Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What makes a good helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
Having been crashed into on various occasions, with varying degrees of sense banged into my head. I have bitten the bullet and decided to buy a helmet. What should I look for to ensure I am buying something that will protect me and not just look good. Are they rated in anyway?
Cheers snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do you know that's actually a very good question, I have no idea of the answer but it would be nice to know.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, there is a long, long debate on this site about helmets. Having bashed my head into concussion in January (can still feel the ridge on my skull) I decided to get one.

Have just bought one from a company called Beans (www.beansonline.co.uk). The Snowheads helmet thread recommended the Giro 9.9. It is very, very light, with lots of vents and removable ear covers and I can confirm very comfortable. On doing some research (on www.skihelmets.com) it comes out 4.8 out of 5. Beans were the cheapest (£79.99 free p&p) and very helpful.

Putting it to the test this weekend in Morzine. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Beverley, take out the ) for the link www.skihelmets.com .... excellent site by the way.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Beverley - I will await the review have a good trip!! Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Beverley we only want a review of its comfort, please don't feel the need to become involved in an accident just for us Confused
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is not my intention to go head-butting trees in the name of research Little Angel
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good good glad to here it, Have fun Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bladeski, www.skihelmets.com an excellent site, but I have a Dainese Freeride (silver) and the site does not feature these helmets. Dainese (http://www.dainese.com) also make body armour and motorbike helmets. I find my helmet excellent. Often forget it is there. Very usefeul getting on to chairs and into gondolas as I always seem to be banging my head (also useful going through the trees).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bladeski, one with headphones built into it Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Circumcision Exclamation
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mark Hunter, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mark Hunter, For going through trees? Circumnavigation might be more effective Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not a single review of Marker helmets on that site. Weird, that... But, this is the first year that Marker has offered a helmet.

I have a new Marker M3 that I bought directly from Marker (as an instructor) together with their Infinity goggle. I found the M3 to be the most "not there" helmet I tried, and together with the goggles and a balaclava, I find that I can wear it in weather from below zero (F) to warm Colorado days.

During my exams at Breck, people kept lowering the "safety" bar onto my head. Fortunately, they just clunked the helmet. I can hear people talk, my ears stay warm, and I don't overheat (which is usually my biggest problem).

I highly recommend the M3 to everyone.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PG, good point! Laughing
snow report
The US equivalent of Which? tested ski helmets (I seem to remember that someone on the SCGB posted the link some time ago): both the Giro fuse and 9.9 came top with 2 other helmets failing the tests. I bought the Fuse on a recent trip to Aspen and am very happy with it. I bought it mainly for the tree skiing out there and to protect my head from the branches. I read somewhere that for speeds over 15mph helmets will not make much of a difference. the weak link remains the neck. check out www.ski-injury.com

on my fuse i like the adjustable vents, removable ear flaps and the removable/washable liner. make sure you have enough room for a thin beanie or similar on very cold days.
snow report
ssh, my brand new goggles got scratched the day after i bought them when someone lowered the safety bar (but not too badly). better the lens than my eye!

as i am quite tall, wearing a helmet now means that it makes usually fairly quick contact with the safety bars.
snow conditions
Half a watermelon, carved into a comedy shape. Wink
latest report
snowman, I don't think of myself as tall, but at 6' I seem taller than most on the chair with me! Of course, the helmet makes me "taller"!

Bummer about the scratch. Hopefully, out of the way of the line of sight... Sad
snow report
Kramer, Laughing
latest report
marc gledhill, the Giro 9.9 has headphones as an option.
snow conditions
You can buy them with the heaphones built in:
http://www.girohelmets.com/europe/sno_nine9_au.html

Or replace the earpieces:
http://www.girohelmets.com/europe/sno_accessories.html# (click on "TuneUps" - they're only $30)
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, nice to have you back. They're the puppies Exclamation Wink
snow report
Thanks, marc gledhill,
As for what makes a good helmet, the simple answer is "fit". There's no point in buying the top rated helmet if it doesn't fit your head properly.
ski holidays
of course fit is very important. but then again there is no point wearing the best fitting helmet if it failed some basic tests. btw both the giros have different fits, one is for round heads the other for oval, so there is a good chance that one of the two will fit well and you still get to ski in a top rated helmet. FYI I am not connected in any way to Giro:D
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy