Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European Union launches two-year study to reduce ski accidents

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The European Union, concerned at the number of accidents on Europe's snow slopes, has announced a two-year research project on the problem. The focus of the study will be on who pays for rescue and treatment, and how the rules of the mountains can be reinforced. The objective is to reduce the number of injuries.

This report from The Guardian.

I wonder if we'll move to a system of licensed and qualified snow-sliders? No licence, no lift pass.

Any thoughts on that, or other issues involved here?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hopefully the reserach will cover the piste/skiers ratio and piste design and the effect of both on accident numbers.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They'd do more good to look at other sports, football for example or rugby, both of which I'm lead to believe have higher accident rates
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, Go back a way and you'll see I suggested just that. present a basic international cert. of competence (FIS) or no lift pass.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, How interesting. Is 250,000 accidents a lot? No idea myself. How many skier-days are there in the EU?

Licences of at least having an awareness of safe skiing seems like a good idea - although I don't want to add yet another document to my wallet.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
How would this work? I believe that the mountains in (most?) EU countries are open access. You only buy a lift pass to avoid walking up them prior to skiing them. If you were barred a licence & still wanted to ski, all you would have to do is put on the skins & walk. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch wrote:
David Goldsmith, How interesting. Is 250,000 accidents a lot? No idea myself. How many skier-days are there in the EU?

Licences of at least having an awareness of safe skiing seems like a good idea - although I don't want to add yet another document to my wallet.

I'am sure TB will add it to the New Compulsory ID card! That'll £400 please including your winter sports ID sir!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When will the nanny state leave us alone. I do this because its dangerous. If i smash myself into several bits and its through my fault then fair enough.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
2plank, Probably because all those people "employed" by us need something to justify their existence Confused
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
2plank, I'd be happy to think that someone, somewhere, could stop you "smashing yourself into several bits" when enjoying an activity "because it's dangerous", anywhere in my vicinity. And I presume you don't expect others to risk their lives, or spend their scarce resources, digging you out of holes and putting you back together again? The family of skiers who have been killed or badly injured in collisions caused by people who don't give a damn and ski way outside their skill level are not the only people who would disagree with your attitude. I agree that the state should not stop people taking risks when third parties are not involved, but that is often not the case on crowded ski slopes. Should people be allowed to drive around too fast on roads "because it's dangerous"?

However, the questions about the real accident rates are relevant and interesting. Could we find a way of comparing the real risks of ski-ing with other sports? I would welcome an analysis of where the greatest dangers are (probably not on the most difficult slopes, but maybe in the most crowded conditions, or when snow cover is poor?). And do some resorts have a much worse record than others? (Where does 2plank go on holiday?)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Woah there pamela some hell of a nasty large assumptions and taking of comments far too literally on your behalf. Skiing is more than twice down the blue and a glass of pimms love.

Completely agree with your stand point and i am firmly of the policy of if you take me out youd best hope i dont get up to dispense with some justice
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
2 plank. I hope I didn't make any "nasty large assumptions". Apologies, if I did. But it is the state's job (the law's job) to act on behalf of people who are "taken out", or knocked down on the road, or otherwise damaged by lack of care from others. The injured parties might not be able to get up to "dispense with some justice" by which you mean, I imagine, knock their block off. Maybe they're four years old, maybe they're scared witless or maybe they're dead. And even if they're not, god preserve us from lynch mob "justice" on the piste. If you think that was my standpoint I obviously didn't express it very well.

Which part of your post was not meant to be taken literally? I hope your patronising comment about pimms is tongue in cheek..... reminds me of a very funny Alan Partridge moment. Would you have written that if I was called Pete W? Actually, my real name is Rocky, I am 6'6" tall and weigh 200lbs. And I don't drink Pimms. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am not literally out to smash myself into pieces.

I agree that the pigs on planks need to be controlled and i hate the association with skiing fast and being dangerous. The lack of control and awareness is the worst thing going. Throw speed into this equation and its lethal. This usually indicates stupidity and so any response shoud be on a base level

As for the pimms, probably would have left it in Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Unfortunately, when the EU get involved, it invariably means a loss of freedom and greater restriction.... this is not exactly good news for skiing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy