Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurostar expands snowtrain service

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Today's Sunday Times reports that Eurostar will increase the availability of snowtrains in February 2006, with extra trains on the Waterloo-Bourg St Maurice service for three consecutive weekends.

Click here for report.

But still no direct return travel to other French destinations, overnight sleeper services (it's said that Eurostar's intended fleet of sleeper trains was sold), or travel to Switzerland/Austria.

For anyone looking to explore connections to alternative destinations, the independent website seat61.com is very informative.

Any comments on the future of skiing by rail?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Doing a search on the internet does indeed sugest that the Eurostar sleepers were sold to Canada of all places, I did read somewhere that there is a plan to run trains to the Austrian Tyrol this winter via Brussels unfortunately I can't find the story at the moment.

It's important that the fares are reasonable, at the moment if you get a train in France the fares are really very cheap compared to the UK, unfortunately not all train opperating companies are as reasonable.

If I were trying to run a decent snow train service I think I'd use the Eurostar to Brussels with an onward sleeper train (preferably to the standard of the City Night Line trains) to say Austria and Switzerland, it might be possible to run a train down to Italy as well (there used to be one from Brussels to Milan) but I'm not sure how well Italien ski resorts are linked to their rail network

Cost is a huge factor, this year I'm flying from Southampton to Berne because much as I prefer going by train I can do the flights for just £35 one way, that's about the same as it costs for a long period return ticket to London, last year I went by train to Switzerland, train to London, Eurostar to Paris, one stop on the metro, Sleeper from Paris to Basle, walk through Basle station, train from Basle to Interlaken Ost, then mountain railway to Lauterbrunnen and Wengen, I left home at about 2pm and got to Wengen about 9am the next morning. It's a long trip made worse by long waits at Paris and getting up at 4.45am at Basle, in the dim and distant past it was possible to go from Calais to Interlaken Ost without changing trains, in the not so distant past it was possible to go from Brussels to Spiez (on the Milan train) without changing trains. Sadly at the moment despite the excellent rail networks of Europe getting a train from London to most European ski resorts is not a practicle alternative especially for families lugging kids as well as baggage with them
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy