Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott Crusair / Dynafit TLT FT12 review

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I recently changed my Dynastar Legend 8800's with Fritschi Freeride +'s for Scott Crusairs with Dynafit TLT FT12 bindings. No boot change was necessary as my Scarpa Spirit 4's already had metal fittings for Dynafit. I'd also recently swapped out the original soft green tongue in the Scarpa boots with the supplied stiffer black ones and found it made the boot feel much like an Alpine DH one and makes no discernible difference in terms of hoofing comfort.

Anyway I was so happy with the new skis & bindings at Cairngorm recently, both on the ski runs on Coires Cas & Ciste and off piste on the plateau and over and out of Coire an t'Sneachda that I gambled on taking them away to Ischgl in Austria last week. Eight days and maybe a couple of hundred miles skiing in chalky gullys, fresh powder, bumps, spring snow, slush, morning hardpack, off-piste steeps, narrow ridge tracks to reach them, flat and sloppy resort runs, basically, almost every snow condition I've ever come across, and they've turned out to be the best all round ski I've ever had for both on and off piste and with the exception of glazed snow they're much, much better than anything I've ever used on either. I kept the edges sharp so they did hold an edge to traverse on the neve and sideslipping steep, glazed hardpack but a little caution was required compared to heavy, narrow piste skis. That was the Crusair's only limitation though and they excelled at deeply carved fast turns in light slush and soft to firm snow and floated high in fresh powder snow which for me, made dancing it effortless, for the first time ever.

Getting the precut skins on and off quickly is a doddle if you preadjust them so that they are tensioned a little by the camber of the ski because then, the clips will be positioned so precisely on the ski cutouts that they stick exactly in the right place as you press your hand front from to back. The skis & bindings weigh next to nothing when skinning or shouldering them.

The Dynafit FT's (set on DIN 8 ) continued to be a skoosh to use and released the skis just once and that was definitely when needed (a high speed crash into an unseen submerged something in deep powder). A few minutes search for a buried ski followed but I was left with no broken ligaments etc. Bumps, moguls and little drops (unexpected cornices off piste, Kasbohrer furrows etc on piste) were fine but fast skiing on hard morning snow and landings on hard snow were a little uncomfortable (it eventually felt a bit like the soles of your feet getting slapped with a bit of wood Toofy Grin )until it softened up as it felt like there is no damping in the binding whatsoever.

I was a bit nervous that something might get broken because Dynafit bindings just look a little frail and the skis are so light and stiff but they were rock solid. A brilliant ski / binding combination snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great review, have just bought Crusairs for touring in Norway and am encouraged to hear the dynafit bindings can cope with being a general binding too. A bit of a leap of faith for a skier not known for being light on the skis! Am also planning to use new NTN tele bindings as have just doshed out for Scarpa tele/dynafit boots. Will keep forum posted when snow falls if I scrape together cash for extra bindings - anyone want a 9'8" longboard?!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy