Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Big Sky,Big Mountain.....Big Distance??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
just doing the next best thing to skiing....researching the next big trip Very Happy So here's the thing, Montana definately Very Happy but Big Mountain or Big Sky ? Both have their attractions; Big Sky has some serious challenges for the boys, but seems to be a bit quiet/souless in the evenings, whilst Big Mountain looks to have more all round terrain for a mixed ability foursome and is near to Whitefish for the odd evening jolly.Any ideas?I know some of the Epic gang have been to Big Sky.
I did have a brainwave Shocked and suggested we try and do a two center trip, a week in both, has anyone done this? it looks a long transfer (300 miles??)so it would probably involve an internal flight.Any idea's or first hand knowlege would be gratefully received.
Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Few years ago did Big Mountain & Fernie (Canada) as a two centre trip using Calgary as the Gateway.

I have previously skied Big Moutain a few times back in the 80/90's but its grown somewhat since I last went back. Defiinitly stay down in Whitefish theres not much to do in the mountain village at night.
From Big Sky to Big Sky is around 6 hours (with the foot down) over 300 miles.

I skied Bridger Bowl a couple of times nice little place plenty of chutes & steeps off the ridge. Cheap Ski Pass and the nearby town of Bozeman is quite happening as the State University is based here.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Few years ago did Big Mountain & Fernie (Canada) as a two centre trip using Calgary as the Gateway.

I have previously skied Big Moutain a few times back in the 80/90's but its grown somewhat since I last went back. Defiinitly stay down in Whitefish theres not much to do in the mountain village at night.
From Big Sky to Big Sky is around 6 hours (with the foot down) over 300 miles.

I skied Bridger Bowl a couple of times nice little place plenty of chutes & steeps off the ridge. Cheap Ski Pass and the nearby town of Bozeman is quite happening as the State University is based here.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I looked at flights to Kalispell and they were a real pain. Change planes twice and end up in Kalispell around 11 o'clock at night.

However, Wear The Fox Hat knows of more acceptable flights to Montana, so I would check with him.

I got the free booklet from the tourist office as well. This lists other resorts, the nearest airport and transfer times :-
Blacktail, Discovery , Great Divide, Lost trail, Snowbowl, Red Lodge, Showdown.

Bozeman is close to two areas but you could also fly to Helena, Missoula, Billings, Great Falls.

Either way you will need a car - unlike Tahoe or Salt Lake City. I am not sure how much accommodation there is either. At the other two places there are loads of options.

Car hire seemed to be more expensive than San Francisco or SLC.

I don't know much about the state of Montana. I sometimes wonder if it is anything like the film ' Fargo', (which was set in North Dakota)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
excitableboy,

I did a trip involving Big Sky, Bridger Bowl and Big Mountain plus a few others. It is a long drive but on a very good road, with one very high pass (which just possibly might be tricky if you were unlucky with the weather) and next to no traffic by UK standards. Definitely driveable, which would give you loads more flexibility and be reasonable between four of you. If you do Big Sky, easily the biggest area, then I'd suggest also doing/seeing Yellowstone >> can't recommend it enough, not to be missed.

Only did half day at Big Sky but a bit more at Bridger Bowl:

Well worth a couple of days. Virtually deserted apart from weekends. Always able to get a table in the day lodge.

Good Beginner terrain off Powder Park Lift.

Snowboarders should avoid the Alpine Lift as there’s a good chance you’ll have to walk unless you go down Alpine Face (44). Because the runs are largely Beginner/Intermediate there is a good chance of fresh powder here though as the rest of the mountain gets tracked out first.

Deer Park Lift has a great little gully run underneath it called Sluice Box (26).

There are some longish high speed cruisers off the Pierre’s Knob lift.

Imperial Inn (Bozeman) extremely central and reasonably priced. John Bozeman Bistro opposite does superb meals or there’s a very reasonable Mexican in the hotel virtually next door.

and Big Mountain:

Ed’s Run is a wide, high speed carving run off Ed’s Chair.

Hell-Fire is a fun, undulating run, nearly all below tree level that takes you to the bottom off the Hellroaring lift. If you want to expose yourself to public scrutiny you can then ski the black mogul run down beneath this lift.

Glacier Chaser lift as well as offering Hellfire also offers lots of other options including a number of long blues. There are also some incredible snow drenched trees here, known as ‘Snow Ghosts’. Apparently they can be holding as much as 2,000 lbs of snow . . . so don’t go and kick one.

Allens Motel offers rooms with décor that’s years out of date but has prices to match. The advice about staying in Whitefish is absolutely correct. There's a great apres ski spot/pub called (I think) The Wolfpack on the way back to town.

A whole week at Big mountain might be pushing it. If you can get a flight to Bozeman, then a week at Big Sky, 1 or 2 days for Yellowstone and rest at Bozeman (for Bridger) or belt up to Big Mountain. If you get a car (a big SUV !) then it gives you loads more flexibility and it's more of an adventure. Big Sky it would be better to book accomodation in advance but the others you can easily find reasonable priced accomodation on spec.

Thinking > that would be my recommendation: do Big Sky first with booked accom., including 1 or 2 days for Yellowstone, then Bridger Bowl which is only a short distance the other side of Bozeman (you could easily move to Bozeman in the evening after spending a full day skiing at Big Sky). Then depending on how you feel, belt up to Big Mountain for a couple of days. If you got transfer to Big Sky you'd only need SUV for the second part of the holiday. In fact if you only did Bridger then there's probably a free/cheap bus from town, you're just tied into their times if you go that route.

This is a bit stream of consciousness but do it, you'll have a great time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I don't know much about the state of Montana. I sometimes wonder if it is anything like the film ' Fargo', (which was set in North Dakota)

Fargo???? Don't worry, there isn't much plaid flannel worn around here. You have to go to the flatter, eastern part of the state to find people from the movie Fargo. The Scandinavians have interbred with the Irish miners in the mountainous, western part of the state.

If you're thinking of skiing at Big Sky, then you probably should also consider skiing at Moonlight Basin, which opened 2 years ago. It abuts Big Sky to the north. It has some fun, long cruiser runs, interesting glade runs and even smaller crowds than Big Sky (which rarely has a liftline.) The two ski areas had been feuding in the past but will be offering a joint ticket this year. This is a big plus for Moonlight since most of its extreme terrain is only accessible via foot or Big Sky lifts.

Big Sky/Moonlight Basin are 50 miles/80 km from Bozeman. If you are in the area consider staying in Bozeman a day or two and skiing Bridger Bowl. It has some great terrain, good snow and some of the best moguls you'll ever ski in the North Bowl. Its main downside is it gets overran by rude crowds on big powder days.

Now if you want something completely different consider doing a short road trip to some of the smaller community ski areas in the area. The best is Ski Discovery which is 2 hours west of Bozeman. It isn't very big but its backside has a series of 14 true double diamond runs that are a blast to ski. Another fun area is Showdown outside White Sulphur Springs, about two hours from Bozeman.

Big Mountain is 350 miles/550 km from Bozeman and can be a long drive during the winter. I wouldn't recommend doing it for just a day or two.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy