Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

News boots and my thighs are killing me - Exercises to cure

Poster: A snowHead
Just discovered this forum today.

I've been skiing for ~18 years. I don't get to ski that often to be honest, usually 4 or 5 days each year, double that last year. I guess I'm a bit of a fitness nut. I cycle typically 100+ miles per week (on a turbo trainer in the winter, roads in summer) and run typcially between 12+ miles a week (and around 25 miles a week in summer). I'm not an aggressive skier, pretty tame to be honest, but love it. Do blue and red runs in Scotland. Never had any leg problems skiing before, to be honest with my running and cycling, I didn't expect any.

I got new ski boots 2 years back. And since then, on steeper slopes, my thigh muscles are killing me as I do turns. I expected this when I ogt new boots, however expected this to disappear after 4 or 5 day trips. Now 2 years and 15+ trips later, still get the leg pain.

Anyone any ideas why this has happened and any particular exercises I can do to solve this?

(I did talk to a physio about this, and he wondered if the position my new boots were holding me in was different to the older pair - anyone else came across this problem before?)

thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
StephenS, What are the boots? Where did you get them? Do you have a lack of dorsiflexion, are the boots too stiff for you? Do you ski at speed with a high din on your bindings?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi StephenS, welcome to snowHead s
The most common cause of thigh-burn is that your weight is not far enough forward.
I wonder if your old boots either had more give in them or had a greater forward canting at the ankle such that you were actually in a better skiing position.
It may be something that is adjustable in the boots, or you may have been sold some that are too stiff for your skiing style.
Would advise a visit to a good bootfitter (e.g. SMALLZOOKEEPER if in French Alps or CEM if you are anywhere near Bicester at all).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks folks for the quick replies. Very insightful, thanks

My olde boots were Rossignol R97. These were rear entry boots I purchased in 1994 (or thereabouts). Was very comfortable in these but they didn't have much flex. I decided 2 years back to get a new pair, so that I would have much flex

My new boots are Nordica Sport Machine 10 boots (2009 model)

Smallzookeeper, I don't think I have lack of dorsiflexion (now that I looked up what this is). My ankle seems very flexible. I don't ski that fast, wish I could! Problem is more acute on steeper slopes. Din setting is 5

I did go to a good ski shop (Nevis Range in Glasgow) to get these, so I hope that I did get good advice. I wonder if the boots are set wrong. Looks like I can possibly change the canting, at least there looks like something I can modify there with an alan key, could that be possible?). I have the boot set to "soft" which I understand that this should give me more flex.

Anyone know a good boot fitter I can visit in the Glasgow area, or central Scotland for that matter, for advice? I will be in Italy for my first ski holiday abroad for a long time in a few weeks, so hope to get this problem at least understood by then! I hope to have a few days skiing in Scotland before then, and I was even thinking about going back to my old boots to see how they felt

Based upon what I say above, any advice/insight? Any suggestions to change the boot settings?

thx again for insight, very interesting that you both say that the boots are perhaps too stiff, when I had hope to get a boot that was more flexible
StephenS
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
StephenS, I would definitely be looking at your posture on your skis with the new boots, like Freddie Paellahead, mentioned the chances are that you are lacking the degree of ankle flex that you previously had or that you are over compensating for the feeling of additional ankle flex with too much bending at your knees , which is pushing your 'bum out the back'

As the slope angle increases the degree to which your weigh is pushed rearwards increases and the strain on your thighs increases if you do not counter this by moving your posture forward. It may well be that because of good leg strength your posture is being compensated for on the more gentle slope but the problems only start to cause you pain whan you move to steeper terrain. When your skiing can you say definitely that you are keeping your shin on the front of the boot cuff?

I think that maybe the answer lies not in exercises to strengthen further your clearly well exercised leg muscles but in an hour of one to one time with a good instructor to look at your skiing and assess your posture in your new boots
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Spent some time with both pairs of boots this evening (wife not amused!) new boots definitely push me forward more than older boots, slightly more flex (not too much more).

Canting does look set incorrectly for me, but don't think that will make a difference to my problem above, or will it?

Could it be a posture issue (while skiing) on my part ?

(PS Ski shop was Nevis Sport, not Nevis Range)

thx again,
StephenS
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
StephenS, I do think that posture may be a key point here as it would seem unlikely that fitness or muscle tone are underlying causes fo you
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks kevindonkleywood, Again good advice from this forum. Good idea on the 1:1 ski lesson, I will do that. Does make sense, I will need to make sure that weight is on the shin. Think I need someone to video me!
Hope to get skiing next week , will let you know how I get on
Thanks for all advice, much appreciated
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And it's not just you Stephen snowHead I've had something similar in the past, when the new boots are angled to be more forward at the ankle than you are used to I think it's tempting to react by leaning back against them (as otherwise you feel too forward), instead of forward into them. Let us know how the lesson goes! aj xx
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Think I need someone to video me!

One of the very best ways of improving your skiing is to have some video as part of a lesson.

Or you could be brave and post a clip or two in BZK, folk are usually fairly helpfull
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yes, I think that is what I need to do! Don't think I will like it, but it's what's needed
Thanks!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had a similar issue which CEM diagnosed as too much forward lean due to my largish calf size relative to the boot size. The degree of forward lean was causing me to stick my bum out to compensate which put my quads in permanent tension hence thigh burn. He flared out the back of the boot cuffs to accommodate my calves so my shins were in the right position. This sorted out most of the problem leaving me with just my poor technique and woeful level of fitness to address.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mmm interesting ... I also have large calf muscles due to the amt of cycling and running I do. Think I need to get myself video'd ... mmmm

Thanks for all replies, sign of a good forum and good people!

StephenS
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Stephen,

I would be interested in hearing how you got on with the ski lesson....I had a similar issue this year which oddly enough only affected me on two days of the holiday.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hello Stephen,
My personal experience is that to buy that kind of the shoes that is best to my foot's and relax in walking and skiing.... I think that alway's choose the best fit thighs and shoes....... Now choose the best one foot wear for your foots....
snow report
Hi all,

Got skiing for the first time on Sunday at Glenshee, had a lesson. Didn't get video'd however did receive excellent feedback from the instructor. I'm definitely leaning back too much.

Had a fantastic day at Glencoe yesterday (see
http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2660 for photos and video)

I put some of the lesson into practice, and that certainly helped take pressure off my thighs a bit - however not always, but definitely better on the steeper slopes. I can't always seem to get my shin on the front cuff of my boots, I still seem to lean back, even though i try - guess I need to practice leaning forward - any tips?

But when I do get my shin on the front cuff of my boots, it helps. I do think it's posture rather than the boots- the boots are comfortable enough on my feet.

I'm off to Cervinia in a few weeks, so plenty time to practice and get some extra lessons. Will let you know how I get on after that!

thanks all for the responses
Stephen S
ski holidays
meant to add - I also corrected the canting, not sure if that helps but overall a much better day yesterday
snow report
Guys
been meaning to post back to close this off, out of mind since the ski season ended. I did have a great ski holiday in Cervinia, most of the time I managed to avoid the thigh burning, except towards the end of the day when I was tired and/or going on v steep slopes where my technique, while improved, is not quite there yet. One day we skied over 60 km according to the instructor (into Switzerland and back and more!) ... I couldn't have done this a few months back, so thanks for the advice. I made some minor modifications to my boot setting (canting), however I am more convinced that it was correcting my posture that made the difference. Thanks all for advice and help andI'll be back in this forum next season! (counting the weeks and months already Happy )

thanks again all
Stephen
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy