step up and then down on your stair or brisk walk around your local area will do.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Balance exercises definitely help. However, in order to ski well and to your potential there is more to it than that. I work as a ski instructor in Zermatt and run www.familyskiing.com. I am 46 years old and in a perfect shape. I have been thinking of putting some tips on the website and this threat makes me feel there is a demand for it.
Anyway, what I do, is to concentrate on doing something and have a rest from exercises.
Cardio - I usually run 2-3 days a week 1 hour. Bicycle the same 2-3 times a week 2 hours some 40km - mountain bike. I also go to the gym 1-2 a week.
When the water in a lake is warm I swim....I also do a lot of hiking and mountain climbing. Recently Norway.
It sounds like you are doing nothing but training but if you plan it carefully it is possible and enjoyable.
When you hit the slopes, the physical fitness is there and you can concentrate on your skiing technique.
Hope it helps.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pedantica wrote:
Lydart, I don't necessarily recommend my patent exercise of doing the ironing standing on a Bosu ball wink,

Nosiness makes me ask do you really do this on a ball or on one of the half ball balance boards? If it's on a ball aren't you going to be way too high for the ironing board or very stooped over?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
betterinblack wrote:
Pedantica wrote:
Lydart, I don't necessarily recommend my patent exercise of doing the ironing standing on a Bosu ball wink,

Nosiness makes me ask do you really do this on a ball or on one of the half ball balance boards? If it's on a ball aren't you going to be way too high for the ironing board or very stooped over?

Well you might wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
betterinblack, Something that looks like this. My ironing board is adjustable.
ski holidays
Lydart wrote:
As the Title of this post says, i'm just wondering what i can be doing at home to improve on my skiing technique before my next weekly lesson?
Any tips or ideas would be great
Thanks

hey, search youtube for 'ski and snowboard fitness boot camp', there are 3 levels, beginner, intermediate and advanced, 3 excellent balancing and conditioning videos.
ski holidays
Lydart, I have got one of these http://www.physiosupplies.com/acatalog/Wobble_Cushion_Advanced.html

I think good balance makes a lot of things easier. I have improved mine a lot with a bit of training. I just stand on the wobble cushion when watching the news or whatever, and do my advanced wobble. I vary it about - e.g. stand on one leg and wave the other one about, or balance on two legs (which oddly is harder) bounce up and down, jump and land on it, knee bends - just whatever feels right.

I like mountain biking too - I enjoy it almost as much as skiing and I have local trails. It's good for balance, reactions, fitness, and strength - particularly quads and glutes.
snow conditions
I reckon one of the most important things you can do at home wrt skiing is stretching your piriformis. I have got limited stretch in mine, one side worse than the other. My kids on the other hand can easily lay the skis at 90% to the fall-line whilst their torsos are pointing straight downwards. Just been skiing with my son and the degree to which he can turn the skis makes an enormous difference on very steep runs, or on moguls - in fact makes a big difference everywhere. I'm going home determined to make some dramatic improvements.
snow report
Wot nordicfan says re wobbleboard. (Except for the news bit - extremely bad for your health that stuff).
snow conditions
I have one of those wobble cushions... stand on it in a ski crouch, watch the ski racing on the telly and turn in time with the gates. As you get better switch to one foot.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy