Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do You Think These Are Worth A Punt?

Poster: A snowHead
I've been keeping my eyes open for a pair of planks to use at Xscape if I ever manage to link up with the Lions Ski Club.

I've heard possitive comments about some S*l*m*n slalom models an wondered if these on ebay could fit the bill.

Anyone know anything about them?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No mention of the length, or whether they come with bindings, also no mention of damage to them, or if that is the actual model he's selling (it looks like a photo he's taken off a shop website)

Find out what year they are, what bindings he's doing them with, and the state of the edges/bases.

With good bindings (e.g. S912ti), a pre-2002 pair are worth around the £180 mark. If they are 2002 or more recent, they aren't worth more than about £150 inc bindings.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
(sorry, going blind, the title says they are 165cm, so you just need to find out about the bindings)

If he is selling them without bindings, don't bid - to put a decent new binding on them will cost you £140 + mounting.

Oh, and yes, I used to have a pair of 3Vs.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

sorry, going blind,

That will be other effect of the demon drink. These skis look too good to be true. Fox, what binding are you suggesting for £140-seems expensive. Where's ise, he normally has a view on S*l*m*ns?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowbunny, the best ski they've made over recent years I thought (which makes some of their other rubbish all the more dissapointing).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowbunny, if you're buying race skis, get good bindings - just done a search, and you can pick up the S912ti for about £120.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marc gledhill, Wear The Fox Hat,
See what I mean
ise,
Quote:

snowbunny, the best ski they've made over recent years I thought (which makes some of their other rubbish all the more dissapointing).

Fox, race skis, but not at race speeds-just a thought about the planned usage.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowbunny, I agree with what ise said.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat, Fine, so do I FWIW Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Find out what year they are, what bindings he's doing them with, and the state of the edges/bases.

I'm on it, cheers snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowbunny, Wear The Fox Hat, I always agree with ise, he's a big begger Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marc gledhill,

I've just bought some of those! Tested them a couple of seasons ago and they were great. SO excited...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1, where did you find them?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
um, BASI deal, half price...sorry! wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marc gledhill,
Quote:

I always agree with ise, he's a big begger

Quite Laughing
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, My earlier "usage" post failed to make it clear that I was on about the bindings, ie are race quality bindings necessary in this situation.
marc gledhill, I usually find it appropriate to challenge ise on his posts, I really don't care how big he is. On this occasion you found a pair of Salomon's that he rates highly, (bet he's gone for a lie down) Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 27-07-05 18:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
beanie1, what year are yours?
snow report
(oh, and don't race them on a dry slope, the core will break down very quickly with the heat.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat,

05/06 - so I'm hoping they haven't changed too much.
latest report
snowbunny, I'd put good bindings on them, for a couple of reasons...
1. The ski comes with a pre-drilled plate which will only take certain Salomon Bindings
2. If you are planning to sell them on, the next buyer will expect a good binding on them, and not just an S810.
snow report
beanie1, since the 2002 model, they have remained fairly similar, just got a bit softer each year, uness you get the lab ones.

And, as I said earlier... Don't take them racing on a dry slope!
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat,

Thanks for the advice! And I have no intention to torture my nice new skis on a dry slope.

Mine are coming with the S912 FIS 20 binding which is designed for light and female racers, DIN of 4 - 12.
snow report
beanie1, S912FIS is a very good binding. (would do many male racers too)
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, I seem to have lost a post somewhere, so I'll try again. The bindings, good justifications for going expensive ...pre-drilling and potential resale value Smile
snow report
snowbunny, yep, that;s pretty much it.

(also, should you decide to go racing on the skis, you can crank them up)
snow conditions
Well they went for around £140, but I don't think they had bindings, although the seller never came back to me to confirm.

As you can get brand spankers, with bindings, online for £399 that seemed a little steep to me.

I've also found new skis with bindings that look better value,

Rossi 9S Oversize £270

and a rung or two down

Dynastar Omecarve 10 £275
Volkl P60 Slalom Carver £284

As usual, too much choice. Puzzled
snow conditions
marc gledhill, Well I'm sure that a snowHead or 3 will offer ideas! Too much choice-bummer Could you follow Wear The Fox Hat,or ise, and have 'n' pairs Laughing
snow report
9S or P60.

I'd go for the 9S
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc gledhill, I'm not sure you have that right, I've not skied the P60 but I've skied some Omecarves and 9s's, the omecarve I thought were brutal compared to the 9s. Both excellent, but the 9s was a more allround ski than the omecarves.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, ise, cheers again, it could well be the Rossi's then.

ise, I was using the descriptions given to them by the retailer.

"The 9S oversize is a slalom ski par excellence ideal for advanced/expert skiers and racers to make the most agressive short turns. Grip is unshakeable and the level of rebound as you exit the turn is amazing. These slalom heavyweights are truly amazing if you have the legs for it."

Then

"The Dynastar Omecarve 10 is a direct descendant of the fantastic Omeglass race slalom ski. It carries all the grip level and amazing short turn abilities of the racing product but with reduced levels of effort needed and a much more forgiving character.

This ski will be a great weapon for upper intermediate to advanced skiers........."

and,

"Lovely piece of kit for fairly aggressive on piste skiing. It's a softer option than the bigger brother the SC Racing. If you like to lay down some real tight lines on the groomers then this is an ideal ride for you." (Volkl P60 Slalom Carver)

Yeah, I know I should demo but I've no chance.
snow report
marc gledhill,
Quote:

Yeah, I know I should demo but I've no chance.

Don't do it, there must be a pair somewhere that you could try in a snozone first!
ski holidays
marc gledhill wrote:

"The Dynastar Omecarve 10 is a direct descendant of the fantastic Omeglass race slalom ski. It carries all the grip level and amazing short turn abilities of the racing product but with reduced levels of effort needed and a much more forgiving character.

sounds about right until the "but" Very Happy On hard pack I thought it was exceptional, loads of grip at speed and short radius turns, but just brutal in variable terrain, hard to keep the speed down and very hard to flex at low speed. Nothing like as good as my Stöcklis really.
ski holidays
ise,
Quote:

Nothing like as good as my Stöcklis really.

Nothing will ever come close-for you anyway wink
Each to their own Very Happy
latest report
marc gledhill, If you're under 160lbs you may wish to look at the Omecarve 9. Superb fun, very versatile. I liked the Ome 10 but the difference is only in the plate and I'm not the lightweight I was once.
ski holidays
comprex, if I were under 160lbs I'd change my name to Marcey Laughing I'm usually between 180 and 190.
snow report
marc gledhill,

Remember when a ski manufacturer is "describing" their ski they are trying to aim it at the widest audience they can get away with... If they just said "great for experts and racers" they wouldn't have much of a market!!
snow report
comprex wrote:
marc gledhill, If you're under 160lbs you may wish to look at the Omecarve 9. Superb fun, very versatile. I liked the Ome 10 but the difference is only in the plate and I'm not the lightweight I was once.

I've not tried them, if they retain some of high speed stability and grip of the 10 then they'll be a great ski though.
latest report
ise, How would you compare the Ome 10 to the Volkl 5* ( durability aside ) ?
snow report
5*'s are a better ski for all round use, more of skier cross ski than the ome's. what do want them for? what's up with the B2's?
latest report
I was just looking at the prices Marc was quoting and wondering about buying myself something a little more SL oriented for hard and icy days, also something which would force me into improving technique.
I used the 5* as a reference as that's been my general ski for the last few years.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 30-07-05 16:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy