Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back Protectors

Poster: A snowHead
After a woman knocked 6 bells out of me last winter, I'm considering buying a back protector. How bulky are they under jackets? Any snowHead using them regularly?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowbunny,
Quote:
After a woman knocked 6 bells out of me last winter

Presume that was actually on the piste.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
srobbo, Fraid so, "only" a broken collarbone from a side on impact which took 16 weeks to heal. Left me feeling quite vulnerable, so I have decided to investigate protecting the other bits that tend not to heal. Already wear a helmet.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unfortunately I suffered something similar in 2004, which resulted in ligament/muscle damage on my shoulder. Still have issues even 16 months later, BUT took the view that accidents will always happen, so have not looked at any further protection.
Modern back protectors are slim and light so should not impact on any movement, and would guess that they are reasonably comfortable when worn.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowbunny, As an alternative to a back protector have you considered skiing with a backpack?

Whilst protection is obviously not a backpack's primary function I feel mine offers me quite a high level of protection, especially with the bladder pack installed.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
srobbo, Sorry to hear that you are still suffering after so long. I was told by a consultant recently,that I now have crepitus in the shoulder joint. He's promised to inject it, I did'nt ask what with, if it does'nt heal. That'll be fun-not Crying or Very sad With a back protector on,I am concerned that my jacket will be too tight, or that I will look like a shortarse version of quasimodo wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowbunny, I wear mine nearly all the time. I Wouldn't go anywhere steep or off piste without it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wear one mostly as well, they're not very obstrusive, mine's the from Dainese, the Nextwave model, the point of this is that it's articulated so the coccyx protecttion moves as your body does. For my money, you need this if you're going to bother with a protector at all, these are best skiing, some of the others are more for MTB's.

spyderjon, your sack won't protect the coccyx area and moves way too much to provde protection. I'm concerned about hitting rocks bouncing down a gully
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ise wrote:
your sack won't protect the coccyx area and moves way too much to provde protection. I'm concerned about hitting rocks bouncing down a gully

Fair point.

I prefer to ski with a pack when I'm out for the day rather than jam everything in to my pockets. I'm also trying to get used carrying a shovel & probe as often as possible. I also find I easily get hot.

What's it like, heat & comfort wise wearing a back protector when you're also carrying a backpack?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowbunny wrote:
srobbo, I am concerned that my jacket will be too tight wink

Buy a bigger jacket (soory just couldn't resist) Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mrs FTS never rides (nags not boards)) without her back protector. Seem very sensible if you have a pre existing injury or are lacking confidence. Sweat is the only issue. They are not that bulky.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, I use a rucksack most days anyway, its amazing how much lunch can hurt when I fall over Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Re. the jacket fit. You are all slipping here, no one has suggested that I lose weight-yet Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ise, The one that I am considering is a Dainese core vest 03 6 plate,New Wave ventilated, do you use similar? Any probs?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowbunny, I wear a sixsixone mountain bike jacket, which is a light weight mesh construct with neoprene padding and has moulded plastic shoulder, elbow, forearm protection, the articulated plastic spine protector is detactable with neoprene padding around the kidney area, and doesn't effect movement I got it from wiggle.com which is an online cycle retailer it cost me £113, but they have discounts that vary each month so it might be cheaper or more expensive. I know it's a little expensive, but I think it is worth it as I have a slight injury to my left shoulder.
snow report
davidb, Thanks for the tip,just looked at the site and not too much difference in price between those and Dainese
latest report
I use a dainese back protector, adds a bit of warmth but you dont notice they are on. Try eBay usually a lot on there. The vest body armours are a bit bulky, but if your wanting to be indestructable
latest report
snowbunny wrote:
ise, The one that I am considering is a Dainese core vest 03 6 plate,New Wave ventilated, do you use similar? Any probs?

That's something I'd see as being more for racers personally, it's pretty hardcore. I just wear a NextWave, just the protector with shoulder and waist straps.
ski holidays
After a pretty scary excursion over some serious rocks I bought a dainese 05 core jacket, it's not as full on as the core vest - much more subtle! It has the new-wave backplate(which you can remove), and soft padding around the neck, shoulders, arms, and kidneys incorporated into the windstopper jacket. It's a good mid layer which I haven't found causes me any problems with overheating, and is so comfortable you wouldn't really notice the heavy backplate. It was pretty expensive (I got it when in Canada but bizzarely had it sent from S&R here!), but worth it as I have since backflipped into a tree and it turned what would have been a nasty incident into a bit of a laughing matter (thought I could get out a ditch that was just a bit too steep on the sides - park and fly job! snowHead ). Use it all the time if I'm going to be skiing anything with a good chance of going over some rocks. I've also used it for race training (without the backplate in) as it takes the sting out of hitting the gates - but not out of the coaches hitting you to test out the padding! Shocked snowHead
ski holidays
stuarth, Shocked Good to hear that you survived intact, How is the tree? I believe that your post supports ise's earlier comment about these being for racers, or hard core skiers. I don't put myself into either category Cool
ise, I had a look at the Nextwave protector spec, they look quite flat (ie not bulky-good), is yours a discontinued model? S&R say they no longer stock them I have also found a dearth of sizing info (how big is small!)
ski holidays
snowbunny, it's the latest model, only from last season. The nextwave is articulated while the shield's are not.
latest report
ise, http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/products/EDIEE.htm Puzzled New one on it's way in perhaps

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 10-07-05 19:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
snowbunny, Another option is the T-Pro Forcefield.
http://www.tprobodyarmour.co.uk/ff_back.html
It seems comfortable but I've only worn it as a trial on dry slopes so far.
They were at the London Ski Show last year.
snow report
mesk1, Looks interesting, thanks for the link. Have you found it flexible enough? Does it look as if it could stand a hit from a sharp rock? I see that it has been designed for motorcyclists, possibly better at protecting in a tarmac slide situation. It's a good competetive price though.
latest report
snowbunny, It is fairly flexible cold and moulds to your bodyshape as it warms up. It fits underneath clothing with no problems. From what I've read it should protect from penetrative blows, the body armour world seems to split into hard and soft shell solutions both with pros and cons.
Another option I looked at was backpacks with built in protection such as -
http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=6_166&products_id=1842
snow report
snowbunny, only skimmed it again, but we had a brief discussion about this a while back:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=11423
snow conditions
PG, Thanks, interesting reading about the Dainese stuff being deformable/use and replace. my search goes on.
ski holidays
snowbunny, There's little difference between tarmac/road furniture and white concrete/piste furniture so the gear's pretty interchangeable. The new Dainese stuff needs a big hit to render it needing replacement so unless you're planning to get big air or ride the rails, you shouldn't have to worry about repair/replacement. It is beautifully made . . . and you pay for that and you don't notice you're wearing it. You can get some iffy looks at the bar . . . as in pretentious w****r, but I can live with that every time I have to pick myself up.
Be careful though, you can develop 'Volvo Syndrome'.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, 20 years of riding motorcycles, fell off loads of times, no broken bones. Perhaps I'm getting old! Without upsetting any snowHead Volvo owners, can you expand on "Volvo Syndrome" please. I'm assuming that you have failed to carry out destruction testing on your Dainese kit? Laughing
snow report
snowbunny, I'm a Volvo driver (S60 Turbo company car) and I think Masque is getting at the false sense of security all the surrounding safety features can engender in some folks. SIPS, WHIPS, 8 airbags, crumple zones, absorbent materials, traction control, ABS etc etc etc. Fortunately, apart from feeling the ABS working during hard braking, I've never had to put any of the rest to the test. wink
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, Ah thanks. all becomes clear now. I think I found my personal crumple zone a bit wanting Laughing
latest report
Lidl have some cheap motorbike back protectors at the moment.
snow conditions
I'm always wary of the word cheap when it comes to safety equipment. Generally I find that you get what you pay for.
ski holidays
Kramer, Most of the motorcyle ones, seem to be mouldable, but not necessarily flexible, I don't want to look like a Mutant Ninja Turtle. Can you just visualise me sliding down the slope on my back, arms and legs in the air a la turtle wink Laughing
latest report
FWIW, I have a Dainese day sack with built in (but removeable) back armour. They used to be sold by S&R, but I can't see any mention of them now. Enough room for a day's worth of ancillaries (Probe, Shovel, Camelback, Spare Hat, Goggles/Shades, 1st Aid kit), and the back protection if at all noticeable helps support the pack.
ski holidays
arcticfox, Interesting, thanks, 1st time I have heard of a backpack with this option. Can't find any trace of them on the Dainese sites though.
snow conditions
You could always strap a small child to your back in one of those baby backpack things? I presume the parents are thinking of themselves when they do that anyway- might aswell get an added bonus!
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, Good, if slightly wicked idea. Mind you at the rate I fall over, I would need to order 2 dozen since they would probably be only as good as car airbags. Twisted Evil
snow report
ise wrote:
spyderjon, your sack won't protect the coccyx area and moves way too much to provde protection. I'm concerned about hitting rocks bouncing down a gully

I guess it depends on the sack but the fiancee of a ski friend had a fall this spring while wearing his day sack containing usual kind of gear and has broken one of his disks so I agree that a sack shouldn't be considered as serious back protection.
ski holidays
davidof,
Quote:

broken one of his disks

Was this injury a fractured vertebrae, or a damaged disc please?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy