Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Endless slopes Maxxtracks/Proleski etc effect on technique

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My child has been skiing on an endless slope. Originally she was skiing a wide parallel with weight on her outside ski (typical for a kid under 8 transitioning from snow plough to parallel I think).

Since the endless slope she has started banking her turns and has excessive body rotation she’s almost forcibly swinging her turns round. Her weight is exclusively on her inside ski when turning which causes her skis to split. It’s a technique which works well for her in races but obviously is limiting for her to continue to develop and improve.

I am wondering if this issue has developed from the Endless slope (it’s a hard quite sticky surface and difficult to rotate on) or if it was her pushing herself more to parallel turn on there and forcing her skis round herself (therefore needing an instructor to stop her rushing to get her skis parallel but sacrificing technique to do so).

Has anyone else skied on one of these system, or even had experience coaching on them and can give some insight if the system itself can be damaging for technique or if it can be a good training tool but perhaps needs more correction to ensure these habits don’t form?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Her weight is exclusively on her inside ski when turning which causes her skis to split. It’s a technique which works well for her in races but obviously is limiting for her to continue to develop and improve.

I have skied on an endless slope -- but that was 30 years ago! Being on the inside ski is not a good technique for ski racing!!

I would suggest some lessons, or better yet - find a local race club (snow dome or plastic), and join that. Developing sound technique now will pay hige dividends as she grows.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you. She is already in a race club in a snow dome and was in a dry slope club previously. I have asked her coaches to work on body separation, edging and bending her knees (she straightlegs at the moment) and they have been doing lots of drills. There is some conflict as to whether the Maxxtracks has caused this issue or not. It is complimentary to this training and has been great for strength and conditioning (she’s very skinny) so I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue, if it is a common problem and whether something can be done to stop her picking up this habit there or if she should stop going entirely.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 5-06-21 11:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Snowmonki, I think the issue is that it's hard to generate the same forces compared to normal skiing whilst being a perfect way of practising movement -- good or bad. Can you get one of her coaches to come to Maxxtracks and watch? Or video and discuss with the coach?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When you ski on a real slope, you have to work with and against two main forces. Gravity and centrifugal / centripetal force. On an endless slope, there is no centrifugal force because you're not actually moving (much). So the balance of forces is very different. They are useful for movement drills, but have severe limitations when compared to outdoor skiing. In your example, centrifugal force would be causing her weight to transfer to the outside ski in the real world, but this effect is greatly reduced on the conveyor belt.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy