Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UK snow: Wales 2011-2012

Poster: A snowHead
There's certainly been plenty of precipitation in the Beacons over the last couple of days; I'm at 1000ft altitude at the Eastern end, where it's tended to be sleety rain. I can see that there's a covering of sorts above 1300ft on Mynydd Llangatwg; anyone know how the higher mountains are looking?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry behind in posting pics and info.

Hoping to make the first turns of the season in the Brecon Beacons this morning.

Was up there yesterday.

Good coverage above 600m. All the best snow has been blown in to Cwm Llwch (the bowl between Corn Du and Pen-y-Fan) and Cwm Sere (the glacial cirque betwen Pen-y-Fan and Cribyn).

Will hopefully get up to date with it all by tonight.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mike Pow, Good luck ! They are forecasting snow to low levels here so fingers crossed for the weekend.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Be prepared, be very prepared:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-16202758
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
TUESDAY 06 DECEMBER 2011

A return to the Brecon Beacons. This time solo.

A little more snow had fallen overnight, but the wind was gusting to "don't stand too close to the edge" intensity at daybreak.

Walked to the top of Cribyn to get a look at the NE Face of Pen-y-Fan. Going to take a lot of snow and some serious wind loading to make this skiable this winter.

The path to the summit of Cribyn

The cairn on the summit of Cribyn with the NW face of Fan y Big

The NE Face of Pen-y-Fan from Cribyn

Then I followed the course of the Blaen Taf Fechan river to the Upper Neuadd Reservoir. The low winter sunshine hitting the grass gave it a prairie feel.

Blaen Taf Fechan river course

The river was dammed by Taf Fechan water Board (now Dwr Cymru Welsh Water) and the reservoir opened in 1902. It provides drinking water for Merthyr Tydfil.

Upper Neuadd Reservoir

Corn Du and Pen-y-Fan from Upper Neuadd Reservoir

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
Mike Pow, Good luck ! They are forecasting snow to low levels here so fingers crossed for the weekend.

The Brecon Beacons is the new Whistler.

+ 4 C and raining at the base, freezing level half-way up the mountain, and snow up high.

Unfortunately there's no gondola to whisk me up to the snow, and I don't do boot packing in the rain.

Bloody Gulf Stream done for me again Sad

Let's hope Derek's on the money for tonight and tomorrow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/walesnature/2011/12/first_proper_snow_of_the_winte.html
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
North Wales today. Snowed in fro work as cant get up the hill. Was tempted to get the sledge out...

http://youtube.com/v/vmof20zd8DI
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jon Ford, Where abouts are you ?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i can see a lot more snow at the top of the drive than the bottom, thats altitude for you! wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16215181

Not looking too bad!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
from the look of the radar and tomorrows forecast, Moel sych might have a good covering by tomorrow afternoon/sunday
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/wl/wl_forecast_weather.html
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It is on ladies and gentlemen.

Got as far as Bwlch Duwynt. Blowing a gale, zero visibility, drifts up to 1m in places.

Clicked in and skied back to the bridge at the Toilets Car Park.

Good coverage on Cefn Crew and some lovely turns in powder and packed powder.

Snowing when I left.

Get here tomorrow and/or Sunday before the warm up and rain on Monday.

Stories and pics to follow.

Start packing Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So, Mike, why didn't you get on the telly and plug Snowheads eh?

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I managed a few turns on our local hill but it was thin. Might have a photo to follow.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
agw wrote:
So, Mike, why didn't you get on the telly and plug Snowheads eh?

I was skiing on the other side of the road, the Pen-y-Fan side, and BBC Wales didn't want to walk more than 50m from their van to where the snow started. Hence their report from opposite the Storey Arms.
ski holidays
Very tempting. It's at least a couple of hours away for me so will decide later on.

If I come down I'll try and be at the car part for 11ish, and walk up towards Pen-y-Fan. Will be on Silver 1080's / touring bindings and brown jacket. Will probably have a White Welsh mountain dog with me wink
snow report
Any recommendations for North Wales? I'm heading up there Monday.
latest report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
Very tempting. It's at least a couple of hours away for me so will decide later on.

If I come down I'll try and be at the car part for 11ish, and walk up towards Pen-y-Fan. Will be on Silver 1080's / touring bindings and brown jacket. Will probably have a White Welsh mountain dog with me wink

Will look out for you.

Green jacket, red helmet.
snow report
I wish I'd sorted out some touring bindings on my new skis by now.. oh well, will hopefully be up there on Sunday walking up!
Looking forward to the photos Mike Cool
snow report
Mike Pow, those photos are breathtaking... snowHead
snow conditions
Thanks all.

Will look out for you on Sunday ArseCaptain.
snow report
WEDNESDAY 14 DECEMBER 2011

Last week's dusting had been washed away by several days of heavy rain, but a cold front moved through on Tuesday evening bringing new snowfall.

Not enough to ski but worth a walk up and down to see how much had fallen.

Brecon Beacons marker on the path up to Corn Du and Pen-y-Fan

The view of the start of the trail and Fan Fawr on the opposite side of the A470 from the path up to Corn Du and Pen-y-Fan

The path to the summit plateau of Corn Du

Corn Du in the mist and cloud

The weather can change in minutes in the Brecon Beacons. These views of Llyn Cwm Llwch - the glacial lake - below Corn Du were taken 10 mins apart

The slope below Pen-y-Fan into Cwm Llwch

And 10 minutes later it started to sock back in. But cribyn was starting to fill in nicely.

Cribyn from Pen-y-Fan

THURSDAY 15 DECEMBER 2011

The Brecon Beacons is the new Whistler.

+ 4 C and raining at the base, freezing level half-way up the mountain, and snow up high.

Unfortunately there's no gondola to whisk me up to the snow, and I don't do boot packing in the rain.

Bloody Gulf Stream done for me again.

Let's hope Derek's on the money for tonight and tomorrow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/walesnature/2011/12/first_proper_snow_of_the_winte.html
snow conditions
Mike Pow, inspiring photography.

Another dose of hiraeth for us exiles.
ski holidays
Mike Pow, Game on, see you up there, but won't have the dog Sad
snow report
Mike Pow, Good to meet you today and make the pilgrimage to the Breacons. Shame the weather forecast didn't play out !
ski holidays
Likewise AndAnotherThing.

Great to make turns even if we couldn't see much.

Pics to follow.
snow report
Anyone heading up tomorrow,Have got the ski's out of the loft and scrapped the storage wax off Very Happy Toying with the idea of heading over for spot of skinning .

Regards Mark
latest report
Me and a couple of friends are heading over early tomorrow, providing tonight's pub trip doesn't get out of hand. Hoping Mike can post some photos that make it look worth the trip!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ArseCaptain

^^ Looking back towards the car park at around lunch time from maybe the 550m level.
snow conditions

^^ Friday afternoon looked promising on our local hill. I headed up at about 3pm with heavy snow falling in the car park. The cover was pretty good but hadn't been pisted down by the walkers. It was still good for a slide on the grassy sections but we needed more to cover the rocks. Saturday brought rain so it looks like a wait now until next time.
ski holidays
An interesting day was had on Sunday with the forecast being for early cloud to clear leaving a bright and clear day untill mid afternoon but being cold with a stiff breeze at altitude.

Skinned up Pen y Fan around 9ish to be met with total whiteout at times and near gale force winds at the saddle so as alone turned back,Maybe over the back would have been loaded ?.Met a few of you I guess as I skied back down.Looked far more promising on Fan Fawr so Skinned up the walking path to the summit cairn.Again near whiteout conditions at times with huge cornice running all the way along the east facing ridge which prevented any access to the loaded slopes below.Doubt I would have gone in alone anyway even if there was access had no rope with me and looked very dangerous .Skied back down the walking path before traversing up to the start of the cornice and found some deep soft powder to enjoy a few times.
Then met one of the mountain rescue guys from the area who spoke of fatality day before in north Wales through cornice collapse.

Good fun though all in all Very Happy

Regards Mark
latest report
Some stunning pics there Mike Pow Very Happy
latest report
Red jacket Topsmoke (Mark)? If so pleasure chatting with you yesterday. And thanks for the update on Fan Fawr.

Thanks Shoogly.

Playing catch up. 3 days worth of pics and words to follow today. Hopefully.
snow report
Yes was me Mike,Good to talk to you and look forward to reading of your day in due course.There will be some spectaclar slides to photo when the cornice on Fan Fawr does break.I estimate not knowing how far the edge is from the cairn it must be 10 foot overhang in places and run two hundred metre's in length.

Regards Mark
snow conditions
FRIDAY 16 DECEMBER 2011

Many didn't get the snow forecast by Derek, but as I drove up the A470 from Cardiff the new snowfall started getting deeper and deeper.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/walesnature/2011/12/snow_disappointing.html

Welcome to the Brecon Beacons

There was a good 5cm settled in the Toilets car park. More had come down overnight as evidenced by the laden conifers lining the car park, and the slopes of Cefn Crew looked to have a good coverage.

Toilets car park with the slopes of Cefn Crew in the background

Met up with Chris from the Goneboarding forum who had joined me for bithday turns (mine, not his) and first turns of the Winter in the Beacons last November.

Your adventure starts here Chris

And so does mine

Chris on the bridge at the start of the trail. The slopes of Cefn Crew behind him. That's the best the weather would be all day.

Yours truly ready to make the first turns of the season. Happy Days.

How cold and windy was it Chris?

Me back at the bridge

The visibility was poor to very poor but the snow was very good. Powder and wind buffeted packed powder right back to the bridge. And it was snowing as we got back to the car park.

Fabulous to be making turns again in the Brecon Beacons National Park.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 19-12-11 20:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
FRIDAY 16 DECEMBER 2011

continued

Chris headed back home, and I took a drive around to Brecon to see if I could see how much snow had fallen in Cwm Llwch (the bowl between Pen-y-Fan and Corn Du). I couldn't.

Pulled in to the Storey Arms car park for a cuppa and saw Colette Hume of BBC Wales News interviewing Alwyn (skier) and Scott (boarder).

Scott and Alwyn then proceeded to make a little jump to jib off for the millions watching at home

And Alwyn also made Page 7 of The Sun

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4004725/Britain-on-white-alert-as-big-freeze-follows-snow.html

Scott shaping

Alwyn spinning and crossing on the lower slope of Fan Fawr. Storey Arms car park in the near distance and the Cefn Crew ridgeline in the far distance

The session completed and a great end to Alwyn's first day skiing in the Brecon Beacons. Considering the size of the kicker (tiny) the air and rotation Alwyn got was mightily impressive.

snow conditions
Just goes to show that with the right talent you can have a good day what ever the conditions! Great report!
snow report
Cheers russ_e.

Alwyn's got the chops that's for sure.
ski holidays
SATURDAY 17 DECEMBER 2011

Groundhog Day in the Brecon Beacons.

Snowing and blowing and very little visibility.

Got to the summit of Pen-y-Fan today and then walked back down to the saddle between Pen-y-Fan and Corn Du and waited for an hour hoping for the mist to lift and the sun to shine through.

Not today unfortunately.

But whilst I was waiting I did see this guy and his dogs loving their walk in the snow.

Skied back to the bridge on powder and packed powder from 5cm to 25cm deep and met up with AndAnotherThing from the Snowheads forum.

Hiked back up for another run. It was blowing and snowing hence the one pic prior to skiing.

AndAnotherThing getting ready to make his first turns in the Brecon Beacons

And run completed the more difficult task for AndAnotherThing of getting the skis back in the car

A quick cup of coffee at The Storey Arms van watching a snowboarder using a kite take far too many face plant slams, and then AndAnotherThing was on the road back to Shropshire.

Another great day in the Brecon Beacons skiing and hanging out with like minded skiers.
ski holidays
Mike Pow, Cheers ! Shame the weather wasn't playing ball but will have to get back for a slide in the sunshine Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy