Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

please help me to understand

Poster: A snowHead
Hi There peeps, i've got another daft question. I have seen some skis for sale at a very attractive price which would make it cheaper for me to buy them than to keep renting over the next year or two. Problem is, the description says they are for an expert skiier, i am only a lower intemediate. So what does this mean, to me, all modern carving skis look the same, how can some be for intemediates and some for experts? If i tried to use expert skis what would happen? would they not work or would i spend a lot of time eating snow? I am guessing it's like cars, where a learner would drive a fiesta or something where as an expert may drive a TVR. i.e. the learner could make the TVR go but would probably kill themselves?

TIA Mac
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What skis?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The way I understand it, the more "advanced" skis have a smaller sweet spot and are therefore less forgiving. What I mean by this is that on a beginner ski, your centre of mass might be a bit too far in the back seat, or not quite centred over the skis. You'd get away with it, just suffering a reduction in steering leverage. However, with advanced skis, you wouldn't be able to get them on an edge and they'd just run away from you - resulting in eating snow.

I'm probably over-simplifying things, but in general, beginner skis are more forgiving and very easy to get into a carve, whereas expert skis are stiffer (so you need to ski much more aggressively to get them to carve) with the smaller sweet spot I talked about above.

What are the skis you've seen?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In essence they will be too stiff for you to presure properly, and you'll just end up getting tired fighting the ski.
An intermediate ski will generally be softer and easier to stay in balance on.
Also some Expert skis can have a very small sweet spot that takes a skilled user to get the best out of.
Which ski is it? Some expert skis are quite user friendly. The Salomon 3v Slalom ski for example.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Doh, there wern't any replies when i began typing that out....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Most ski's have a range of ability levels....why not look up the ski on something like the Snow&Rock website which gives their own guide to ability (ranging from 1 beginner to 10 Herman Maier) then ranks all the skis with the range they're suitable for?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the ski's in question are blizzard epic 6, i think i'll give them a miss. it's a shame 'cause there's loads of them on e bay from £30 upwards (brand new inc bindings)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.skiandsnowboardhouse.com/40181.html

This one?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
markP, oh well - at least that means I wasn't talking out my backside for a change then!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lol, Its amazing how t'intenet can make fools out of us all...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mac Daddy, I've been looking at those, I would say they come in at the intermediate level according to the blizzard website - look at my other threads further down about "blizzrd skis" and "ski length" for the feedback I got. I actually had my eye on some Sigma 7.0 FxP Ti before I got the pocket rockets
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep those ones. there are ton's of them on e bay, all very cheap. But like has already been said, probably too advanced for me Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I wouldn;t say so. I'd say probably the right level for you - I'd count the TG3 etc as beginner skis, Epic range for those looking to improve,m and the Sigma as skis for those who are too big for their boots and ne..

Oops, that's me Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you're concerned, but want to dive in, given the price, then go short. If you normally have a 175, then go 165 for example.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like a pretty good ski to me. especially at the price you can't go wrong.
Get the 167
ski holidays
I think this is quite tricky ground:

Their is a tendency for people to overstate their abilities. Consequently ski shops and manufacturers say intimidating things about their skis ("very precise extreme ski for aggressive dynamic skiers") or some such.

Now I have worked a season (10 years ago) and ski every year (but only about ten days). I'm pretty competent. Probably just about expert. NOT a superstar!

I recently tested a pair of Stockli Stormrider XL (the quote above was associated with them). The guy in the shop made a big deal ("VERY stiff, demanding. come back and try some Rossi B2s if the Stocklis are too much"). They were fantastic and not difficult to ski on. I bought them. My feeling is that if you know how to make skis carve you can use "expert" kit. If (unintentional) skidding has a big part to play in your skiing you should probably go for something a bit tamer.

J
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy