Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Plastic racing instruction

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Come September (once I'm free of the rowing season), I have this idea to start turning up at my local dryslope for their adult race training held once a week. Mainly coz I want to get much better at recreational skiing on the real stuff for the 2005/06 season.

Soton's plastic is circa 150m long, and at present I can get 1/2 doz turns in before needing to use the poma again.

Am I being unrealistic in hoping that race training is going to take my technique to the next level? (at the very least to help me take it off the intermediate plateau!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Manda, it should help with technique which is always good, it may help take you to the next level (whatever that means) but it will also be worth having a private lesson or two in the resort in order to help transfer your new techniques learn't on a 150M slope to something a bit longer
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Manda, Definitely ! I don't think there is a better way, down here away from the snow, to improve. When you get away on the winter, however, remember that trees aren't gates - and don't flex out of the way (ouch).. snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Manda, I absolutely echo what D G Orf, and ski, have said. Race training is very good technique discipline - why else to ski teachers have to do it? It will help you in all your ski-ing. Southampton's a super slope - I've raced there many times, and you should build up to being able to do many more than 6 turns down it. Unless the management has changed recently it's also well run.

Have fun. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks.
Once I'm "allowed" get my feet out of the boat, I shall be toddling down for a bit of the plastic fantastic. Getting hit by a stationary lump of wood can't be any more painful than being hit by a moving one ! snowHead

easiski, are you saying that race training one of those things ski instructors tolerate coz it's "good for" technique, but not necessarily fun?!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Manda, Slightly off topic but since you mention the Soton slope can you tell me if the off slope facilities have improved? I spoke to Steve Filary from Flarinski when they got the management contract for the slope and he had some good ideas, but the last I saw there had been a fire and there didn't seem to be any sign of the new bar cafe and changing facilities, I guess that was a year or so ago.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Manda, Most people enjoy race training - it really is great fun, and an excellent way to let off steam and pent-up agression! However the "Final" exams for ski teachers all over Europe require that we race to a high level (approx. British FIS team) and this can be hard work. The advantage (and the reason for doing it) is that it's no-one's opinion of your ski-ing - if you're good enough you pass - if not you fail. You CAN only go fast in gates if you have good, correct technique.

boredsurfin, It sounds as though everything's changed since I was last there (hardly surprising).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Manda, So will we see you at any races ? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boredsurfin, I've only been there recently (by which I mean 5 times immediately preceding December 2004 season) so dunno whether things have changed. Still no sign of new bar cafe and changing facilities, tho, depsite the website claim for the last year or so that new facitilies are on the way - but that's just coz no-one's updated the website.....

ski ...hm. Will work on technique first. If I get any good.....Maybe ? Toofy Grin
Of course, it's one thing for kids to blat down the racecourse - not so sure that I want to be the creaky adult with bu99er all recreation technique that the kids snigger at as they spin a few 360s down the matting.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Manda,
Quote:

not so sure that I want to be the creaky adult with bu99er all recreation technique that the kids snigger at

That's exactly what they do to me ! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy