Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back Protectors

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I must admit I would question the utility of the average piste skier purchasing and wearing back protection. The rate of serious injury in skiing is low. There are obvious exceptions to this and skiing rocky couloirs and adventurous stuff in the terrain park may well increase risks considerably. But for most people I suspect to protect yourself from trauma you are probably as well wearing it in the car as on the slopes.

Paradoxically if you increase the risks you take as a result of wearing back protection you may increase your chanced of paralysis as broken necks cause more spinal cord injuries than broken backs.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just got home from a Slush n Rubble trip. Purchased a Dainese Nextwave 2 Back Protector. As snowHead have mentioned they seem very light, and, yes, I can still get my ski jacket done up Laughing . This means that I have no valid excuse to go buy a new jacket Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowbunny, I've also got one in their sales, mail order, but I'm not sure it's the right size. Where does it fit "to and from" on your back.

I'm sure it's a bit big.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
marc gledhill, There is a measurement guide, in the booklet that should have been provided. Lots of foreign languages, but a bit in English. If you don't have it, PM me, and I'll explain how to do the measurement, and what the sizes are, for the different models. Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowbunny, Dainese have got to be the worst manufacturer I've come across when trying to figure out their sizing. Even their chart is difficult to use as it's based upon waist to shoulder line. Where exactly is ones waist line? Would have been far far better to use a defined point, say level with the point of the hip bone. The model nos on their packaging also do not match the booklet.

marc gledhill, I presume that you have the one shown in the new S&R catalogue on p.254 item 4 (velcro waistband & elasticated shoulder straps, available in white or grey) which is the Nextwave Pro 05. It's available in four sizes as follows:
XL = Nextwave 4/05 = 44 - 51cm waist - shoulder height
L = Nextwave 3/05 = 41.5 - 47cm
M = Nextwave 2/05 = 37.5 - 41.3cm
S = Nextwave 1/05 = 37.5 - 38cm

I've got the XL 4/05 model. My wasit to shoulder line measurement is 44/46cm depending upon where it's taken so I fell in between the overlap between the XL & L sizes. I tried both models & they both felt ok with my jacket on over the top. When trying them you need to slacken off the elasticated shoulder straps so they're not loose but they also haven't any tension in them either, otherwise the straps try to pull the protector up your back.

The XL is slighter longer than the L & the same width. I went for the XL as it felt equally as good & it came a couple of cm higher & lower than the L so I thought I might as well have the maximum protection. However you need to check that you can still sit down ok & more importantly to try, the snowskirt on your jacket must fit underneath the bottom edge ok & not try to pull the protector up your back. That's the most important reason for trying them with your jacket on & fully fastened.

You're a bit taller than me & probably have a slightly longer torso so I reckon the XL will be right for you providing your snowskirt goes over ok. But if you have the L it'll still be fine. If you have the L & want to try my XL let me know & I'll bring it up to the Lions night.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon,

Yup, the sizing chart is really confusing. I know where my waistline is though, since I don't have a beer belly Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowbunny wrote:
Yup, the sizing chart is really confusing. I know where my waistline is though....

So do I. I just haven't seen my feet for a while Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, thanks for that, I've actually gone for the waistcoat thing rather than the strap-on Shocked and it is in XL, but feels a bit big.

So what did you regard as your waist? Top of the hip bone?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marc gledhill,
Quote:

and it is in XL, but feels a bit big

You could always grow into it Laughing
Quote:

So what did you regard as your waist? Top of the hip bone?

I do believe that thats a wee bit low for the waist wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think I meant pelvic bone - that bit that sticks out and hold yer trollies up is what I meant. Blush
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marc gledhill, I think that EB's at Castleford stock the Core Vest so you could try the other sizes there.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marc gledhill, Called in at EB's today & they do stock the Core Vest.

Luckily my new back protector didn't touch the snow at today's bumps clinic but I was mighty glad I was wearing it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowbunny wrote:
srobbo, Fraid so, "only" a broken collarbone from a side on impact which took 16 weeks to heal. Left me feeling quite vulnerable, so I have decided to investigate protecting the other bits that tend not to heal. Already wear a helmet.

I think once you get to a certain vunrebility you need to protect yourself. I wear a back protector and a camel back (Which when full provides a soft landing) i find that with out it a fall on a rail right on my tail bone is a lot more painful Shocked. I too wear a helmet but it often heats up a little too much for me. So I find myself not wearing it sometimes, and that is usually when I get hurt. Embarassed

If anyone is looking for board or ski equipment I have an outdoors search engine launching on Nov 1st

http://www.therugged.com
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi guys - I've just whizzed throught this thread, so if I have missed some key point forgive me.
I too am a backpack wearer (and like arcticfox, my Scarpa has built-in back protection). It will not necessarily help me if I fall down Ise's rocky gully (only full body armour would be any help there), but it has dulled the blow on a number occasions when run into from behind.
But I am fascinated by the general drift here - the impression is almost that all off-piste skiers need body armour.
I think that unless you are into Extreme stuff or Racing, then extra armour is probably unecessary.
The point about being careful with what you put in the backpack though is well made. But its not just backpacks you need to worry about: you need to be careful what you put in your jacket as well. I understand a common nasty rib injury is caused by falling on a camera or mobile phone lodged in a jacket pocket.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy