Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soviet ski troops

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/theartofwar/prop/allied_unity/INF3_1585.htm

Look kids, they've got helmets so don't think it's uncool to wear one!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ben wright, Is that an aeroplane engine on the back of that skidoo?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm looks like something from a Bond movie Laughing

snowbunny, I don't know if it's an aero engine but it certainly looks like it's supposed to be prop driven, it wouln't be ver nice skiing behind it, especially if it came to a sudden stop Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It looks like it, although if you look at one of the groups in the top right (use the zoom tab) they're being pulled along by 3 horses.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ben wright, poor horses, poor drivers as well they seem to be out in the open with just a windscreen in front of them
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What about this lot then ? Also Soviet ski troops !

http://www.onwar.com/chrono/1940/feb40/1940feb/1940feb10.jpg

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 12-07-05 23:29; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah one of those sites that does not like direct links nice pic though snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowbunny, it's an 8-cylinder radial air-cooled engine, a design commonly used in aircraft. You can tell it's air-cooled from the shape of the cylinder blocks.

However, look at how it's mounted - the lower 5 cylinders are directly behind the cab and so would get absolutely no air-flow whatsoever. Most likely the whole thing would overheat and self-destruct - possibly hence the horses ? Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If they forgot to switch the props round on one of those aeroplane engines the truck would be pulled backwards Laughing

If someone told me I was going to be shot at as I came down my favourite red, I'd be keen on a helmet too Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
slikedges,
Quote:

If someone told me I was going to be shot at as I came down my favourite red, I'd be keen on a helmet too

Another reason for the growth in popularity of helmets amongst skiers?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowbunny, what have you heard that I haven't? Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
slikedges, Well some models now come in camo, a coincidence perhaps wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowbunny, you mean white!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a mate who is Finnish. he says Soviet Ski troops are all Jessies and that the Fins whupped their asses.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I have a mate who is Finnish. he says Soviet Ski troops are all Jessies and that the Fins whupped their asses.

Of course, the Fins have got the up to date gear there is a picture here in this thread
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, pre WW2 the Soviets did indeed attack Finland by parachute no less, the Finns however were better equiped for the cold weather and did indeed whup ass, what's less well known is that this attack was observed by American Military advisors attached to their Finnish Embassy who on return to the US started their paratroops corps
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, that'll be why Finland was under Russian rule for 108 years, then.
ski holidays
richmond, Difficult to have crack ski troops before skiing was invented. 250 million v 5 million. They didnt do bad.

Finnish ski troops were known by the Russians as "Belaya Smjert" which means "White Death". Also the inventors of the "Moltov Cocktail". Well 'ard if you ask me
latest report

Another glorious powder day in Finland
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, fair point. It's even more surprising that they did so well since Finns seem to be permantly pissed. As you can see from the 'photo, one of them fell asleep with a fag on again.

I assume that the Finns invented the Molotov cocktail (a mixture of petrol and sulphuric acid and/or other good things, IIRC) as a drink, and it took the genius of Comrade Molotov to realise it's potential as a weapon.
ski holidays
Quote:

assume that the Finns invented the Molotov cocktail (a mixture of petrol and sulphuric acid and/or other good things, IIRC) as a drink, and it took the genius of Mr Molotov to realise it's potential as a weapon

Laughing Laughing Judging by my mate i think you are right. Here is a good image that shows the terrific gear they used. If you look carefully you can see some B5s, and a pair of Rossi bandits. wink
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I think those are things to stick in the ground to deter charging cavalry, aren't they?
ski holidays
I thought it was a post and rail fance that had been hit by a tank. And I complain about hire skis rolling eyes
ski holidays
It's a survival trick. If you get cold, you can cut the ends off - instant firewood !

Molotov cocktails - nasty version :

"Many substances may be added to the basic Molotov cocktail to enhance its use as a weapon:
Self-inflammatory materials (such as white phosphorus) may be used to guarantee the bottle's explosion as it hits the target surface.
Tar, palm oil, laundry detergent, liquid dish soap, dissolved polystyrene, or other thickening agents are often added to make the burning fluid stick to the target. Tar also helps to make a thick black smoke. In their wars with the Soviet Union, Finnish soldiers often used hand soap suds and tar for this purpose.
Acid may be added to increase both the damage from the explosive device and its ability to penetrate fire-resistant surfaces. "

Molotov cocktail - nicer version :

Ingredients:
1 1/2 oz Vodka
Float 1 splash 151 proof rum
Mixing & drinking instructions:
Pour a shot of vokda (preferably Russian), float the 151, light, blow out, and take the shot down. Very Happy
ski holidays
austin7, I think that second version may be fractionaly less dangerous than the first, but only just Shocked

Molotov coctail were also found to be particularly effective against German tanks in the Warsaw Ghetto, where they were dropped onto the engine air intakes with occasionally spectacular results
latest report
Presumably some (most?) of the alcohol is burned off before you drink, which is prudent, but calls the point of the whole thing into question.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy