Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

lesson at snowdome for intermediate skier any good?

Poster: A snowHead
Booked my girlfriend (never skied before) in at MK snowdome for beginner lessons so that hopefully she is off to a good start when we go in 2006,but then I thought about myself.
Pretty much hit the dreaded “plato” with my skiing. I can be a good intermediate on my day or dreadful, although I think its because I’m a wimp and not so much technique that’s to blame, or maybe I am a wimp because of my technique but is there any point for me to have lessons at MK or should I save the dosh and have lessons at the resort- which I plan to do any way but I wonder if lessons and practice in a controlled environment would be beneficial for a skier at my level.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Louis wrote:

Pretty much hit the dreaded “plato” with my skiing.

Ah well, you've got to be philosphical about these things ... Laughing

(coat on and heading for door)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does the MK dome run "club" sessions, such as the three hours things they have at Tamworth? Tamworth lays on free instructors from whom you can get tips about your skiing. That's the theory, anyway.

Why not just splash the cash and have a go? Although the slope is small (in terms of pistes) I imagine an instructor will be able to give you some pointers.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Louis, Have lessons at MK and (if you can afford it) at resort. You will benefit from lessons here in several ways. Firstly, a controlled environment is perfect for practise. You will get a native English speaking instructor - which always helps. Lastly, the best way to progress is to practise, and practise again, and again, and again - and having lessons at MK is an ideal way to do this.

No-one, ever, is too good for lessons.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It depends on you level of intermediateness. A lot of intermediates can ski with perfect technique on a mediumly steep slope (like at a snowdome), it's only on either flatter or steeper terrain where holes in your technique show through. Personally I wouldn't bother with a lesson in a snowdome, as I'm not sure that there's too much that I would get out of it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
my only experience of instruction at the Snowdome was very positive - good instruction and a fun day. Was snowboarding, but I expect the same applies. I don't think length and steepness of slope is too critical - we recently had some lessons in Les Deux Alpes, with easiski, and focussed on basics which are the same on almost any slope. A good instructor will quickly find some key things for you to focus on, and if you think about them between now and your ski holiday, you can consolidate them (mental ski-ing, cheaper than the other kind). I did find the snowdome lessons quite expensive, but you'll feel so left out if only your girlfriend gets onto the snow!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Had some tuition at Tamworth, good exercise sets, considering refreshing skills later in the year, but I am put off by Tamworth charging £65 per hour for an instructor. MK do not disclose their prices on the website, has anyone paid for private tuition there?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For general lessons the prices are:
http://www.xscape.co.uk/miltonkeynes/snow/prices/lessons.asp
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowbunny, that's roughly twice the price charged in Switzerland for a private lesson ! Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf, there ain't much competition in Milton Keynes! Not for ski instruction, anyway. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowbunny, Shocked I'm only €30 per hour in summer and €40-50 in winter! How can they justify it Puzzled

Louis, If they're not tooooo expensive have lessons in both places. I disagree with Kramer, as far as I'm conerned your faults will show through on any piste. I teach nearly eveyone on green/easy blues. Most people who wimp do so because they don't have underlying confidence in their technique keeping them safe - therefore the answer 99% of the time is to improve your basic technique.

ps: I notice that on the MK website they don't tell you who the instructors are - that can make a big difference - check that they're properly qualified and experienced - and NEVER accept anyone who isn't.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, I believe that I would not fit well into a group (class). I have specific problems, and I'd like them addressed er specifically. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i'd recomend MK snowdome
just learnt there myself and was very good they do either 1 hour (£26) sesions of the level of your choice(if you can ski already)
or 3 hour (£68 ) basic levels 1&2 and 3&4 then on to 5 theres no limit to how offten you can go on them so if you just want advice from instructor to brush up book a level 5 Very Happy all the insructors are good and freindly and able to get you skiing very well even if you as bad as i was rolling eyes

just completed level 5 today i was over the moon ready to be let loose on my own Very Happy so i'm ready to forget everything i've just learned and look like a wally next time out.........lol

que lots of falling over Laughing

andy2005
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowbunny, you'd be surprised! I'm not advocating full size group lessons, but small groups (4 or 5), each student brings something to the group, which can mean you learn something you didn't think you had a problem with, only because someone else has the same issue.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Louis, I've heard good things about the learn to ski sessions at MK. I think at that level they're pretty sound. The instructors will be variably qualified with ASSI (artificial surface? ski instructor) club or full instructor status which is fine for learning to ski. At a higher level, well it depends - on how good you are and how good your individual instructor is. The word on the street is that some are fairly good and some not so fairly good. I'm not sure how many are BASI qualified for instance. Actually, I know an alpine performance coach who is well qualified who sometimes works out of MK Xscape off-season. If you are (or anyone else is) interested, please feel free to PM me. He's fairly reasonably priced too.

The slope itself is good for practice and if you get a decent instructor you'll get a lot out of it. Very Happy As easiski, says the secret is getting the fundamentals right and all you need is the equivalent of a blue slope.

hyweljenkins, there isn't a club session to my knowledge, but there is an adult coaching session run on Saturday mornings.

snowbunny, I've never done it but I know the price for private tuition at MK varies according to season/demand. During peak it can be £120/hr Shocked . Currently I believe it's £35 per half-hour. Still not cheap. rolling eyes Anyway, if you have specific problems to address, you might do better with higher level coaching (see above).
snow report
slikedges, [quote]
the price for private tuition at MK varies according to season/demand. During peak it can be £120/hr . Currently I believe it's £35 per half-hour.
Shocked
Ifeasiski, reads this the implications........ Shocked
I suppose that the pricing is a supply and demand thing.
Thankyou for the alpine coach contact offer, but I am unsure that I will be fully fit before the snow starts falling in Europe, so may end up paying for help in resort next year if my ski head is still on backwards !
Wear The Fox Hat, I am concerned that the MK instructors may not have the skills if they are ASSI, I have been coached by BASI 1's since the early 90's. The most effective coaching I have experienced was with a radio headset, the advantage being instant feedback and adjustment. As a student however, you do have to listen to the coach panting in your ears as he catches up Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowbunny, yes, I'm sure easiski will be seriously considering a move from LDA to MK - Laughing Laughing Laughing To be honest, I don't think they get a lot of punters at £120/hr (wonder why?) and in a way they're pricing themselves out so that the instructors/nursery slope capacity can be better employed for more lucrative group lessons. At £120/hr I'd expect a BASI I who'd work a miracle on my skiing then wash my car afterwards. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
slikedges,
Quote:

At £120/hr I'd expect a BASI I who'd work a miracle on my skiing then wash my car afterwards.

And do my boots up for me, and carry my skis at least Laughing
latest report
Kramer wrote:
It depends on you level of intermediateness. A lot of intermediates can ski with perfect technique on a mediumly steep slope (like at a snowdome), it's only on either flatter or steeper terrain where holes in your technique show through. Personally I wouldn't bother with a lesson in a snowdome, as I'm not sure that there's too much that I would get out of it.

In that respect it's much like a lot of glacier terrain in having a consistent and fairly easy gradient. Advanced skiers, instructor, training instructors and racers use that sort of terrain to train a lot as it's the best to work on some aspects of technical skiing.

If someone's skiing with "perfect" technique on a those slopes then they're not an intermediate by definition.
snow report
ise, A skier may be able to ski technically well on a moderate well groomed slope, but cannot use their skills properly on a steeper/rougher/narrower slope. If they can't make the transition I believe they are still intermediate IMHO.
ski holidays
slikedges, it's not really a club - their three hour discount sessions. Wednesday/Friday morning, and a couple of evenings IIRC.
ski holidays
Fair enough. SnowHeads have voted, and it looks like I'm wrong!
snow report
snowbunny wrote:
ise, A skier may be able to ski technically well on a moderate well groomed slope, but cannot use their skills properly on a steeper/rougher/narrower slope. If they can't make the transition I believe they are still intermediate IMHO.

In which case they're not skiing technically well, QED Very Happy

I know why this causes a minor flutter for UK skiers, it means just hammering around the hill on reds and blues a little faster each year behind the Crystal rep on this years latest skis isn't going to improve their skiing at all.
snow report
snowbunny wrote:

Interestingly when I've seen coaches and instructors with trainees they steer well clear of difficult terrain when working on fundamentals and weak points. That applies to coaches training skiers right up to World Cup level as well.
ski holidays
ise, PG, My point -which I failed to make clearly, was that all the necessary skills and capability is there, but that there are psychological barriers to utilising those skills. The results can be seen as "survival" skiing.
ski holidays
snowbunny, in that case they need to practise a little more on some easier ground until it's more comfortable .... QED, slam dunk, home run Very Happy
snow report
ise, Laughing Laughing Razz
snow report
ise,
Quote:

QED, slam dunk, home run

No not really, I believe that there are lots of skiers, who are in this situation, practice all day on the bunny slope makes no difference, they also know the theory, but competence under pressure continues to elude them. For some,the block will have nothing to do with skiing, but whatever the reason it takes a skilled, patient coach to get them over the problem and onto the next level. Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you ski well on the bunny slope - you'll ski well on more difficult slopes - by ski well, I mean according yo your own experience (i.e. a i week skier skiing well will be very different to a 10 week skier). Anyone (with a sufficiently experiened coach/instructor) will improve by practising on 'easy' slopes.
ski holidays
snowbunny, I'm afraid I cannot agree! ise, is right! While the psycological side cannot be ignored, if someone really does ski technically well on gentle slopes they will be able to transfer (gradually) onto steeper slopes, but that means: practise on greens, then easy blues, then difficult blues, then easy reds etc. However you have to practise each leveluntil you reach a point where you're comfortable. this doesn't mean that you shouldn't occasionally try out steeper slopes, but you can't transfer directly. "Survival" ski-ing (which usually leads to a lack of survival) is generally the result of the aforesaid technique not being practised until it's "normal".

What mostly happens is that they ski adequately on easy slopes but with technical faults which seem insignificant at that level, but affect them badly on steeper slopes.

ski, has put it into context.

PG, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
easiski,
Quote:

What mostly happens is that they ski adequately on easy slopes but with technical faults which seem insignificant at that level, but affect them badly on steeper slopes.

I would agree, and their "faults" go unrecognised, I think this bit of the thread has drifted somewhat, regarding folk not being able to make the leap up from intermediate (ie:what defines intermediate) wink
easiski,Bad news though agreeing with ise, it will only encourage him Very Happy Laughing
snow conditions
snowbunny, encourage me to what ? Very Happy Very Happy I hope it's not vigourous, I've just had a spin round the lake on the bike and it's around 35'c still
latest report
ise, Blush Wow, warm day. Better have a rest, you don't want to overdo things, but I guess it all depends on how you define vigourous Very Happy
snow report
actually, I got more or less knocked of my bike. Some guy in car going way too fast on a narrow track forced me off the road and I fell off. That was in the Vaud, they're so French and drive like it as well Crying or Very sad
snow report
ise, But the bike is ok? And you're all right? Sad
snow report
snowbunny, nice to see you got those questions in the right order Laughing ise, hope you're ok wink
ski holidays
D G Orf, Perhaps we could get him some stabilisers, and a whip aerial flag Laughing , and well, the bike is very new, ise, I really hope you're ok wink
snow report
thanks, we're both fine Very Happy
snow report
slikedges, have you asked your alpine performance coach friend what he thinks about the inside ski?
snow report
Alan Craggs, is that a leading question?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy