Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

my ski season ruined on third day !

Poster: A snowHead
Been a while since last time I wrote something here, so i decided to come with a story Smile

Since last year and I was preparing for my ski holiday which happened on mid of March, it was my third ski holiday so i'm not a pro, but I do blue slopes easily and have to focus a little on red slopes.

I was on a blue slope enjoying a sunny day, specially it was snowing heavily the day before, it was one of those best days. I was at the end of the blue slope, it wasn't even green, just a straight area, so I wanted to reposition my gopro which was on my chest and I assume that my right ski went into the top of my left, I fall on my left shoulder, I felt something weird on my left ankle, felt like it was swelling, I took my boots, to rest, put them back, but I couldn't ski on my left leg, I knew something was wrong, had to ask for a bed thing to carry me to the village and to the hospital.

i had a level 2 ankle sprain, they told me I need to rest for 6 weeks ! because of a very stupid mistake, I'm kinda nervous to ski again to be honest, as I heard, once you have a sprained ankle, it is very easy to happen again. I live in Dubai and i would like to go back skiing in the indoor ski park, just not sure if it's a good idea lol, been 3 months now, I feel great I do any type of exercise normally though.

I assume my issue is, I do not have a full control when ski on straight flat area, i do have full control on a slope because I go left and right and it is easy to apply pressure on the left or right, but when skiing straight, the skis drive me more than I drive the ski , specially when I do not want to lose speed and try to stay at straight position. does it make any sense what I'm saying here?lol I need some feed back on what you think about this issue though!!

I was planning to get a trainer the day after and I know I had this iss and was going to as the ski instructor about an advice, but the injury happened and no class was taken Sad

here is a quick video of the trip I made

http://youtube.com/v/00HbED1_fzU
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice little video, imagine the fun you'll ave next season..

I think you are probably worrying too much, if you have full range of movement in your ankle, can walk up and down stairs normally you'll be ok. Get back on the snow and hone the technique.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You’ll be fine but take some lessons.

Possibly... get better fitting boots? Ankle sprains I <think> are relatively rare if your boots fit correctly.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's always those stupid falls on green/blues that hurt..... Mrs M once broke her humerus when traversing a green to get to a restaurant for lunch after a morning playing off piste!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Bob !

Quote:

et better fitting boots? Ankle sprains I <think> are relatively rare if your boots fit correctly.

I heard that to, which should not happened, but it did and i'm not sure, the boot I have is bought from a reputable shop in UK and took me more than an hour for the boot expert to get a perfect fit, another reason the boot wasn't tight enough perhaps ?
Definitely more lessons on the way!

Thanks for the reply !!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

It's always those stupid falls on green/blues that hurt..... Mrs M once broke her humerus when traversing a green to get to a restaurant for lunch after a morning playing off piste!

Exactly !! My self, I probably wasn't careful when going into green or easy slopes, like what the worst thing can happen? BAM no more skiing for you !!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great video-the conditions looked fantastic. Saint Foy is a lovely little resort. I agree with the others-don't worry, get out there and ski some more.
We've all fallen on silly little slopes-but at least nothing was broken and your knees were intact!

Maybe your boots were a bit loose though. I also recommend lessons-I can see from the film and the shadow you cast (assuming you are the skier filming) that some lessons to improve technique would make you feel far more stable and in control-and there's nothing like lessons out on the real mountains rather than indoors. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

aybe your boots were a bit loose though. I also recommend lessons-I can see from the film and the shadow you cast (assuming you are the skier filming) that some lessons to improve technique would make you feel far more stable and in control-and there's nothing like lessons out on the real mountains rather than indoors.

I can't agree more, nothing like the real thing Smile

i use the indoor to just practise during summer/before ski trip,

Next time I'll start with lessons at the beginning of the trip Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why not get a few regular lessons at the indoor slope from now until you go?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BinGhanem wrote:

I assume my issue is, I do not have a full control when ski on straight flat area, i do have full control on a slope because I go left and right and it is easy to apply pressure on the left or right, but when skiing straight, the skis drive me more than I drive the ski , specially when I do not want to lose speed and try to stay at straight position. does it make any sense what I'm saying here?lol I need some feed back on what you think about this issue though!!

It could be a number of things:

1. not getting pressure forward on the flat - sitting back on the tails too much so the skis wander - that could be technique or boots
2. maybe you have something that needs addressing with footbeds or canting?
3. could even be a ski issue - bases not flat or other

My instinct is always to go with a technique issue, as that is what the majority of problems are, rather than looking for a fix but snowheads seem to have an extraordinary number of short legs, knocked knees, bow legs and foot issues. I would certain go out with an experienced skier (friend or instructor) and see what they think. It does make sense that you don't have the problem on slopes as you are forced to ski on the edges.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BinGhanem wrote:
i had a level 2 ankle sprain ...
I had a Grade 2 ankle sprain (most likely the anterior talofibular ligament getting the most damage) last winter (not skiing, although ironically it was while I was at home recovering from a skiing injury). It's taken ages for it to recover, and probably still isn't back to 100% 15 months after the injury. About 5 weeks after the ankle sprain I did a little bit of gentle indoor skiing, and to be honest this was probably a bit too soon as skiing and putting the boot on & off was quite painful. After about 8 or 9 weeks indoor skiing was fine, and having my foot in a ski boot actually felt better than regular shoes as the boot as there was so little lateral movement of the ankle joint. If you injured your ankle in March I'd say that you should be fine to ski on it now, and starting off with some gentle skiing indoors is the perfect way to get back in to it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you ski sooner or later you will get hurt and spoil a holiday - that's just reality. No reason to let it stop you enjoying next trip.

The flat area thing just sounds like a control issue with running flat - most people always try to keep a tiny bit of edge on for control.

Biomechanics can be an issue in such circumstances - if I'm skiing a really wide ski I find it almost impossible to edge on the same edges on the flat so end up on the inside edge of both skis
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BinGhanem wrote:
If you are trying to ski in a straight line on skis which are perfectly flat on the snow (across a cat track or flat run-out of a gentle piste, for example) it is very easy for the skis to "wander" around a little, and perhaps catch an edge so they suddenly veer off. As you say, it will feel like the skis are steering you more than you are steering the skis. The answer is never to be on a completely flat ski, always have the skis on their edges so they grip the snow a little, then you have much greater control of the direction the skis are heading in.

Probably wise to have a lesson with an instructor who can give you more direct feedback on any technique issues you might have.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had a lot of trouble with ankle strains in the past , but after physio and some exercises all is well.

One of the easiest exercises I was given to do was to stand on one leg on the bad ankle, with your eyes shut. You'd be amazed at how hard this is, but it helps train the ankle to regain it's stability. Try on the other foot - you'll see the difference.

I still do this regularly, and haven't had an ankle sprain now for over 10 years ( famous last words )
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eblunt wrote:
One of the easiest exercises I was given to do was to stand on one leg on the bad ankle, with your eyes shut. You'd be amazed at how hard this is, but it helps train the ankle to regain it's stability. Try on the other foot - you'll see the difference.
I've done a lot of that over the last 12 months, graduating to doing it on a balance dome (half a bosu ball) when my ankle had regained some strength. Keeping your eyes closed really ramps up the exercise.
ski holidays
As mentioned above, skis can wander on the flat (especially as you get more tired I find), so the key is a little ankle rolling to keep them slightly on either edge. Follow an instructor and they will be doing this.
ski holidays
I do think it's technique that's letting the OP down, looking at the video even on the slopes it doesn't look as if he's got too much control over the front of his skis.
snow report
marcellus wrote:
I do think it's technique that's letting the OP down, looking at the video even on the slopes it doesn't look as if he's got too much control over the front of his skis.

Yes, my point one. Helmet cams shots are not easy to analyse but he appears to be sitting too far back with no pressure on the front of the skis, hence the tips wander. Time to have some lessons/coaching. Over to you Rob!
latest report
davidof wrote:
Yes, my point one. Helmet cams shots are not easy to analyse but he appears to be sitting too far back with no pressure on the front of the skis, hence the tips wander. Time to have some lessons/coaching. Over to you Rob!
For a week 3 skiier I thought it was looking OK, certainly having fun in some wonderful conditions in St Foy that week. Difficult to say for certain from the helmetcam, but I’d agree that he’s too far back on his skis, which is a pretty common issue. The common advice to force yourself in to a more forward position (sh@g, don’t shlt) isn’t especially helpful in my experience. I think a much better way to deal with being in the backseat is to work on the fundamental movements we make as our skis turn, especially at the start of the turn. The trouble with focusing on fore/aft position without fixing the fundamentals is that as soon as we switch focus to something else the old habits creep back.

But as lots of people have suggested, ski with an instructor or someone else with a good technical understanding and a decent eye for what’s going on will be much better than trying to guess what’s going on from a few frames of GoPro footage.
snow report
Ditch the Go Pro. Look where you are going and/or the scenery.
Blue footage can’t be worth it Twisted Evil
latest report
BinGhanem wrote:

You can't really control a flat ski...it just goes with the surface. Eventually one of the skis will try to rip your leg off. I'm sure the boffins will correct me but skiing with a tiny bit of edge is always more comfortable and actually feels a bit quicker on that green run home.
snow report
@BinGhanem, Looked lovely in St F. Can’t really add much to the excellent advice above.
My humble opinion: Have lots of lessons before your trip, get out of the back seat and learn to use your edges for carved turns instead of skidding everywhere. Once you can do that it will blow your mind, you’ll be on another level of performance n totally addicted snowHead
Then book 2 weeks in a row in a large area. If you can’t manage that, then go on a week long, full-time ski lessons trip. Either will do wonders for your skiing.
ski holidays
I'd be careful about giving too much ski advice, it can be very confusing and counter-productive for beginners.

The conditions looked nice in the video, who was the other guy who was falling over all the time?
snow report
Thanks everyone for the advices. Yes I agree, my hand always behind my body which can pull my pos little to the back, from next week I'll take some lessons, the only thing is that the instructors here not that great, I can tell by comparing my instructor in st Foy and the instructors in ski Dubai, huge different in technique, but better than nothing !!

might be a third time to St foy, or maybe somewhere else, i love empty slopes and small resorts.

Thanks everyone again
snow report
Defo buy a wobble board (about £14 from Amazon) or inflatable balance cushion and do exercises on these. I've used them for both knee and ankle injuries and they also help to build balance for skiing, especially when you have your eyes closed. Another good one is standing on it while you watch Ski Sunday and try to make turn movements in time with the racers Laughing
ski holidays
If you live in Dubai
Ski Dubai is a great place to practise and get your confidence back
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy