Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obscure German resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Heres some of Pics I come across of what you can expect in Wilingen
http://www.students.uni-mainz.de/sprec000/Schnee.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have been to the Harz several times as I am german and live in Hanover which is a 1.5 h drive to Wurmberg in Braunlage - the largest resort in the Harz. The Wurmberg is close to 1000 m high and offers 12 kilometres of downhill skiing on 6 runs. They got 2 draglifts and even a gondola which takes you from the town (600m) to the top of the mountain. The long runs back to the down are green and definiately no fun for snowboarders. But three runs i would consider blue with reddish portions depending on the conditions. Usually they got good snow conditions for around a month or so (January/ February). This year however they got massive snowfalls in early march. They even managed to set up a small (unofficial) snow park with 2 big ramps and some smaller ones.
I usually ski in the big french resorts, but the Harz is good for one or even two days of skiing. Loads of dutch people seem to go there and bring their own instructors to do their first tracks.
I just came back from a summer trip to Braunlage: The lift company wants to build snow cannons and some new pistes. They even want to link the resort to another smaller one nearby. Right now they are negotiating with the government as they want to build in a conservation area.

I have never been to Winterberg (the resort which started this thread) but a good friend of mine did. He said it was quite nice but most of the runs there are veeery short and the some of the lifts are not connected, so you have to do a short drive. A map is located at hxxp://www.skiliftkarussell.de/images/bilder/panorama_big.jpg

One piece of advice that counts for both resorts Winterberg and Braunlage: DON'T GO THERE ON WEEKENDS!!! Especially in Braunlage you will have to cue for an hour or two to get on the gondola and stand in queues most of the day. No fun Sad

I hope this helped.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting article from Expatica on the pros and cons of the German slopes, Winterberg in particular...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Went to Winterberg in early '72 while I was in the army.
Just borrowed a four tonner and piled some guys in, some with skis, others with toboggans. Can't say much about the lift system as we didn't use it, just clambered up the side and did some sledging. My first view of a ski slope or a ski jump.
Very surreal as we slept on the way to the resort (fully clothed on a mattress thrown in the back of an open truck, very cold), then lots of beer, then slept on the way back.
18 years later when I started skiing I wasn't even sure if the place existed and found out that it did from someone who had actually been there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SussexSnow - Skied the Harz many times but that was 30 years ago. I remember St Andreasberg and the fantastic Gasthausen. Sonnenberg was a small ski area and I remember there was a lot of biathalon. There was a ski jump on one of the slopes that was cut off by the East German border going through.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One way to jump the border, though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith wrote:
One way to jump the border, though.

Unfortunately that would be in the wrong direction i.e ski jump on Western side with the DDR border below. Toofy Grin . I think it was near to the summit of the Wurmberg at Braunlage as mentioned by Rizzo earlier. At the time I visited (1987) the ski jump structure was in disrepair. There was a DDR border guard tower from which we capitalists were presumably being observed. rolling eyes I wonder whether the ski jump is now back in use after German re-unification?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A month on, and it suddenly occurred to me to mention this book:

The only edition I have is the 1993, but even then this was the most comprehensive guide to ski resorts I've ever seen. It now has a CD Rom to go with it. It's published by ADAC, which is the German national auto club.

If you're interested in obscure German resorts, or ski resorts in general, it's very thorough indeed.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith, I wonder does the new one include the indoor slopes, such as at Neuss, which isn't in America, so I think it's the biggest pile of poo in the universe, which revolves around me, and I'm used to having poo following me around, particularly in some areas which have a bit of depth.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ise wrote:
Is it so far to Massif Central? I used to live down that way

I remember you referred to one of the resorts as being "like scottish skiing" :-).

The PisteHors article was picked up by the French ski press and since then the place has been invaded by freeriders, just to warn anyone. Sorry.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SussexSnow wrote:
Key clue is the distance from London. La Bresse was the big discovery last year. Decent vert, enough lifts and chair to keep boarders happy, trees and open spaces and weekendable from London. More so than Scotland (said as a Scot)

Funnily enough I was just reading your article again yesterday afternoon.

http://www.snowgo.com/archives/2004/03/02/vosges_report.php

It is a pretty extensive resort and could certainly keep you busy for a long weekend. Especially as there are lots of little places to go to around and about.

As Ian says I've done a few of the German resorts. The south is not too bad: Sudelfeld, Lengries, Tegernsee, Reit Im Winkl. You have the cuckoo clock charm but - and I appreciate it is the German's country to do with as I wish - nothing makes up for the exceptional rudeness and general shoddy service of German restauranteurs and shopkeepers.

Over in the Black Forest I've skied Haldenkopf - 120 vertical meters. Feldberg is pretty big. They only really have snow in and around February though except for a few flurries here and there. Here is some info on Haldenkopf:

http://www.pistehors.com/articles/haldenkopfle.htm
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:
ise wrote:
Is it so far to Massif Central? I used to live down that way

I remember you referred to one of the resorts as being "like scottish skiing" Happy.

It's the wooden fences Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy