Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
Winterhighland, nice one love the vid snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
After watching the video, really looking forward to going to Cairngorm. Thanks for the advice Winterhighland. Any ideas how much snow Cairngorm got today ? Looks like theyve got a small amount forecast still to come. At least the temps forecast arent as high as it originally looked for the next few days.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Enjoyed the video - thanks!

Is that the bottom of Coire Cas at about 45 secs? Looking at that I wondered if there had ever been thoughts about widening the run there. Or is the whole coire so narrow that it wouldn't be possible/worth the effort?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Garethb, accumulated radar returns suggest in the region of 4-6inches, but strong South winds today have continued to shift more snow of the Plateau into the Northern Corries including the ski area today, White Lady saw action this afternoon which means things are continuing to improve. Looks like Tuesday through mid-week will see Southerly winds judging by recent forecast model output, a fair blow on Wednesday expected at this range, which should shift more snow from the Plateau into the ski area.

espri, with the South winds and fresh snow the very bottom bit where the netting was in the video could well have filled in across the burn. The Gunbarrel even when filled flat across isn't particularly wide, but it's a relatively deep stream gully that holds snow very well once filled in, so it's never been messed with for that reason. Plus the fact Coire Cas narrows so much as it steepens adds an extra dimension to what otherwise is a green run and is part of the reason for it's enduring popularity with almost all levels of skiers.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Winterhighland wrote:
Plus the fact Coire Cas narrows so much as it steepens adds an extra dimension ...

Very Happy
Thanks, Winterhighland
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fabulous snow for me & my youngest lad to enjoy at Glencoe today with freshies to be found in lots of places & skier packed snow elsewhere. Wide cover, nice weather and great skiing. Smile

Really good to see lots of customers enjoying it too and with all the lifts running & so much space to ski, there was very little queueing. Smiles all around. Smile

Photos in winterhighland public reports ...

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2888

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Conditions look great at the moment Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In terms of the combination of fresh snow and overhead, Glenshee was the pick on Sunday and half of Scotland it seems agreed! CairnGorm was busy, but the West Wall Poma and full length of the Cas eased the queues compared to last weekend. There is good riding to be had on CairnGorm, but it remains relatively limited in Scope. A couple of fine days weatherwise due to start the new week and Glencoe and Glenshee look like the top choices if you can get up for a mid week slide, both have a good range of stuff for all ability levels.

Glenshee has more expansive terrain for intermediates looking to cruise around and Glencoe is in great shape for more confident intermediates upwards. Glencoe expects to open all lifts and ALL RUNS including the infamous Flypaper on Monday. At Nevis Range the Back Corries are at 'unpatrolled' status, the upper traverse out and Rob Roy's Return are complete for getting back to the front of the mountain and Warren's T-bar is scheduled - which could allow for quick laps of Coire Dubh (check with patrol for the latest in the mornings regards the backs).

Dropping in near G&T Gully, Nevis Range: http://i44.tinypic.com/11ud9ht.jpg

^Glencoe: Main Basin in fantastic shape, Haggis Trap almost completely buried! (Photo by Andy Meldrum).

More Glencoe Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=764

^CairnGorm: A busy Coire Cas Gunbarrel on Sunday.

^CairnGorm: West Wall Poma makes its 2012 season debut.

CairnGorm Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=763
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone at work might want to look away now:

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Winterhighland, looking damned fine it has to be said snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Winterland, looks great. Does it really take over 2 hours to get to Glenshee from Aviemore as the aa route planner suggests?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Garethb, whether you go North or South you have to drive right around the mountain core of the Cairngorms to get from Aviemore to Glenshee.

It's 68miles to Glenshee from Aviemore via the A939, B976 and A93 (the Northern route) and the Lecht is exactly halfway at 34miles. If road conditions are OK it should be around 45mins to the Lecht from Aviemore, however if your unfamiliar with the road it could well take longer even in good conditions (the B976 is a single track road with passing places). If the weather is wintry at all check the road conditions and whether they are all open, to be honest if it's snowing at all I'd either stick with CairnGorm or the Lecht or head West on lower level roads.

The alternative Southern route via the A9, Kirkmichael and then the A93 from the South into Glenshee is about 20miles longer and in my experience quite a bit longer timewise (Google maps suggests the same time of 2 hours 5mins) - the Northern approach to Glenshee from Braemar will also be much quieter on a busy day than the South one.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 6-02-12 21:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Garethb, as your visiting at half term, I'd add that if your planning to try out other areas from Aviemore that generally speaking Nevis Range and Glencoe are traditionally much quieter at Half Term than Glenshee and CairnGorm which tend to be the busiest, both these will also have more significant input of local families on a mix of long weekends or full half term week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Who's been saying it hasn't been a good season in Scotland, the Back Corries at Nevis Range have been rocking all season...Smile

Come taste some powder in Scotland's finest lift served Back Country.

More info & photos on the Back Corrie Blog http://backcorries.wordpress.com/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stunning pictures.
snow report
More pix from Monday at Nevis Range: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=765

Glencoe:

^Looking up the wide bowl that is the Flypaper, lots of action on Monday.

^A promising start to Monday, Meall a' Bhuiridh from the Access Chair. Flypaper and Spring Run in the morning Sun.

More in Public Reports on WH: http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2898

A beautiful day across Highland Scotland, should be another cracker on Tuesday. Go play!
snow report
Is Braveheart running today?!
latest report
Winterhighland, thanks for all your advice I think we will definitely try Glencoe, although a reasonable drive its worth it for slightly less busy slopes and wider runs for my son to perfect his carving and the range of runs looks very good. Until looking on here hadnt even considered Glencoe dont know why but mistakedly thought they wouldnt have as good snow cover never mind better than Cairngorm! Do they get less affected by the wind than Cairngorm?
ski holidays
Garethb, ah, Glencoe, the best little ski centre that so many people forget and rightly deserves the pet name in Scotland, 'The Mighty One'. Little Angel Glencoe is not just the mutt's nuts but is usually less busy than Cairngorm too. It doesn't feature wide and straight motorway runs like that in the Coire Cas at Cairngorm but its Main Basin run is plenty wide enough and has lots of vertical albeit it's a bit steeper than the blue runs at Cairngorm. The Spring Run off the ridge path to the left hand side of the top T-Bar & Poma is a wonderful gully that like the Main Basin usually fills in with the windblown snow. And don't let that picture of the Fly Paper above fool you unless you're really, very confident on steeps because up close, you'll realise that it is both much steeper than European black runs and also has some quite direct exposure to interesting terrain features in the fall-line making it fair to say it's often a no-fall type ski run. For the easiest skiing, the plateau run is well-filled in just now for wide, straight and easy carving and is quite similar in pitch/width to the upper Coire Cas and Ptarmigan runs at Cairngorm. It's also the only run at Glencoe that relies on snow fences to capture the snow as it really does sit flat on the mountain rather than inside the terrain. Finally, below the Main Basin is a lovely descent down 'The Wall' back to a pretty quick T-Bar adjacent to the Cliffhanger single man chair. The Wall is a great run if the cloud rolls in and the upper runs feature pea soup visibility and you don't fancy skiing with 'The Force'. wink
latest report
moffatross wrote:
Fly Paper.......fair to say it's a no-fall type ski run.

nonsense, I been down it more than once with an unintentional tumble thrown in fer added style Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
Another awesome day at glencoe with great pisted snow on the main basin and also the flypaper skiing about as easy as it ever will.

Needless to say my thighs are still pretty tired after that
latest report
I'm potentially going to head to either Glenshee or Glencoe on Friday.

SnowForecast.com is forecasting snow Thur night at Glenshee, not sure how much confidence in that?

Would appreciate any updates from Thursday on conditions to help me decide which route to take.

Thanks in advance

Brian
snow report
barry, so you're sometimes a stylish free-faller as well as a stylish free-heeler ? ... I'm not sure I'd ever want to try telemark turns down the Fly though even if the vis was good, the snow was soft and stable and the rocks in the fall-line were covered up. Laughing And I agree, although my 'often' was missing from your quote, as 1873Chris points out, sometimes the Fly can be nice as pie. Little Angel
latest report

Epic day in at Summit Gully with loads of fresh being blown in on the strengthening southerly's.

Looks like the weather is about to change with more snow & winds but looking good so far for the weekend.... Smile
latest report
Fly certainly looks pretty good right now, aint never been on it in such great conditions that'd make me want to lap it all day - the combo of cover, snow, vis (more in conditions that made me proud/relieved to survive and dodge back into springy and closer in for the laps!). Always managed to avoid the rock bands, whether falling or skiing!

first trip of the season out west might be on the cards, its been too long.

any truth in the rumour that braveheart were on today?
snow conditions
Nah no Braveheart wish there had been then it would have saved my legs for another run down Summit Gully, bitch of an hike out on a snowboard.

Looking like it will roll at the weekend... Very Happy
snow report
BackCorriesNR, cheers, good news! looks like snow all the way back out without being too high?

"entrances" look fairly mellow too (as they go), eh?
snow report
Yeah Barry there is an entrance for most abilities big droppins or mellow roll ins the choice is yours. The cover is real good and you dont have to stay to high you can get back using Pinball alley which is real good fun rock drops & pipe walls... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pinball Alley - one of the best named "runs" anywhere, i remember thinking just that on my first traverse outta there a few years back Shocked Embarassed Laughing
ski holidays
Conditions look stellar at the moment. Gutted I'm stuck in the library Sad
snow report
Some cool photos.

Sunny weekend ahead.
snow conditions
The Lecht's not at much of a mention recently and for intermediates there's some good sport on offer on a variety of blues, for those just starting out the nursery slopes served by the Robin adn Wren handle tows and the magic carpet are in great shape with a substantial top up of machine made snow last week. Fantastic for learning with the Cafe overlooking them and right next to the carpark. Falcon offers a red run for more experienced riders.

^Nursery slopes and Magic Carpet - right by the Cafe.

^Eagle full width machine groomed snow between the fences. Great run for getting confident on blues, relaxed gradient but interesting variations.

Full Report: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=766
ski holidays
^ love the lecht, small area but big vibe.

and.....

sniff sniff, cough cough, hachoo hachooooo, Braveheart runs friday Toofy Grin
latest report
Decided to make the trip north again with mrs ledge and friends - just how rammed is it going to be at cairngorms during half term weekend?
snow report
ledge, very I suspect - gimme a shout 'coz I'll be there working Very Happy
latest report
Whats the predictions for weather tomorrow?

Worth a shot at Glencoe?
snow report

Just to let you know that if you are interested in The Back Corries at Nevis Range we now have a Facebook page which has just gone live.

Over the season hopefully the community will grow and share the knowledge to make sliding the Backs a safer and more accessible area for all. Very Happy

Please feel free to browse or even contribute your images from past & present.

http://www.facebook.com/BackCorries
snow report
^ You guys should rename them backbowls, not back corries, so more people understand what you mean.
snow report
Winterhighland, Any ideas how hard the warmer weather and rainfall has hit Cairngorm and Glencoe? Noticed that the web cams at Cairngorm are not working lower down and are not facing the ski area higher up = not a good sign!
snow report
I am interested to see how the artificial base holds up at the Lecht, i doubt they will move their cameras to hide the truth.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy