Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts near Chambery and Berne

Poster: A snowHead
I have taken advantage of booking cheap flights for next January and I would like advice of resorts which are within a couple of hours of both airports. Our first trip (myself and partner) is for a long weekend flying into Chambery. I know that Courchevel is not far but having skied it many times I would like to try another resort. All ideas greatfully received.
For our second trip at the end of the month (Jan) we are going with our daughter (11) for the week. I have read with interest the many posts concerning Wengen and I am interested in going there. As Murren is slightly higher would we be better choosing a hotel there rather than Wengen or Grindlewald? We would like a hotel that gave good value and are not bothered by having a wild night life.
How easy is it to get to these resorts by train from Berne airport? We have all been skiing for about five years and are of an intermediate standard. We like to ski at least one black run during the week but we are at our happiest cruising blues and reds.
Many thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
josh.dynevor, for your end of Jan trip I'd vote for Wengen, snow will I hope be good at that time of year and you have imediate access to far more runs than Murren, if you were going in December or April I'd say Murren would be a better choice Shocked as it is likely to have better snow at the beginning and end of season. Lots of long reds and blues in the Wengen area.

I hope to find out just how easy the transfer by train from Berne is in December and will report back then but essentially you get a bus from the Airport to Belp station then a train to Thun, change there and get a train to Interlaken Ost change again for a train to Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald and at Lauterbrunnen change again for Murren or Wengen, if going to Murren there's one more change at the top of the funicular.

I might see if it's easier to get a taxi from the airport to Thun station or it's possible that someone may decide to run a bus service to meet up with the new Flybe flights into the airport, it will take about 2 hours by train to go from the airport to Lauterbrunnen and cost about £15 each way for adults (half that for under 16's) it would only be about 1 hour by road from the airport to Lauterbrunnen, i know because I've driven the route myself.

Depending on what sort of standard you like in your hotel I'd suggest either the Bernerhof in Wengen (cheap and fairly basic but the foods supposed to be ok) or my favorite, the Alpenrose which according to the price list I got this morning 7 nights accomodation with a 6 day ski pass would cost from 1163 CHF per adult half board for the week beginning 28th or 29th of Jan, the Bernerhof would work out from about 981 CHF including a ski pass, the Alpenrose is a 5 minute walk from the middle of the village, the Bernerhof is on the high street.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
josh.dynevor, 2 hours from Chambery by stopping train gets you to Bourg St Maurice for any part of Les Arcs and the fare is ridiculously cheap. Or get off earlier at Aime for La Plagne (taxi up the hill) or Moutiers for 3V. Moutiers is a major T.O. interchange place (at the station car park) so if the timing was right you might be able to bum a lift on a T.O. transfer for a 'sweetner' to the transfer rep.
Les Arcs or La Plagne will give you lots of blue and red cruising and are high so reasonably snow sure for early season.

Traffic and road conditions permitting (jams are possible at weekends on the main roads) you could probably do all of these by car from Chambery within the 2 hour time frame. La Rosiere might be possible too.

If you use the train, take a taxi from Chambery airport to the Gare in the centre of town. 5 minutes ride only and less than 20 Euros.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why limit yourself to the Jungfrau? I live near Bern and only ski round at the Jungfrau three or four times a season, whatever the charms of the Jungfrau it's not the only skiing near Bern by a long, long way.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
josh.dynevor, have a look at J2Daves site here 'cos he's done the job for you snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've stayed at the Bernerhof. Basic, comfortable, good food & if you have a room at the front, great views!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
josh.dynevor, I would disagree withD G Orf (sorry David Laughing )about selecting Wengen instead of Murren. Murren has a much better snow record than Wengen and you can always ski back to the village(if you are a member of SCGB look at snow stats on both resorts).I can recommend the Hotel Jungfrau & Lodge,a good price,excellent food and friendly staff plus you can ski to and from the hotel. The nightlife is quite and most people stay in the hotel restaurant/bar or they visit other hotels for dinner. It is child friendly with no cars in the resort and the Jungfrau hotel has the nursey slope right outside.In Murren there is enough runs to keep you busy including 3 black runs.Plenty for a week skiing and if not you can pop across to low down Wengen.

The other option (which i wouldnt suggest) is stay in Lauterbrunnen and have the choice of both resorts (from Murren you can ski down to Lauterbrunnen,snow permitting)

Any questions on Murren....just post snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Brookes, Murren may have deeper snow but at the end of January it won't normally make any difference to the skiability of either area, I did say that going at the beginning or end of season Murren would be a better bet, however Murren only has easy access to 53km of pistes wheras Wengen and Grindelwald have easy access to almost 160km of pistes, total pistes for the area being 210km
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
D G Orf, lol ..

I agree with Wengen/Grindelwald having a larger area to ski in ...but... I still think Murren at the end of January has a better snow record which means a better ski experience in Murren compared to W&G. This year at the end of Jan you could ski down to Lauterbunnen !!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
josh.dynevor, for your weekend trip try Les Deux Alpes. About 1½ hours from Chambery by road, 220 kms of piste and very high ski-ing - nearly all above 1650m and right up to 3,600. Lots of challenging ski-ing if that's what you like and some nice easy cruising for those of that mind. Stupendous views of course go without saying. If you want more info PM me or check out www.easiski.com for lots of resort info.

for the end of Jan trip DEFINITELY try Wengen - great ski-ing and truly different to any other resort. Murren is prettier, but as D G Orf, says the ski-ing is quite limited without going down to lauterbrunnen and back up the other side. Also the Wengen views are the best in the Alps. Ski-ing on the Laurberhorn and watching the North face of the Eiger is quite the most dramatic scenery you'll ever see (unless you're going to the Himalayas).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
josh.dynevor, click on link to view in detail Murren's ski area : http://www.schilthorn.ch/index.php?uid=20 .
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris Brookes, So, you could ski down to Grund and Wengen as well, be honest not that many people ski down to Lauterbrunnen other than to say they've done it as it's not exactly the most thrilling route in the world, even if it is one of the longest !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
D G Orf, hmmmmm....ok.. I would have to be honest (as always) and agree with you re the Lauterbrunnen run but if you are staying down in the valley it saves the train/funicular ride.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Brookes, yes but I'm sure we both agree that no sensible person would want to stay down there when they could stay in ether Wengen or Murren Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
D G Orf, I totally agree but we might get Elizabeth B on this thread saying otherwise .. snowHead
snow conditions
Chris Brookes, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
D G Orf, Chris Brookes, Out of curiosity, have you both done the run down beside the funicular to Lauterbrunnen? I have but I was only a sprog, and mostly remember jumping the walls in the fields just above Lauterbrunnen. Is there a piste nowadays? We made our way down in between the trees with that great old guide Freddy Fuchs.....
ski holidays
easiski, yep it's pisted now when there's enough snow, but have you ever skied from Wengen down, I know my father did and several of my ski teacher friends have done so on many occasions
snow report
easiski, Yup,they piste the road now and have included a couple of snow cannons when you reach the field near the bottom.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
easiski, I disagree. imo, the Matterhorn trumps the Eiger !
ski holidays
Snowheads is amazing. Many thanks for all replies above. It is going to take a while to digest and work out what I should do. I am spoilt for choice. This confirms the fact that nobody should ever use a TO again.
ski holidays
brian, Yes even I'd have to agree with that, but it's a pain in the neck to get there from Berne airport, it normally takes about 4 hours 20 mins to get to Zermatt from Belp (Berne Airport) although it is possible to do it in 3 hours 38 mins if you can catch a Glacier Express. This compares to about 2 hours to Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald or about 20 mins longer for Wenge or Murren
snow report
Josh,
You don't give your January dates, but be aware that the World Cup circus will be in Wengen 11-15 January. This may affect accommodation availability, but is a great experience! Little Angel
ski holidays
Kenzie, good point !
latest report
Kenzie, true but he does say the end of the month rather than the middle Laughing
snow conditions
Chris Brookes wrote:
D G Orf, I totally agree but we might get Elizabeth B on this thread saying otherwise .. snowHead

DG Orf did say "sensible person" wink
snow report
Elizabeth B, wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Elizabeth B, I knew it wouldnt be long !! No positive comments about Lauterbrunnen then Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For the trip via Chambery everyone seems to have forgotten what I thought was the resort nearest to Chambery - Valmorel. Not everyones' choice for a week but plenty of skiing for a weekend and does have some pretty good off-piste (not skied out as quickly as neighbouring resorts). A very pleasant resort, if a bit twee.
ski holidays
Danone and Müller are near Chambéry.
snow conditions
Mmmm......Danone
ski holidays
Lead a muller life...... snowHead snowHead
latest report
Chris Brookes, okay then.

Lauterbrunnen is better because,

You can drive there.
You have easier access to the whole of the Jungfrau area (including First)
It's cheaper
You get on the train to KS before the rush, therefore guaranteeing yourself a seat
You get to look at a nice waterfall from the bottom of it.
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, ah but let's look at the down side Twisted Evil

It's at the bottom of a valley so it's in the shade for most of the day
It's noisier than Wengen or Murren due to that road and that waterfall Laughing
To have any fun you have to leave the village
You can only ski back from Murren and even that is probably only possible for 50% of the season
You do indeed get the train to Kleine Scheidegg or Murren before the rush but you have and extra 15 or 20 mins journey each day
It takes you a lot longer to go from Lauterbrunnen to Grindelwald by train than it does for me to catch the Cablecar from Wengen to Mannlichen and ski down to Grindelwald/Grund
It's cheaper but not by much (in fact for me it's not cheaper but that doesn't count ) Laughing
snow report
D G Orf

I wouldn't know about shade in the valley during the day...I'm too busy being up on the mountain.
There's less noise than in Wengen.....I can assure you!
Are you saying that going for a walk along the river isn't fun?

It might take longer on the train, but when you drive round and park at First, it's a lot quicker than skiing down to Brandegg or the gondola middlestation (because that's where the snow runs out) and then using public transport to First.
It's a lot cheaper for me.
snow report
Elizabeth B, Ah that's what you get for going in March, in February last year I could ski all the way down with no problems wink
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, The walk from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen along the river bank is amazing specially getting up close to Staubbach falls.

What puts me off Lauterbunnen is the hassle of getting transport either to Murren or Wengen when you just want to ski.I also personally feel that i want to be up in the mountains when on holiday instead of being based in the valley.When in Murren i get up every day nice and early and stroll down to the Coop(normally waiting outside for them to open) to get fresh cooked crossiants etc so that we have had a hearty breakfast in the morning. That troll in the morning is part of my holiday,the fresh air,hardly any sound(no cars,just birds) and the fantatsic views.....and all that before i go skiing.... snowHead

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 28-07-05 13:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
D G Orf, I usually go in Jan and more often than not can't ski all the way down. Mind you, Brandegg is usually far enough down!!
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, with the new cablecar upto Grutschalp next year it might cut the time you have to wait in the future but even so !!
snow report
Elizabeth B, you only need to get to Aspen (just a little lower than Brandegg) then catch the Bus to First
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy