Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How Much for Ski Jobs?

cran
cran
I want to work a season (maybe a few seasons) as a transfer driver or driver/ski tech/handyman in the French Alps but have no idea what sort of salary to ask for or to expect.

Obviously a transfer driver with no accommodation or ski passes or other benefits is going to get paid more than a live in driver/other with free ski passes and meals/accommodation but I can't find much info on rates for either.

Does anyone know what the rates are likely to be for the various types of driving jobs?

Or even rates for any ski jobs...

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
10euro per hour driving is the norm.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cran, Welcome to snowHead

You could also ask on Natives.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cran, welcome to Snowheads, have you had a look at www.natives.co.uk, check out their forum.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PM Techmonkey on Natives, he made a spreadsheet of wages in various places.

Short answer: Not a lot.
ski holidays
 cran
cran
Thanks...

wasn't expecting a lot... but don't want less than not a lot... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do you have the right licence to drive minibus or bigger? If not, you aren't going to get a lot of work as a transfer driver.

I'd say whatever you do, if it is just a seasonal job, you are probably staring straight at minimum wage, if that, for most shop or manual jobs. Driving can be considered a slightly more skilled job requiring at least the right licence, so you might get a bit more.
snow report
 cran
cran
yeah, have D1 and D1E minibus licences and have done lots of driving on the other side of the road and in winter.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999 wrote:
PM Techmonkey on Natives, he made a spreadsheet of wages in various places.

Short answer: Not a lot.

this is the relevant thread - http://www.natives.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18879&highlight=wages
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are transfer driving a mini bus in France for a fee, do you have to have the equivalent of a PSV licence?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Monium, not so - plenty of transfer companies/TOs use eight-seaters for that very reason.

achilles, no. Depending on the vehicle you're using.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
just been through this to take a minibus over to landgraaf. The French Police do not always take the automatic d and d1 that some of us older peeps have, they want it passed by test. Driving a minibus has all sorts of hassles, basically psv and if driving on an english drivers licence you need a drivers card for the tachograph, plus all the various hassles over insurance etc etc. If you drive a 9 seater (8+1) then its a whole differant ball game!! normal licence will suffice.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard, thanks.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
iskar, most transfer companies in the Alps use 8 + 1 vehciles such as Renault Traffics for this very reason. Also avoids the need for a tacho and 101 other regs.

Ski-lifts are looking for "franchise partners" http://www.yodelmagazine.com/your-own-business-in-morzine-les-gets.html . Whether this is a real partnership/franchise or a nifty way around French working hours regs I have no idea!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi cran,

If you are looking at working for a tour operator for a season, as a vast generalisation, you will recieve:

- transport to/from resort
- accomodation and all reasonable bills paid (eg electric water etc)
- lift pass, ski hire and usually some basic lessons if you have never skiied
- food or food allowance or chalet meals or leftovers
- insurance
- 1 full day off per week and time off during the day to ski

As a wage you're looking at anything from £60 - 120 a week, dependant on the company etc. Plus you'll get some holiday pay and an end of season bonus of some sort, usually dependant on there being no damage to the vehicle at the end of the season if you are a driver.

Because of the high application rates for season jobs, there won't be any negociation etc re wages - the company will set this and all of the drivers will recive the same. In general, your best bet in my opinion is to choose a job which suits you, with an accomodation and a lift pass which you are happy with (some only cover 1 area eg a Meribel pass in the 3 valleys).

Have a great season!!
snow conditions
 Poster: A snowHead
We employ D1 minibus (16 seat) drivers for our larger minibuses as well as the B licence holders for our 8 seat minibuses.

To drive professionally you must have obtained your D1 entitlement by taking a test.

D1 qualified drivers get paid more that B licence holders Happy

For an Application Pack and Job Description please e-mail us at info@chamexpress.com

Cheers.

Andrew

Coach & D1 Minibus Drivers Chamonix, France Competitive salary + bonus. Staff shared accommodation and meals package also available

We are looking for PCV / coach and D1 Minibus drivers in the Alps this winter.

We are seeking to employ coach and D1 minibus drivers to operate our door-2-door Airport Transfer Service between Geneva Airport and Chamonix, to a timetabled schedule.

As part of our professional driving team, you will be the face of Chamexpress, dealing with our passengers each day and ensuring they have the best possible experience! We have high expectations of our drivers. Only the best will do. We are constantly raising the standards in the Airport Transfer Industry.

Airport Transfer Coach/D1 minibus Drivers work on a fixed rota for the season. You will receive a monthly salary at a good rate of pay and are employed under a UK contract. This means your NI contributions are maintained and your salary is paid direct into your UK bank account.

In addition to your salary package, all Airport Transfer Coach/ D1 minibus Drivers have the opportunity to qualify for a performance related bonus.

A staff shared accommodation and meals package is also available.
snow report
 cran
cran
Thanks for the replies.

It seems that 9€ - 10€ per hour is the going rate for transfer drivers (not working for a chalet/tour company) with about 35 hours per week with most of those hours on Saturday.

I've so far been offered two jobs and found an apartment in the Grand Massif.

So unless something amazing comes up from the other applications that I've put in that's where I'll be going Toofy Grin

I have to fund my own ski pass (I already have the boots/skis etc.) and I will work weekends plus 1-2 days so will get 3-4 days off a week Madeye-Smiley and I've got mates rates on my accommodation. Is going to be great (if I don't break my neck on the slopes in the first week).

I also found that my d1/d1e isn't valid even though I've been driving 16 seater minibuses in the UK for the last 10 years (but not a problem with the jobs I've been offered) so I'm taking the medical and theory/hazard tests in September when I'm back in the UK for a few weeks and then I'll do the full D1/D1E and PCV tests next summer to give me more options next year.
ski holidays
cran,

To drive a seat minibus (up to 17 seats, inc driver) with fare paying passengers in the EU you need to pass these - as well as your normal driving licence:

I. Theory test - Large Vehicle Hazard perception.
II. Theory test - Large Vehicle Driving.
III. Theory test - Passenger Carry Vehicle driving.
IV. Practical exam - Passenger Carry Vehicle driving.
V. Theory exam - Certificate of Professional Competence.
VI. Practical test - Certificate of Professional Competence.
More details here
Note there are some exceptions (for charities, etc) but in your case I don’t think these will apply

In addition you'll need to take a medical ( More details here )

Note all of these must be re-newed with a min number of PCV / CPC training hours every 5 years.

I bought a fleet (7) of minibuses last year all 17 seaters, so I had to pass those tests last year so I could drive one on a few small group transfers in Italy, so "think" (may be wrong) that it's the same in France as it's based on EU regs. Chamexpress will be able to tell you what the regs are in France, so you could ask them to give you the low down on this.
Mind you, If I can pass the tests, it proves they are not that difficult Madeye-Smiley

For general information start here

Hope this helps
snow report
Wayne,
Just wondered if you did those tests in the UK anywhere near Wigan and how long they took/cost?
My other half wants to drive a 13 seater minibus occasionally in Europe this Winter and we've just started looking into him getting his PCV and are trying to work out if it's worth him doing it.
Cheers,
Victoria
ski holidays
 cran
cran
They do the tests at large vehicle testing stations

takes 6-8 weeks (in Peterborough where I'm doing mine) because of the time between applying for medical, applying for provisional licence, then the theory tests, then the practical tests as they have to be done in order.

Cost from £600 if you only have few practical lessons, up to a couple of thousand if you do an intensive driving course 3-5 days). If he already drives minibuses on a restricted D1 then probably nearer the £600 as the extra practical training will be unnecessary.

A quick google found http://www.wiganlgv-pcvtrainingcentre.co.uk/

This site will give you your nearest test center, just fill in LVG/Bus and your postcode http://www.dft.gov.uk/fyn/search.php
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Having read the above, i have a question, mainly to companies who employ bus drivers.
im 46 years old, physically fit, held a manual pcv/psv for 25 years driving in the uk. held a car licence for 29 years. clean license and cpc. driven twin door double deckers, to single deckers. i have uk bank account, ni number but live outside the uk but still in europe. Also driven coaches on the manual tacho.

Does this interest any ski resort companies?
Thank you
snow report
Tinyuk45 wrote:
Having read the above, i have a question, mainly to companies who employ bus drivers.
im 46 years old, physically fit, held a manual pcv/psv for 25 years driving in the uk. held a car licence for 29 years. clean license and cpc. driven twin door double deckers, to single deckers. i have uk bank account, ni number but live outside the uk but still in europe. Also driven coaches on the manual tacho.

Thank you

They'll snap your hand off.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is quite interesting I spend April to July going back and forth to France I have a full d license as well been doing it full time for ten years fancy a change maybe next season now
wouldn't of thought they employed overseas drivers to do it
latest report
iskar wrote:
The French Police do not always take the automatic d and d1 that some of us older peeps have, they want it passed by test.

How does this show up differently on a driving licence?
snow report
Tinyuk45 wrote:

Thank you

Have you approached any ski resort companies?
ski holidays
@Tinyuk45, @Beans, I am no expert on this but I did investigate doing some part time truck driving for a French company, (French registered vehicles on French operators licence in France). I do have the full C&E entitlement on my UK licence and my UK DCPC is up to date. The problem is, and this is going to sound like a repeat of the Eurotest ski instructor thing rolling eyes to drive a HGV professionally in France you must have their equivalent of the DCPC, acronym I think FIMO, and there is no recognition / equivalence for the UK DCPC. Therefore you must do the FIMO, which is all in French and, unlike the UK DCPC, includes an exam that you must pass. As I said my knowledge is only of the LGV side but I assume, like the UK, there is an equivalent PCV scheme. Where the start point for all these requirements is I do not know, I suspect LGV it is 3.5t but do not have a clue what size minibus you would be able to drive without it. I am afraid I only know about the French situation, not about Austria / Spain / Switzerland / Italy etc. and I have heard of drivers doing what I said, driving French HGV's with UK licence, the licence is no problem it is equivalent / exchangeable, and have shown their UK DCPC card to gendarmes in a roadside stop and been waved on, but equally I have heard the opposite too with a driver being told to drive no more and being fined. Hope all that helps and good luck, would be interested to hear how you get on if you do proceed.
snow conditions
Just to get something clear; "ski resort companies" do not typically hire bus/coach drivers (at least from my resort-working experience in France). The coaches are owned and driven by local companies with local drivers provided; the tour operators do not own the coaches. I worked for Crystal, the largest UK ski holiday company, and also knew of the workings of the other major TOs, and it was definitely their policy only to contract the services of local companies such as Loyet and Veolia who were the main coach suppliers where I was (in Les Arcs, Loyet i know had a small coach depot in Bourg St Maurice).

Driving roles in resorts IME tended to be for minibuses; obviously driving qualifications will be a leg-up for those but not a requirement by any stretch.
ski holidays
That's exactly wot I thought skitow and Dav you also right it's not just ski holiday company's that hire in Coaches I have all sorts of names and company's on the side and windscreen on my coach
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's exactly wot I thought skitow and Dav you also right it's not just ski holiday company's that hire in Coaches I have all sorts of names and company's on the side and windscreen on my coach
latest report
Is it just me or is this French requirement to take their tests to drive 9+ minibuses despite having that provision on a UK licence, yet another example of the bloody mindedness of the French to protect their own trade?
ski holidays
It's just you in the uk you still will have to have a theory test ,driving test, dcpc for a Vehicle that's got more then 8 passenger seats for hire or reward but you might have d1 on your license but it will have a 101 restriction on it meaning you can drive up to a 16 seat for pleasure Hope this helps I no it's a bit long winded
latest report
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
Is it just me or is this French requirement to take their tests to drive 9+ minibuses despite having that provision on a UK licence, yet another example of the bloody mindedness of the French to protect their own trade?

No it's just recognising that grandfather rights on licences shouldn't be used for commercial operations. Even in the uk people with 7.5 ton c1e grandfather rights because they passed before 96 (i think) have been marginalised out of commercial use for the need to hold a valid cpc card.
snow report
sequoiaboard wrote:
Tinyuk45 wrote:

Thank you

They'll snap your hand off.

well sent a few cv off, only one reply...only offered £500 a month...so thats a no go...anyone have any insite into best companies please.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy