Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Adelboden or Crans Montana ?

Poster: A snowHead
I would like to try somewhere I have not previously tried in Switzerland for a week in late January.
These are both reasonable size resorts.
Crans Montana fly/rail sytem only works getting there. You have to lug your bags to the airport yourself on the return leg.
I don't believe there is too much challenging stuff in either resort - but there is quite a lot of piste in both.
Anyone have advice/experience of either of these places ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've know both, Adelboden does have some challenging terrain, more so than Crans Montana. For what it's worth they speak German in Adelboden and French in Crans of course.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Latchigo, Heading off to C-M late Jan. Tried the resort for a short break a couple of winters ago, and marked it for a return visit. Two towns that grew together. Plenty of uplift, a few of the reds are undergraded, so there appear to be few blacks on the map. Sorry I was there in spring, so offpiste was the rockgarden Skullie Ise may know more about the offpiste , I believe that he has skied C-M.
Shame aboutthe fly/rail though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ise,
Quote:

For what it's worth they speak German in Adelboden and French in Crans of course.

How will this little nugget help Latchigo, decide on a ski resort ? Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rather depends on what languages he/she speaks I'd say.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowbunny wrote:
ise,
Quote:

For what it's worth they speak German in Adelboden and French in Crans of course.

How will this little nugget help Latchigo, decide on a ski resort ? Laughing Laughing

Well I can parle francais assez bien - but I have not got a clue about German. I thought 'Geoffnet' was somebodies name for years - I just read the word with a space after the second 'f'. So it is helpful to me.

Equally useful is the news that there is more challenge to the resorts than I thought. I wondered if the skiing might be like Cervinia.

Crans Montana has a SCGB rep, which I put as a plus, but some antis may view as a minus.
Then again, Adelboden may be better if you want to go somewhere not popular on the UK package market.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Latchigo, I learnt to ski in C-M and have been going back for at least two weeks every winter, often more. As you can guess I'm a fan. I find plenty of skiing to keep me content and I spend more time off piste than on.

There's plenty of great and easily accessible off piste on the sides of the run down from the Plaine Morte glacier and also under the new La toula chair, where they have also introduced a couple of decent blacks from last season. There's a superb itiniary which you would want a guide for, called Les Faverges which when the conditions are right is as good as any of the back country around Verbier.

C-M doesn't have much UK package business, Inghams rearely bring in more than 50 guests a week. If you want advice on places to stay etc, tell me what you're looking for and I'm sure I'll be able to make some recommendations. I'm a big fan of Montana rather than Crans. Montana has a lovely homely feel, Crans is a bit more upmarket.

An important issue is when to go. Remember C-M is south facing and although I've had some marvellous spring skiing there, you'd be taking a chance if you were to book for late april a long time in advance.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Latchigo wrote:
Crans Montana has a SCGB rep, which I put as a plus, but some antis may view as a minus.
Then again, Adelboden may be better if you want to go somewhere not popular on the UK package market.

I think you've got that about right, and Steve Sparks makes a good point about Crans, it's south facing which is a mixed blessing, it makes it really pleasent but the snow can suffer.

There's quite a lot of people I know who spend most of the season in Adelboden or Lenk doing hard core off-piste.

For me, Adelboden has the edge but there's not too much in it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Latchigo,
Quote:

I wondered if the skiing might be like Cervinia

No, Cervinia is a cruisy, long lunch in the sunshine resort IMHO. Spent a very pleasant Christmas Day there on a mountain sun terrace eating spag bog and listening to Cosi fan Tutte recorded at the Royal Opera House Cool
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've never been to Adelboden, but have skied Crans twice, both times at the end of Jan. On both occasions the main problem that we have had is too much snow!! This has meant great conditions, but also means that they don't open the glacier. In terms of pisted runs, I'd say that the two (?) blacks there are over graded. I've certainly not found anything challenging. However there is easy access to off piste, which kept me busy.

The main concern I have over the area is that there are three uplifts into the ski area...all of them fairly old gondolas. We lost a full day's skiing due to them all being closed because of "high" winds.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Rather depends on what languages he/she speaks I'd say.

I go to a ski resort to ski. If I fancy a little culture I'll pick a zimmer frei at the roadside, the last one I picked spoke a swiss dialect-we got by.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I Holidayed in Adelboden in 1998 or so with 2 children (7 & 9). Got the package through Inghams but the year later I think they stopped doing Adelboden (nothing to do with me!). The Hotel Stienmattli was excellent, had an Igloo in the grounds which the kids loved and an excellent kids room/creche in the Hotel also, and a nanny/baby-sitter on the staff, the village was very authentic, complete with cows on the street each morning, more or less car free, lots of non-ski things to do, lovely Sleigh-Ride up one of the mountain roads, nice tobbogan field. People very freindly indeed, and very kind to the kids.

Skiing there was also great, there is a world cup event early in Jan next year which was closed when I was there.

I have Adelboden on my list of resorts to re-visit.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well it looks as I will have to try both of them, though probably not in the same year.

Hotels I have considered are called Beau Site in both places. The one in CM says it is between Crans and Montana 300 yards from a lake and 10 minutes from a funicular.

I am thinking I should do Adelboden first and save Crans Montana until they reinstate a two way fly/rail system.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Latchigo, is the fly/rail issue due to the flight times? I know when I've used it (not to CM!) that early flights mean that you have to ship your luggage off the night before.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Latchigo, The Beau site in Montana always looks lovely, I walk past it on my way between Crans and Montana, it's tucked away amidst the trees and is ideally positioned for enjoy both towns on foot. As usual the distance to the lift seems a bit optimistic. I'd guess a 15-20 minute walk to either the Crans or Montana bubble.

Elizabeth B's comment
Quote:

The main concern I have over the area is that there are three uplifts into the ski area...all of them fairly old gondolas. We lost a full day's skiing due to them all being closed because of "high" winds

Wind is a problem in most resorts. I lost a whole day in December last year in Zermatt with the same problem.
ski holidays
Steve Sparks wrote:
As usual the distance to the lift seems a bit optimistic. I'd guess a 15-20 minute walk to either the Crans or Montana bubble.

I think that the time quoted was to the funicular.....which for those of you that aren't aware, takes you down into the valley, not up onto the slopes.
ski holidays
Quote:

is the fly/rail issue due to the flight times? I know when I've used it (not to CM!) that early flights mean that you have to ship your luggage off the night before.

Yes you are right Elizabeth B, and it also can be an issue on the way out if you get your luggage in the post too late (9:00 AM I think) it will not arrive until the next day so keep an overnight bag with you.
ski holidays
Elizabeth B,
Quote:

I think that the time quoted was to the funicular.....which for those of you that aren't aware, takes you down into the valley, not up onto the slopes.

You're quite right! In which case it must be drive time as it's a good 25 minute walk to the funicular station.
latest report
Latchigo, It's a very long time since I skied either, but would recommend Adelboden as it's a much nicer place. CM is effectively a large town and very expensive. To be fair though the last time I was there was summer 1997, but the changes had all been for the worst as far as I was concerned. Ski-ing in both is very pleasant.

snowbunny, Some people do like to practise their language skills and find out what the village is really like. It's obviously easier to go to a resort where they speak a language you can at least attempt. Little Angel
snow report
Elizabeth B wrote:
Latchigo, is the fly/rail issue due to the flight times? I know when I've used it (not to CM!) that early flights mean that you have to ship your luggage off the night before.

I suspect not. I looked in the Kuoni brochure. Both Crans Montana and Villars now have a fly/rail arrangement on the outbound leg, but not going home.

As Kuoni are dealing with scheduled flights, and all are available, I do not think flight times are the issue. Besides neither of these resorts is the most far flung in terms of transfer times.

I have never taken my suitcases onto a Swiss train and a suitcase for skiing is a hefty item.
snow conditions
easiski, Yes, and I would suggest that the last place to look for local culture is in a resort, usually full of seasonal workers from someplace else. I have a house in Spain, how's your Russian or Estonian maybe? Our nearest neighbours are German, and if you say hi to anyone walking past they speak(only) French and all this in a residential area Laughing
ski holidays
Latchigo wrote:
Elizabeth B wrote:

I suspect not. I looked in the Kuoni brochure. Both Crans Montana and Villars now have a fly/rail arrangement on the outbound leg, but not going home.

As Kuoni are dealing with scheduled flights, and all are available, I do not think flight times are the issue. Besides neither of these resorts is the most far flung in terms of transfer times.

I have never taken my suitcases onto a Swiss train and a suitcase for skiing is a hefty item.

Why not login to the SBB website and check? If you email them they'll reply with a definitive answer. I'd not think twice about travelling with luggage on the train personally either.
latest report
snowbunny wrote:
easiski, Yes, and I would suggest that the last place to look for local culture is in a resort, usually full of seasonal workers from someplace else.

That's going to depend where you go skiing Very Happy
snow report
easiski wrote:
Latchigo, CM is effectively a large town and very expensive. To be fair though the last time I was there was summer 1997, but the changes had all been for the worst as far as I was concerned. Ski-ing in both is very pleasant.

I have to say that I think Switzerland is excellent value these days, especially if you want to stay in a decent hotel. Compare it to a major French resort.

I think people have a false notion about the price of ski holidays in Switzerland.

A good Swiss holiday with scheduled flights and luggage free rail transfer is not expensive. If it was, I would probably pay the extra anyway, because to me it is good value.

It does make a difference to me not having to get on a charabanc for three hours with a rep who tries to sell stuff.
snow report
ise, I agree, and the last time I felt immersed in local culture was in Saas Fee. The hotel was quiet and we were invited to sit round the fire with the owning family, whilst the grandfather told us his views on Germans (all of them).easiski, in English. An unusual and memorable experience, but not typical of the ski resorts I have frequented. Laughing
ski holidays
I really believe that the manufactured resorts have no identity, cultural or national, irrespective of where they are situated. The older ski hills, that exist as winter income for the farmers, those that have escaped the attentions of Compagnie des Alpes, MGM or whoever, at least have some variation and local colour. Rant over Smile
ski holidays
ise wrote:

Why not login to the SBB website and check? If you email them they'll reply with a definitive answer. I'd not think twice about travelling with luggage on the train personally either.

I have now checked on this site( Swiss railways).

Fly/Rail is available to 50 stations (not all of them ski resorts) Crans Montana is not one of those stations. A shame.

I wonder how it works on the way out. Does the luggage go to CM for collection or a nearby station ?

I do not fancy lugging cases onto trains on the return leg. For me, that is a chance to wander around Berne or Zurich do some sightseeing and get a bite to eat. If I have cases I will have to stick them in left luggage en route.
snow conditions
Latchigo, probably because as far as I can tell Crans Montana does not have a railway station the nearest appears to be Sierre/Siders from there apparently you need to take a bus, why not contact wherever you are staying and ask them, I expect they will know
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf, that's right, Crans is up the side of a hill, a taxi would do it or a post bus.

Latchigo, I'd probably go to Adelboden, it's the best skiing in Berne probably Very Happy And Berne is a really nice city, go see the parliament and see what "small government" is really about, there's some nice restaurants nearby as well.
latest report
So no station and there's me thinking a Swiss version of Dr Beeching had rationalised the services. Probably the same at Villars which also offers outbound only fly/rail.

Berne is indeed a lovely city. I remember the bearpit from a schooldays visit.
This year I went back but the cathedral was closed and I could not wait for the English language tour of the parliament. Nice restaurants and shops though and, like Zurich, good views over the river.
snow report
Latchigo, Try SMC. Compagnie de Chemin de Fer et d'Autobus www.cie-smc.ch
My liftmap show what looks like a cog railway finishing up near La Combaz district in Montana, shown as on the free bus route. Also check www.crans-montana.ch if you have'nt done so already.
ski holidays
CM doesn't have a train station...but the funicular links into Sierre....where there is a train station. Both times I've been I've hired a car, but a friend did it by rail and had no problems. We were however staying 2 mins walk from the top of the funicular!!
snow conditions
There's a little shuttle bus that takes you from the SBB dstation in Sierre to the bottom of the funicular or it's about a 500m walk. The funicular then takes you up to the eastern end of Montana in about 20 minutes. If you're staying in Crans you're still a 15 minute taxi away, but in Montana less than 5. There is (of course this being Switzerland) a post bus waiting to meet the train that takes you into Montana via Crans. Probably about 40 mins from Sierre to Montana.
snow report
Ive been to both in December.

Adelboden has it for me, much nicer village, less sprawly and mainly historic wooden buildings rather than the more modern C-M, which is as much a golf resort and health spa place in summer.

More bars/restaurants choice in C-M though, and it does have a nice lake (not that most people need a lake on a skiing holiday).

Gondola up to Plaine Morte above Montana one of the more spectacular youll ride in. Plaine Morte one of the most beautiful glaciers youll see, saucer shaped.

I found both very expensive (dont subscribe to the 'if its cheaper than France then its wonderful' theory) Sadly only a minimal amount of pistes/ number of lifts open in both mid December, despite there being scope for much more.

Either should be good in January though.
latest report
Latchigo, silly question but have you done Wengen, Murren and Grindelwald yet ? Only you can do fly rail to all 3 with no problems (both directions), Wengen and Murren are both prettier than Adleboden but not by huge amounts
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
Latchigo, silly question but have you done Wengen, Murren and Grindelwald yet ? Only you can do fly rail to all 3 with no problems (both directions), Wengen and Murren are both prettier than Adleboden but not by huge amounts

Fair question.

Yes I have done Wengen. Stayed in the Bernerhof which was inexpensive and well placed. Walked around the Falken too, with some Northerners who had stayed there on an earlier visit. They reckoned it was like Fawlty Towers. It was certainly quaint. It was the week of the Lauberhorn race. We were in a bar with an Austrian skier and his considerable entourage. We had no idea who he was, but he turned out to be Hannes Trinkl. People were taking his photos . Some jokers in the party thought it would be a good idea to get him to take our pictures. Snow was not great that year, but it dumped down the Friday. We left on the Saturday. There was good little bar called Terry's bar, if I remember correctly, staffed by an Antipodean who came back every year. First time I ever tried curling as well.

Stayed in Grindelwald this year - at the Lauberhorn which is a good walk out from town but is good value.

I have not stayed in Murren yet, though I have skied it. It looks very quiet. A meal in the revolving restaurant on a good day is a memorable experience and not expensive either.

I have not stayed in Interlaken either and, on reacquainting myself with the train service, I think it would be too far from the skiing for me - but you can get some very good deals on hotels.
snow conditions
D G Orf, by contrast, silly question Very Happy But, have you skied Abelboden/Lenk ? Very Happy
snow report
Latchigo, I'd not stay in Interlaken to go skiing but yes there are some good deals to be had in the area, the Falken is slowly improving due at least in part to the fact that the roof is now watertight Shocked Oh and you do remember the name of the bar correctly. snowHead

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 17-07-05 18:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
ise, No although I have visited Adelboden in the summer, it was very quiet wink
latest report
Flims is another good size Swiss resort that I would like to try.

It is not in many package brochures.

The train station (if there is one)does not seem to feature Fly/Rail either.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy