Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg snow report 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for tuning in last season. 43433 views, not bad ..

The season has been over nearly 1 week Sad

I was going to start by mentioning about some new Hotels. No need to as St Anton resident Snowhead sidneyreilly, has already detailed on his
blog.

http://stantonviews.blogspot.com/2011/04/funky-finish.html

JagerBomb World Record FangHouse St Anton

http://youtube.com/v/5x3ImLhxTsU

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 8-05-12 18:07; edited 40 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Work began on flattening Funky's etc. not long after the last night. No Scotty's next season either from what I've heard.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A second 5* hotel is very welcome in St. Anton, but all new buildings are beginning to look very similar in St. Anton... there must be more inspirational architects in Austria?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Winter returns to The Arlberg

Lech

Rendl

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton, Any sign of any lift uprades going on for next season, I had heard that Schindlergratbahn may be upgraded this summer?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hope not Sad It gets tracked out enough as it is...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timmaah, Yes that was my reason for asking.......Apart from the 10-11am rush down from top of Zammermoosbahn/ St Christophbahn to Schindlerbahn station its generally OK regards queueing at Schindler, however at peak times like New Year and 1/2 term it can be a bottleneck and a new lift would assist then, otherwise its OK.

Also plans to replace Albona 1 and 2 with a gondola from Rauz, anything happening there?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Markymark29 wrote:
I had heard that Schindlergratbahn may be upgraded this summer?

the current lift is 30 yrs old, believe it will be a 6 man bubble but I very much doubt it will be upgraded this summer or even next..

Markymark29 wrote:
Also plans to replace Albona 1 and 2 with a gondola from Rauz, anything happening there?

I am not sure exactly when this is starting now, it was suppose to be this summer but could well be next now.

When it starts Albona 1 with new Rauz restaurant,shop(s) & car park development will happen first probably together with a the new modern chair up from Stuben am Arlberg

Meanwhile in Lech

Some of the lifts in planning .

Warth Link

In Planning: Weibermahdbahn (Bj. 2011)
Combination lift, an 8 Seat and 10 person Gondola

Zug

Replacement for 2 man chair.

In Planning: Zugerbergbahn
8 person Gondola

Lech-Oberlech

Replacement for 2 man chair.

In Planning: Schlosskopfbahn
8 person Gondola
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Eyeopener wrote:
but all new buildings are beginning to look very similar in St. Anton... there must be more inspirational architects in Austria?

I totally agree with you. I must admit I preferred the character of the place much more before they moved the railway and although moving the railway has helped them upgrade the lift system, I think all of the buildings constructed since all look a bit cheap for what is one of Europe's best known resorts.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markymark29 wrote:
stanton, Any sign of any lift uprades going on for next season, I had heard that Schindlergratbahn may be upgraded this summer?

I can see the benefit from a capacity point of view, but the landing area at the top can be pretty chaotic as it is sometimes and I am not sure how they might address that, unless there is somewhere else a higher capacity lift might terminate.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In good weather I don't mind the current Schindlergratbahn at all, fantastic views and a moment to relax. In less favorable weather it can be extremely cold and very unpleasant however. I therefore can imagine a lift-update, although not this summer.

If they do replace the lift I presume they would be wise enough to place the "valley" station a few meters down the mountain, as this will eliminate the kamikaze runs towards the current lift-entry.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pettneu am Arlberg

The future of the lifts is still uncertain. Following the lift company bankruptcy, Last season in January a Norwegian investor bought some of the lifts. There still has to be a decision weather the Norwegian investor will buy the main lift, & parking lot but this does not look likely before this winter. Doppelmayr are getting impatient & want to know who the new operator is by the summer otherwise they are going to take down, reclaim the main lift

http://tirol.orf.at/stories/516863/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Good Old Days

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great. Thanks for uploading. Very few buildings. Things have changed a lot.

Any news on the lifts? I know Lech is building one combo, but what about the planned gondola to Albona form Alpe Rauz?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've always meant to ask this, but on the piste map 'above' lech are some greyed out lifts, with Salober Kopf written near them. Was this a proposed extenstion that never happened?
snow conditions
kitenski,
Lifts around Salober Kopf I believe belong to Warth resort.
Underneath them dotted lift "Project" is the proposed connection between Lech and Warth.
Weibermahd lift just on the left of them is being upgraded this year to chair - gondola combo.
Which might be a sign that this connection will happen sooner or later. Eventually.
snow conditions
Weibermahd upgrade is well underway .

SaloberKopf is part of the Warth-Schröcken Arlberg Ski Area

http://www.warth-schroecken.com/en/startpage-skilift-warth-schroecken/

http://www.sisag.ch/download/sismap_warth_web/SisMap.html

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 23-08-11 8:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Is Weibermahd the one with the speed gun near the bottom of it?
snow report
Kitenski, yup it is.

I'm in Lech over the summer so might take the odd walk up that way, see how it's getting on.
snow report
Guten Altes Tages Lech am Arlberg

snow report
Never really appreciated the amount of development thats happen. About when are these fromstanton?
snow report
Lovely old pics - thanks.
ski holidays
The Funky Chicken is back Very Happy

The Funky Chicken is Back!!! from JAM NEW MEDIA
http://vimeo.com/24675903
snow conditions
It's moving to the Arl Rock isn't it? Not sure if it would be nearly as popular out there...
ski holidays
It's not moving as such, just the guy who ran Funky's is going to be running the bar there from what I understand. Will still be popular I think, the seasonnaires will need somewhere to go with no Funkys, Platzl or Scottys (unless that has changed).
snow report
Some comments on St Anton from James Riddell's "Skiing in Austria" (1958):

"For the past forty to fifty years St Anton has been one of those names that is part and parcel of ski-ing language. Never, however, has [St Anton] been, in all its history either pre or post the ski era, a village of much consequence or much beauty. It is today, in fact, merely a straggling collection of buildings, which grows larger from year to year..."

"Many a skier, expert enough in his own home ground in many a lesser centre, will soon find himself cut down to size in St Anton. Should he be able to accept the fact untemperamentally his morale can generally be restored by enrolling himself in the ski school."

"The not so good skier, and the average performer, can certainly fumble and flounder his way down most of the prepared pistes..."

"It is a place laid out by good skiers for good skiers- and not very much attention (such as restaurants, night spots, and frivolous entertainment) is paid to anything else. The tempo of the pistes is quick and enthralling, but that of the village itself is relatively dull."

"Although there is first class tuition for absolute novices here, it is an inescapable fact that to enjoy St Anton to the hilt one should be able to ski reasonably well, and it is perhaps more sensible for the first-year skier to find his feet in less ambitious surroundings."
snow conditions
I don't actually think that The funky is moving to the Arlrock or that Sean is going to be running the bar at the Arlrock. The Arlrock bar is part of the Skiing Budda restaurant and as far as I am aware this is not changing. However I think this rumour comes from the fact that Sean who ran the Funky is now working for Harry of H2O (summer water sports company) who runs the Arlrock sports centre....
snow conditions
I thought it was the bar downstairs as they have held events down there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is indeed (rumored to be) the bar downstairs. I also heard whispers that Buddha was changing as well...
snow report
Well I will look into all of this.....
snow report
Well lets hope the Funky Chicken Cesspit is indeed dead, buried & closed for good Skullie
ski holidays
dare I say I am with you on that one!!
latest report
Timelapse Weibermahd upgrade

http://simo.grutsch.info/lw1.html
snow conditions
Another old photo......pre-mechanisation I'd say....

ski holidays
Viaje a St. Anton !

Viaje a St. Anton, Austria from Luis Almodóvar
http://vimeo.com/25225424
ski holidays
I like how it's entitled "Road trip to Austria" then they hop on a plane!!
snow report
Some info from Sidney

http://stantonviews.blogspot.com/2011/06/building-progress.html

http://stantonviews.blogspot.com/2011/06/update.html
snow conditions
St Anton boys trip booked for 3rd march Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Missed out this year. Will be interesting to see what difference the changes will make - hotel at Moos, gunar moving to Kandahar etc...
snow conditions
Can anyone tell me the meaning behind the tower of rocks on the summits in the Arlberg? I imagine it's a common tradition across Austria (at the least), but why? What's the meaning behind them?
snow conditions
Timmaah, if they are the "towers" I've seen, I think it is the same as the cairns we have in the mountains marking the routes.

But I'm not sure which towers of rock you mean here as I can't see any in the photos. Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy