Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swimming is proving to be fantastic rehab and a great body toner

Poster: A snowHead
I had a wee incident on the mountain in April that exacerbated an existing problem and resulted in a spinal injury; had surgery six weeks ago. Apart from four very simple physio exercises I was given by the hospital physio, the only other exercise I have been allowed to do since the surgery is walking (lots of it) and swimming.

I'm now in my third week of swimming and am doing 1,000m per day/five days a week and the results have been nothing less than incredible.

Prior to the injury I was very active (six hours of pilates per week, an hour of cycling every day, plus fencing and indoor climbing and then skiing in the winter) so was by no means unfit. In the period between the injury and the surgery, I was basically bed-bound and lost a lot of muscle mass, strength and cardio fitness.

Now, every day I can feel which muscles are hurting from swimming and can attest to the fact that swimming seems to be almost a full-body workout (if you do the various strokes). I'm regaining muscle mass, strength and tone at a surprisingly rapid rate. My clothes have even stopped feeling too loose.

So, for anyone thinking of improving cardio fitness and muscle tone, I would highly recommend some dedicated time in the pool. And it's very pleasant too, being in water.

The only downside is the very faint whiff of chlorine I'm convinced I can smell on my skin despite showering after every swim (why don't they use salt water chlorinators in this country?)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh, and I've found these handy little animations to show which muscles are used in swimming:

http://youtube.com/v/1rQ8iEGd2jk

http://youtube.com/v/5TJHgfTubzI
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zero-G, trouble is that most people (me included, although I am a strong breaststroke swimmer) can't do these strokes well or energetically enough to gain the undoubted benefits. So glad you're mending well, though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pedantica, definitely but then that could be said for any activity that non-athletes do. The benefit comes in moving/using the muscles as opposed to being static. Even a little is better than nothing. Though, if anyone is going to take up an activity or exercise regime, skills will improve with time.

I suppose my surprise at the benefits of swimming is due to swimming not being as ubiquitous in the public conscious as much as going to the gym, for example. That said, I really shouldn't be surprised since both of my younger sisters swim competitively to national level but they're in another country so I'm not really exposed to it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zero-G, I'm not particularly fit. I'm sure I was fitter before my illness although my working hours have never allowed for much exercise time.

I have recently installed a new 'regime'. If I get out of work early enough on a Thursday night I go swimming, nothing strenuous, just one km which takes me around 45 mins. I'm strictly breaststroke and head out of the water, so probably not the best way but since I always have my mouth open (can't breathe through my nose) it's the only way. I also do pilates at home once or twice a week, and go for a 5km run every Sunday morning. Also, my Saturday job I'm on my feet all day, moving bikes around, etc. where as my weekday job is 50 hours of sitting at a desk or drawing board.

Swimming seems to wear me out more than anything else, so I'm trying to convince myself it's doing some good. I haven't lost any weight yet (been at new regime for a month now and I'm at least a stone overweight), and I can't say I feel any fitter yet, but I'm hoping it's working.

Well done to you for doing so well.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia, it takes me 30 minutes to swim 1,000m (sounds better than 1km), so I'm not exactly doing sprint laps but my heart rate does increase and I do sometimes have to take a breather. Although I've needed less breathers this week than last week.

I am aiming to increase my speed per lap so that I can improve cardio fitness until I can start cycling again but my immediate goal is rebuilding my core and general strength (I have literally wasted away these past few months) to support my spine.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I'm strictly breaststroke and head out of the water, so probably not the best way but since I always have my mouth open (can't breathe through my nose) it's the only way.

That statement makes no sense. Puzzled
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mouth breather? wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It made sense in my head! Very Happy

What I mean is I have to swim with my head completely out of the water. I only breathe through my mouth (my nose doesn't work) and I can't hold my breath long enough to complete a stroke with my head under water.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swimming is the next best sport to skiing as per me. You can do so many variations in your swimming in form of strokes. But I had no idea about the benefits of every stroke and especially back stroke. Thanks for sharing info.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zero-G, Those animations are really interesting. I never swim normally (lack confidence and don't like having my head under water or being out of my depth) but did a little bit of freestyle each of the ten days I stayed at my SIL's and now know why the front of my shins hurt for the first few days! Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
turnergeorge7, both my surgeon and my physio told me to swim only backstroke in the beginning (works dorsal and ventral muscles around your core). Now that my core is strong enough, I'm swimming the other strokes too. And feeling the benefits.

Iski Laughing yup, I could add calves and triceps... which are the two mucles that are difficult to stretch (especially if you're hypermobile like me).

One thing I will say, swimming seems to work the glutes in a very good way, I am developing much better shape and strength in that region; better than the shape I got from all those hours of pilates, fencing, cycling and climbing (all of which I will definitely resume once I've been given the all clear).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zero-G, as school holidays are now over, I'm thinking of heading for our local pool myself.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells wrote:
Zero-G, as school holidays are now over, I'm thinking of heading for our local pool myself.

If you stick with it, you can't go wrong Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zero-G,

If you enjoy swimming and cycling then the natural progression is to come and do some triathlons! Brilliant fun and you'll get very fit very quickly...
snow conditions
Hurdy, heh, I will be disowned if I take up yet another sport! I already give up every evening after work, plus Sat and Sun mornings or arvos to do all this stuff.
snow report
Hurdy, I quite like swimming and cycling too, but I would not under any circumstances be adding running to the equation.
ski holidays
That skeleton has beautiful technique Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
If you swim for fitness then I strongly recommend to learn all the different strokes (there are some good tutorials on youTube), breast stroke is not a good stroke for longer distances (a proper kick can screw up the the knees), especially if you keep your head out of the water (very bad for neck and swimming efficiency as you tend to drop the legs which creates drag). Most of your swimming mileage should be crawl/freestyle.

excellent site for learning crawl
www.feelforthewater.com

also, Total Immersion has lots of good stuff on YT

http://youtube.com/v/l8YDoF-9juo&feature=channel
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy