Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

knee support for old injuries

Poster: A snowHead
I've had a pretty stiff knee for a couple of years... originally damaged it when running a marathon and then twisted it when skiing last easter. it's not painful but it does stiffen up if i go a few days without running or cycling. i don't think there's anything wrong with it as such but I'd like to try to support it for the coming season so it doesn't get any worse. Can anyone recommend any good knee supports or exercises I could do to look after it? Thanks Little Angel
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
www.ossur.co.uk do some and I have one (CTi® OTS Knee Brace ). Made a huge difference this year - managed 9 days of skiing and even did a lesson in powder snowHead snowHead snowHead

http://www.technologyinmotion.com/ too

have used the neoprene knee brace ones too but this gave a lot more support
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lablanca, if you do not have a specific problem (ACL deficient, meniscus tears, arthritis or luxation of the knee cap), do not wear a support. It just fools you into thinking you are alright. Better to do a lot focussed exercise and strength building work between now and your trip.

Otherwise a simple neoprene or similar sleeve will provide the warmth if it is the cold that causes your discomfort.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for www.ossur.co.uk. It is a good site.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob and sharon, Hi, I've just had a look at both websites and was very impressed. Did you have consultation and fitting and if so, was it expensive? Thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Samerberg Sue, you are talking sense, although strapping and braces can give usefull proprioceptive feed back

lablanca, Would it not be better to have your knee examined by someone who knows what they are talking about? (preferably by someone who does not have a vested inerest in selling you an expensive knee brace)

Happy Skiing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks guys... i think the problem might be to do with the muscles behind my knee cap knotting up (that's what i was told by a sports masseuse who did some work on it, but that was before i twisted it). i've just moved to france now and not sure if i could get a knee exam on their national health? or even if i could, if i would understand what the doctor was saying!

maybe knee-strengthening excercises would be the way forward, though those ossur braces do look pretty impressive!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have a problem similar to yours but it is not specific to knees. It happens in hips, knees and ankles. After trying many remedies, and studying the cause of muscle pain, I discovered that the best treatment is to apply heat after exercise for a few days.

A hot water bottle placed on hips, knees, and ankles gets the blood flowing and removes any toxins and any build up of blockages which causes the perception of pain. If you are careful, you could also try gently massaging the area after heating it up. It is very easy to over massage, and you will find that this actually does more damage than was there in the first place. Just a gently rub is enough.

Certainly any exercise which caused blood to flow into the area would strengthen and relieve pain.

Wearing compression bandages, or neoprene supports, increase the blood flow into that area whilst exercising. Much of the pain you perceive will be due to bad blood circulation in that area. Wearing these supports helps ensure that there will be less of a reaction when you rest. The toxins and blockages will be flushed out by the exercise!

I should say that skiing rarely causes these pains, and cycling does not either. In fact both have a positive effect, in that my legs feel revived after skiing or cycling. Jogging, or fast walking (or wearing the wrong shoes), tend to cause the problems. For me it could be some ankle weakness, which does not cause any problems when cycling or skiing (due to the support from boots).

For you it seems it is more specificly related to a muscle weakness and trauma to one knee. Strengthening that knee might help longer term, as there will currently be an inbalance. For short term pain relief refer to my earlier comments.

rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
lablanca, if you do not have a specific problem (ACL deficient, meniscus tears, arthritis or luxation of the knee cap), do not wear a support. It just fools you into thinking you are alright. Better to do a lot focussed exercise and strength building work between now and your trip.

Otherwise a simple neoprene or similar sleeve will provide the warmth if it is the cold that causes your discomfort.

This.

My physio recommended me to ditch the supports as I was doing more damage to the knee wearing them (I have the brace ones) followed the physios simple exercise routines and these really helped - last exercise he gave me was standing on one leg (the problem knee) arms out for balance and eyes closed - simple but really does work for strengthening the ligaments in the knee.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I just bought a pair of orthotic sports insoles, they seem to improve how I feel immediately when walking. I'll let you know if there is any dramatic improvement which results in my trying jogging again.

rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm regularly stretching my left leg now as well, and either this or the orthotic sports insoles do seem to be having some effect. The stretching of the left hamstring has the most noticeable impact at all areas of irritation (knee, hip and ankle). There is some improvement already and this is only 10 days.

I think I may have one leg longer than the other, which is why stretching one leg seems to help.

rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lablanca wrote:
thanks guys... i think the problem might be to do with the muscles behind my knee cap knotting up (that's what i was told by a sports masseuse who did some work on it, but that was before i twisted it). i've just moved to france now and not sure if i could get a knee exam on their national health? or even if i could, if i would understand what the doctor was saying!

maybe knee-strengthening excercises would be the way forward, though those ossur braces do look pretty impressive!

If the pain persist I would suggest to go see a doctor. Full clinical examination will help you deal with it and let you get the treatment accordingly.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can't beat a standard cheapo tubigrip.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do them ski mojo systems work? Suppose to reduce stress on the legs up to 30+%..... I've never seen one being used though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I skied with a Swiss instructor who used one, who rated it; I was aware that there was something different about the leg carriage but they were able to demonstrate good short radius and carving wearing it. Without it due to injury they could not ski for very long at all.
latest report
Hi YES they do work (I work for them so I would say that but, so too do virually all the people who have ever bought/used one) Sparkes123,
snow report
I too am having stiff knee when skiing first thought that it was just one o those things but my knee started to lock later found out that I was suffering from lcl knee injury (found this quite useful) I dont know how it happened.. cannot remember hitting my lateral collateral ligament at all on anything.. maybe it just slipped into a bad position without me noticing from bad form. anyway does anyone know if this type of injury needs custom knee supports or not.. been looking online cannot find i they even exist. Or are knee support only cover up the issue and I need to look at just restrengthening the knee through physio? thanks.
latest report
lablanca wrote:
I've had a pretty stiff knee for a couple of years... originally damaged it when running a marathon and then twisted it when skiing last easter. it's not painful but it does stiffen up if i go a few days without running or cycling. i don't think there's anything wrong with it as such but I'd like to try to support it for the coming season so it doesn't get any worse. Can anyone recommend any good knee supports or exercises I could do to look after it? Thanks Little Angel

Best support for a dodgy knee is strengthening and balance work.

Tedious , i know, but well evidenced.

If the knee is a bit worn a support can help but no need to go expensive, simple knee sleeve, no hinges is all that is required.

That is because they work by squeezing the knee a little which helps the brain register the movements better.

I did put up a strength programme last year on our website which may help https://www.facebook.com/wimbledonclinics

Jonathan
latest report
I tried many things for my knees, and eventually I stumbled upon a miracle cure. I used a foam roller on my illiotibial band, and a shiatsu massage cushion on my hamstring. This seems to make the patella track properly, and as well as stopping anything which makes these tendons and muscles tight, it has been for the most part completely cured.

I never got this diagnosed. However, a sports shoe salesman had a look at my gait, and suggested that one leg might be longer than the other. I translated that as my muscles were tight on one leg. This was certainly true.

Problem solved!
latest report
Quote:

I used a foam roller on my illiotibial band

Sore? wink
snow report
It was in places, but then it improves. Apparantly, you are meant to roll slowly over the illiotibial band until you find it painful. Then hold it where the pain is for a few minutes. Anyway, seemed to work for me.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy