Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have tried 3 pairs of skis this season with varying levels of satisfaction and now am trying to work out what might be the best ski for me.

I am a good intermediate, technically strong, decent style but lacking bottle! I ski on piste mainly, only really go off piste on the sides of a piste or to access somewhere e.g. to cross to another piste.

First up I had Salomon 10 Equipe 3Vs length 160 wow! I really enjoyed these skis (didn't know until I got home that they were an 'advanced' ski) they carved really well and encouraged me to experience some speed. Looking back I suppose they were a bit 'hard work' when I was struggling. They had fantastic edge grip but were useless, just sank, in fresh powder.

Next I had Scream 8 W (womens 155) these were dreadful. I was quite excited to try these after reading the reviews but I was disappointed. My skiing deteriorated, I thought I was having off days but then I swapped skis with my instructor for 5 mins and what a difference...my instructor's skis were Dynastar GS skis can't remember the model and were much longer (180 compared with the 155 Screams) yet I could turn them beautifully they were so smooth. The Screams just felt 'skiddy' hard to get them on edge, unresponsive, just felt like I was 'hacking' around in them. My instructor was quick to hand them back too! He really didn't like them at all, said they were too wide and advised me to change them and try a Volkl.

So then I got Volkl 724 Motion length 163. Much happier with these than the Screams, smoother, easier to turn and get on edge and generally very nice but not as precise as the 3Vs. I would happily go for these but just wonder if there might be a ski I like more.

So what I want is something in between the 3V and the 724 Motion. Something that will give me the buzz of the 3Vs when its all going well but will go easy on me when I mess up!

I am thinking of a Volkl Energy Motion or perhaps the womens Energy 420 Gamma. And re. length probably a 163 (I am approx. 170 tall)

Can anyone advise me please? Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Length sounds about right for you at 163cm but the best advice is to go try out more skis in this length, what works really well for one person is a complete disaster for someone else, if you're not doing any more skiing this season leave it till next season and try out the new skis when they come out
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You may want to check out www.epicski.com in there gear review section. The site is down right now, (that's why I'm here) but will be back up in an hour.

You should stay in the 163cm range of skis. IMO the 724 will take you further then the 420 Gamma Volkl makes the 724 AX3 Gamma I have the AX3 in 170cm and I'm 5'11" 195lbs. If you like to carve try the 4Star or 5Star if you'd like. I just demoed some www.ogasakaski.com skis last weekend and was impressed. There Unity EX was an amazing ski. You can buy them from the web site.

I have been a Volkl and Atomic fan for years but these Ogsasaka's were impressive.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sarah, this won't be much help, but I really like my 3Vs (178s) I use them purely on piste, they rip. Fast and hard. They do take a bit of getting used to, and for the first 5 peaks at the weekend, I found them a bit much - I've now got a very black and blue big toe on my left foot.
After I started to get used to them, they were great. Very fast and lots of fun.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all...am happier now about choosing the length. Max, will check out those sites.

I think I will go 'demoing' at Castleford soon!

WTFH thanks, that's exactly what I found with the 3Vs! Was thrilled with the speed and precision! But then was subsequently told they were 'too much' for me but maybe I'll just go with how I felt on them. Try a couple of others and the 3Vs again then make a decision.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sarah, why not stick with the Salomon 10 Equipe 3Vs? You really enjoyed them. Did you give them up coz you discovered they were "Race Slalom" skis or coz they were "useless in fresh powder"?
I know very little about skis, just know what I like (which is anything strapped to my feet with snow under it). But friends who fit your specification have been enjoying Atomic SX9s this season. Have fun.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonpim, I thought you were a "dark-sider". Have you seen the light?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Michael B, I swing both ways .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whatever floats your boat as they say.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy