Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

We woz robbed?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Europa Cup finals cancelled with just 5 racers to come down, and Finlay Mickel in the lead. a REAL shame, it would have been a superb result for British alpine racing. Why? Mickel alleges political power-play from one of the biggest Alpine ski nations....

ARTICLE

(I've seen stuff like this right down to children's level in France, so it's by no means far-fetched....)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And some more info on British achievements in competition... we're getting there...

SNOWSPORTS UK
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Typical !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
So, what is the British ski racing community doing about this? Why don't the officials who run ski races stand up to this bullying and act impartially?

It all seems to be part of a general malaise in ski racing. Interesting televisual races like parallel slaloms, or skier cross, would be hugely popular with the public, but the dinosaur-like FIS doesn't seem to be interested.

Time to rid ski racing of its plodding status quo, and replace it with something the public would prefer?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, I've been team leader at races before, it's hell. Politics rules at all levels. Dinosaurs are in charge, period. What makes it worse is that there is blatant pushing of individual/national interests. At a FIS childrens race last year in the Czech Rep I had to make an official complaint. The Czech team considered the course set for the younger competitors was "too dangerous". What they really meant was that they had watched the French, Austrians, Italians in training and realised that the advantage lay with the other nations who were technically better, and the only chance they had was if it was held on a flat, uncomplicated course, where the heavier racer would likely come out on top, irrespective of ability. The race referee was a Czech. The Austrian and other team leaders objected as well as myself. The referee listened to us all, then used the 'danger' excuse to move the start down the hill as the Czechs wanted.

(Justice was done though.... we whooped them anyway Madeye-Smiley )
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, On the subject of GB SnowSports, to give them their due, they are severely strapped for cash and lack influence alongside the 'big' Alpine nations. Many racers have to fund themselves for long periods, it can cost tens of thousands to equip and train on snow sufficiently each year to compete with those who live virtually on the slopes. Hence the sport's exclusiveness at competition level - successful racers rarely come from the 'average' family.

On the negative side, I contacted them several times some years ago proposing that we encourage expatriate and dual nationals living in the Alps to partake in the system more - there are some real talents out here. However they apparently were not interested - they have yet to reply. Perhaps the 'dinosaur' factor at play.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The point I meant to make is that parallel slaloms, skier cross or other head-to-head events would be less prone to this interference and influence.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Certainly more spectator-friendly, I'd agree there. Thre are plenty of high level races of this type, international tours, freeride spectaculars - they just don't yet get the exposure of the traditional races. How many snowHeads followed the recent X-Games, for example? They did get some tv time. FIS is moving slowly in that direction, but it'll take a while.

Personally I'm not entirely in favour. Head to heads are fun to watch, but dangerous; if it gains importance at senior level, kids will be inevitably be made to practice these events at an ever younger age - and I've seen the consequences, some horrific injuries. On the whole they're simply not mature enough for that kind of thing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith, apparently a complaint is to be lodged ref Finlay Mickel, but will it get anywhere? Of course not.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/3516784.stm
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can understand why he's upset, he skis what was probably the race of his life, is in first place and certain of doing well and then has it all taken away because the Austrians are scared their people are going to crash (not perform well) because of conditions that everyone else has raced in, pretty upsetting for him I would have thought.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG. If head-to-head events involve significant injury risk then I withdraw the suggestion. Your link is good news. Videotape evidence should indicate how the weather was developing during the event. If it was an issue of visibility, the FIS could have a standard method of measuring it - maybe they do.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In world cup races and other single skier races the result is measured by the time a racer spends on the course, from breaking the start to crossing the finish. I have often seen side by side races decided by the start with one racer either trying to jump the gun and having to try again or starting a fraction late.
He may be faster but just can't make up the time lost in the start.

....Ott
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The start's crucial, but not easy to jump the gun with the modern start gate 'plank' which (in theory) comes down simultaneously... The danger for kids is that when the faster one finds himself behind he careens into the others, causing a mass pile-up. Boys are worse, they mature later and can lack the common sense to bide their time! Last race I saw one girl suffer her second dislocated hip in two seasons. She's been told she'll have to give up ski racing as a result. Just 13 too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What I meant by jumping the gun is that the racer will hit the gate and it won't open so he has to rock back and try again giving the racer who timed it right a head start.

....Ott
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
With you. Another key factor is sheer strength over those first few yards. The sprint starter has an obvious advantage. One of our club skiers is world no 2 this year, Enak Gavaggio. He describes what it takes pretty well here.....

ENAK GAVAGGIO
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy