Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone been to Plumpjack Inn / Squaw Valley

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there.

Post a message some time back about Skiing in Lake Tahoe. Most replies seem to be positive with the general outcome being that Squaw Valley is one of the better places to Ski.

I also like the idea of staying in Squaw (compared to South Tahoe which I have heard bad things about). Anyway, am considering Plumpjack Inn. Anyone been there? Is it worth the money?

Anyone else have any other recommendations for nice places to stay in that area? Ideally want it to be virtually ski in / out though !
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rooney, I've stayed at the Squaw Valley Lodge which is right next to the lifts, in an enormous self-catering family suite.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I didn't stop in the Plumpjack as like laundryman, we were in the squaw valley lodge which is great, and I think it was cheaper then the plumpjack.
But we did eat in the plumpjack several times we were there and food and atmosphere was great in both the resturant and the bar.

The slopes and the village is just across the road so great, but then anywhere in the village is very well located, apart from the resort at squaw whichis further down the valley.

You will love Squaw and can easily do day trips to some of the other local ski resorts. (recommend Northstar if it is stormy as almost all skiing in the trees) Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your replies.

What is Squaw village like? I have heard that it is fairly small? Want somewhere that gives me an option of walking to a different restuarant for dinner on a couple of nights (instead of hotel). Is that possible ?

I looked at the Lodge....is it all self catering?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rooney, the "village" is a bit limited. If you stay in Tahoe City you'll have a pleasant town to stroll around with plenty of of food and drink options. You would be within in easy reach of a few resorts, including Squaw. Or you could stay at Squaw and take a trip out in the evening.

I think the Lodge is all self-catering. I think they're all "condominiums" with separate owners who hire out via the central organization, so you'd expect them to be self-catering. At any event, we didn't specifically request self-catering, but that's what we got. A good thing really, because it's impossible for someone brought up to clear their plate not to massively over-indulge eating consistently in US restaurants!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rooney,
I was there this in March /April this year and there where several shops / resturants still to open in the near future I think but there is still sufficient there to keep you going

Plumpjack has a Resturant and Bar both do food

Balboa Cafe resturant and Bar with boith doing food

Serria Chop House

Pizza Place (can't remeber the name but was good)

Other places we didn't try

Red Dog

A Susui Resturant which is meant to be very good if you like susui

There are a series of other places where you can pick up a light snack etc.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rooney, acanno's more up to date than me!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very few places do anything other than self catering in the Tahoe area.

The sushi place is called Mama Sake, and is very good.
There is a new 'irish' pub which opened in May which does reasonable food.
The pizza place is called Fireside Pizza.
Red Dog was not open at all this last season - or if it was they kept it very quiet.
Chamois does food that goes well with large quanities of alcohol.
Balboa is OK, but almost too popular!
Sierra Bar and Grill has now got a liquor license.
Mother Barkley's is the best place for breakfast, and does a reasonable lunch.
Other places for lunch are Dave's Deli, the Olympic House, Wildflower Cafe. There's also a candy/ice cream place, and a waffle place in the lower part of the Olympic House. The General Store in the middle of the parking lot has been doing drinks and sandwhiches - handy if you are stuck at Papoose with kids!
If you have to eat lunch on the mountain do not eat at Goldcoast, but got to High Camp and get something either at Wildflower Too, or at Alexander's - not the Terrace. Alexander's does a decent dinner which is fun if you want to night ski, or just ride the cable car!
The Resort at Squaw Creek does decent food - on the terrace if it is a nice day - accessible on skis from the top of Red Dog chair, or by shuttle bus which I think runs in the evenings too. The resort has more than one resturant, but I'm not entirely sure what may be happening there since they are turning it into condominiums.
Bar One and the other "night club" in the Olympic House do snacks.
Headwall Cafe does snacks and sandwiches (it's where I get my breakfast when I'm working).
There's a sandwich/bistro place that does good food but it wasn't open for dinner last season. Starts with a 'T' but I've forgotten the name.
There's a bagel/smoothie'coffee place (good bagels) - can't remember what it's called.
There is a Starbucks, and a Ben and Jerry's was due to open this summer.
Plumpjack does has very good food, but is pricy, and across the parking lot at "Christys" there is an excellent restaurant called "Grahams" - requires reservations and is expensive, but worth it.
Last but not least, if you have a kitchen, you can get personal chef Dave "Smitty" Smith to cook you a fantastic meal. Which, IMO, is the best option, but then he's a good friend of mine! (It's not cheap).

Places to stay within walking distance of the lifts -
The Resort at Squaw Creek, which is the largest hotel in the valley (has restaurants, shops, swimming pool, ice rink, hot tubs and a shuttle bus to the Village) and is ski in/ ski out.
The other true ski in/out is Squaw Valley Lodge - all rooms are condo type with kitchenettes. Has covered parking.
The Village at Squaw Valley is condo type suites built above the shops and restaurants of the Village. They are very nice - the bathrooms have heated floors! Has underground parking and hot tubs, and ski lockers.
I don't know what the rooms at Plumpjack are like, but I do know that it does have a hot tub, and a heated swimming pool.
Red Dog Inn could be ski in/out - I don't know much about it.
The Olympic Inn is the original housing from the Olympic Games - it's across the employee parking lot but there is a shuttle bus.
Christys is nice, but usually booked up.
There are often appartments and houses for short term rentals available in the valley - try www.mytahoevacation.com

Any questions? Shocked Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
WOW - what a reply that is.

I'm guessing that you work there…or you just have a very good memory !

So….any questions. Not really - think that you have provided answers to everything that I need. But, always a but, as you seem to be so 'in the know' perhaps you could answer these…..

- I have read that Squaw uses a lift colouring system. So if the lift up is a red then all the runs down are red (but there is no piste map). Is that right and if so does it work well?
- Is Squaw only for extreme skiiers or would Intermediates be OK? Our group have all skiied lots before but range from Intermediate to Very good.
- Are there any must do things in Squaw / Tahoe? Ski Mobiling any good? Dog Sled rides worth trying? Any amazing views / runs that we should hit?

Thanks again for your reply (and everyone else for theirs). What a cool forum this is !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rooney, there's lots of terrain for intermediates. I'd say it's a bit limited for beginners (unusually, the main nursery area is up the mountain) but for your party I would reckon Squaw is just about ideal.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You will be fine at Squaw Valley as an intermediate, there is a lot for you to do. There is also a lot for the more adventurous skier but dont let that put you off. Like all ski areas in the Tahoe area it is limited in size (compared to Europe certainly) so you may want to factor in going to other areas on some days, which, in good weather will be an easy drive. Alpine Meadows is very close, Northstar a bit further away, Mount Rose (which has some new double black terrain and Heavenly, the furthest away but in good weather you would enjoy the drive as you would go round the Lake. You could also easily do Sugar Bowl. Any of those is worth a day visit. They maybe have less "bling" factor than Squaw Valley but you could have a good time at any of them. For this you absolutely need your own transport, unless things have changed since I was last there there is no public transport which would suit you.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rooney, I'm a part time ski instructor at Squaw! I skied 77 days there this last season.

Yes, the lift coluring system is used - the colours correspond with the main type of terrain found off the top of the lift, so a 'green' lift will access mainly beginner groomed runs, a 'blue' one mainly intermediate groomed runs, and 'black' mainly advanced groomed runs. Some 'black' lifts are designated advanced skiers only, which means that there is only advanced or expert (double-black) terrain accessible from the top (ie Headwall). It's not as confusing as it sounds, and there are signs at the top to let you know the hardest and easiest ways down. Check out the maps on the web site before you go.

Squaw is excellent for ALL levels of skier - there is plenty to go at, although runs are not as long as they are in Europe but during high snow times just about all of the mountain is skiable and open. As laundryman, said, the main beginner area is on the upper mountain, but is out of the way of most of the upper level runs (you only go near it if you are going to High Camp for lunch or a private lesson, or from the top of Silverado lift to the landbridge/gate 7 into Silverado). For intermediates, on the lower mountain there are the Resort runs, Champs Elysee, and Exhibition runs. Upper mountain intermediate runs are the Shirley Lake runs (1-5 and bowl), Solitude, Emigrant, Siberia and the Mountain Run. The top of Siberia can get a little tricky if there have been a lot of race kids down it, or it's later in the day, but there is an easier way down via the ridge line. Lower mountain main black runs are Red Dog, KT-22 saddle, and Women's Downhill. Upper mountain main blacks are Granite Chief High Voltage and Main, and Headwall face. If there isn't a closed sign, then the terrain can be skied - just stay inside ski area boundaries, and don't be stupid! Very Happy Squaw is known for it's extreme terrain - check out the book "Squallywood" by Robb Gaffney (ISBN 0-9726066-0-2).

Must do things to do - during the main part of the season you can ski from 8:30 am to 9pm, so I'm not sure if you'll have energy for anything else! There is dog sledding, and snow mobiling avaliable, but I've never had the time to go (too busy skiing!). Ice skating at night up at High Camp is a little different, but usually very cold! You'll manage to see the views without any help if the weather is clear, but professional photographers are avaliable at the top of Goldcoast chair, and at the top of the Resort run/Squaw Creek chair. There are two runs that I would say are must do for advanced skiers - the Women's Downhill, and KT-22 face.

When we get storms, Squaw is often the only resort left open, and then it is just the lower mountain - still plenty to ski to made a full day and all powder - although Alpine has been better at avalanche control/getting open this year than in some previous years. When it is clear but very windy Squaw sometimes puts the upper lifts on hold, but very rarely closes - if they do close then you could try Homewood, which is small but very sheltered (on the premise that some skiing is better than no skiing!).

Other resorts to visit - there are 12 ski resorts in the Tahoe area, but the roads are often closed between Tahoe City and the South Bay. The only reason I would ski at Heavenly is to ski both in Nevada and California in the same hour (IMO Squaw is better). Sierra-at-Tahoe is full of snow boarders, and gets very crowded. Kirkwood is worth a visit but takes about 3 hours from Squaw - the snow IS different there, and they usually get more. Homewood is small, but sheltered, and you have to watch out for bears. Diamond Peak is similar, but on the other side of the Bay. Mount Rose is worth going to for the chutes - but they are not always open, depending on the snow level. We call Northstar "Flatstar", but it has more tree skiing than Squaw. Boreal is called 'boring ridge", and has a high proportion of snow boarders AND is small. Sugar Bowl is not bad, but gets busy because it is the nearest to Sacramento and the Bay, so there is also a lot of people there who only ski 1 day a year! Donner Ski Area is tiny but can be fun as long as you have no expectations! Which leaves us with Alpine and Squaw. I don't ski at Alpine, because I ski at Squaw, but it is cheaper, and they set a limit on the number of tickets sold. The terrain is comparable to Squaw, but it is smaller. Are you confused yet? Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not really confused - just lots to take in !!

So it sounds like Squaw will be very good for us. We will have at least six full days skiing so was considering driving up from San Fran on the Satuday morning...staying at Heavenly the first night and then getting up early to ski there on the Sunday. Sunday night drive up to Squaw and the spend Mon - Fri skiing that area.

Sounds like that should work out alright - with maybe one day in the middle being taken elsewhere.

So....only two more questions !!!!!

- Is the snow normally reliable in the middle of Feb ?
- Does Squaw have enough for 5 days?

Thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

- Is the snow normally reliable in the middle of Feb ?

By February we usually have a base of 12 to 15 feet - how much snow do you want! snowHead

I think there is enough for 5 days skiing at Squaw - I haven't been bored yet.

If you are driving up from SF, why not leave on Friday night (after 7pm)? You'll miss the traffic and have an extra full day skiing.

The week of Feb 20th is ski-week so many schools have time off, and the kids race programs run all week. This means the resorts will be busy, but busy at Squaw means a 5 minute wait in the lift line, rather than 30 seconds!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not flying in until the Saturday. We will be skiing on the week of 11th Feb.....so hopefully just miss that School run !!!!!

Think that 15 feet should just about do me !!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your help so far - it's been great.
ski holidays
It might start getting busy towards the end of the week - some schools are off the 17th, but it shouldn't be too bad until the 20th - so you will just miss it! Very Happy You'll probably miss me though - I work weekends and holidays mainly so I will be there for ski week, but won't arrive until late on the 17th (my 'normal' job does get in the way sometimes!).

If there's anything else I can help with, just let me know!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy