Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

London will stage the 2012 (Non Winter!) Olympics

Poster: A snowHead
It's just gone out on BBC Radio 4, as a news flash.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 6-07-05 12:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And it's all over BBC1, mind you there's going to be a few unhappy French arround Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm finding it impossible to get onto the International Olympic Committee's website: www.olympic.org

It would be fun to reproduce their statement in their own words. Can anyone else succeed?

Anyway, a(nother) pretty stunning result for:
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm very happy about this for some reason. A big cheer went up in our office but I suspect it may be because we beat the French Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fantastic news for London and the UK.

What fun to shaft "mad cow" Chirac so soon after his bad food day recently Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great news - especially for the French Winter Olympians! Far more chance of their 2014 bid to host the games going through now!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PG wrote:
Great news - especially for the French Winter Olympians! Far more chance of their 2014 bid to host the games going through now!

Which city is bidding?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK so lets now support getting Squash (My regular day sport) elected into 2012 Olympics http://www.worldsquash.org/olympics.asp
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar.org.uk, Albertville and Grenoble I think are the main contenders. I posted to either SnowHeads or SnowRacers or both on the subject a while back, I'll check.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton, I propose grass skiing wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The IOC voting procedure is particularly interesting in its elimination procedure. In the successive rounds of voting, Moscow, New York and Madrid were eliminated, one by one, in that order. Apparently there was then a one-hour delay while the delegates weighed up the merits of London and Paris.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith wrote:
Apparently there was then a one-hour delay while the delegates weighed up the merits of London and Paris.

No, all the voting took place at the same time. Then there was a one hour delay will they re-set the hall ready for the announcement. The actual voting took place quite quickly (once they'd tested the Who Wants to be a Millionaire-style electronic voting system).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This just in... some of our track and field atheletes have been selected. They are:
Seb Coe
Steve Cram
Steve Ovett
Roger Bannister
Daley Thompson

The relay races will be run by teams who will be picked on the morning of the race, to surprise the other countries involved, but rumours are that the mens 4x400 will be:
John Prescott
Jonny Wilkinson
David Blunkett
Bill Beaumont

The chairman of selectors just called me from New Zealand with that information. His name was Edward Woodward, or Sir Clive Sinclair, or something like that.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
PG wrote:

Which city is bidding?

From the SnowRacers forum:
Quote:
Gap in the southern French Alps has announced that it intends putting itself forward as the third French candidate for the Winter Olympics. Not for a few years yet, but if Paris doesn't get the Summer Olympics in 2012, each hopes to win the race to host the Games in 2014.

A feasibility study was announced today by the new commission, chaired by Luc Alphand, which is to present its findings early 2005. Gap, a small town of some 38,000 inhabitants, is nonetheless larger than Lillehammer, which hosted the 1994 Games.

Both Annecy and Grenoble have also stated that they are keen to host the 2014 Games. All three will wait until the success or failure of the Paris bid for 2012 has been announced next July before presenting their projects. Should Paris be successful, they will delay their bids for another four years.
ski holidays
Chirac will be choking on his haggis at Gleneagles tonight. Presumably he be seated opposite Mr B. doing his best Cheshire cat impression.
latest report
Rob, if I've mis-reported it I apologise (I wasn't monitoring it live). This is how BBC Online is now reporting it, which I think is the gist of what I transcribed from a radio report:
Quote:
All five bidding cities gave final 45-minute presentations to the IOC members before the vote began.

The electronic ballot started at 1126 BST. Moscow, New York and Madrid were eliminated from the race in the first, second and third rounds of voting.

The final round of voting finished at about 1145 BST, with the committee reconvening at 1230 BST for the official announcement.

IOC president Jacques Rogge revealed the winner after a nerve-wracking wait at 1249 BST.

From that, you seem to be right that the one-hour delay (now given by the BBC as 45 mins) wasn't to do with the voting but there do seem to have been four distinct rounds of elimination.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
...there do seem to have been four distinct rounds of elimination.

There were four rounds of voting. It was a variation of single transferable vote, with IOC members allowed to change there 2nd, 3rd and 4th preferences after each round of voting. One way to look at it was a very sophisicated electorate, with a finely tuned electoral system. Another way to look at it is that IOC members voted for the city that their wives would most like to shop in Wink
ski holidays
Ah!
Well their first port of call should therefore be

Especially if they were here today!
ski holidays
Apparently London beat Madrid in Round 3 by just TWO votes. Two votes from being eliminated!
snow conditions
Allegedly London got it based on the support it could offer to the atheletes. When comapred to London, Paris just doesn't have anywhere near the same size drugs network. wink
snow conditions
Remind me to spike your London Pride next time I meet you, DB. What's your preference?

Here's what the French news agency Agence France Presse has to say:
http://www.afp.com/english/news/stories/050706123334.qtcw591e.html
A very balanced and fair report I'd say.
DB can post the Manchester Evening News's story!
ski holidays
David Goldsmith,

My preference would be that you actually get a round in next time wink

The shop won't deliver the Manchester evening news here, they came up with some excuse that it's a bit far for the paperboy to go on his bike.

Well done London. I haven't been this emotional since Bucks Fizz win the European Song contest in '81. snowHead
snow conditions
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
DB, for sure. The beer will be waiting for you at the synchronised swimming quarter-finals (have already bought you a front-row ticket). Mark it in your 2012 diary.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk, It was Paris not London that nearly went out in R3.

First round

London 22
Paris 21
Madrid 20
New York 19
Moscow 15 (eliminated)

Second round

Madrid 32
London 27
Paris 25
New York 16 (eliminated)

Third round

London 39
Paris 33
Madrid 31 (eliminated)

Fourth round

London 54
Paris 50 (eliminated)
snow report
FenlandSkier wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, It was Paris not London that nearly went out in R3.

Looks like London did slightly better in each voting round than the pundits led us to believe.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What surprises me is Madrid in R3 compared to R2, somehow they managed to lose a vote along the way despite there being 3 votes more cast in total and the 16 New York votes up for grabs.
The final round looks interesting as well, a swing of 2 voters would have meant a tie. Which country did Chirac say has worse cuisine then England and how many votes did that country have? The answer is of course Finland and 2 votes!!
snow conditions
FenlandSkier wrote:
Which country did Chirac say has worse cuisine then England and how many votes did that country have? The answer is of course Finland and 2 votes!!

LOL!
ski holidays
Quote:

What surprises me is Madrid in R3 compared to R2, somehow they managed to lose a vote along the way

I recall a radio reporter mentioning that one vote missed the (electronic?) timing and was therefore never cast, or disqualified.
ski holidays
Terrible news!
We'll be paying for this nonsense for years. They should have let Paris have it.
Bungs for votes have probably been paid already, like Salt Lake City.
snow report
Quote:

Bungs for votes have probably been paid already, like Salt Lake City.

Err ... you're implying that London probably paid bribes, or greater bribes than Paris, and that members of the committee probably accepted bribes.
It's a serious allegation. It's correct that Salt Lake bribed to be selected, but what makes you believe that London probably won the vote through corruption?
ski holidays
Latchigo, what a miserable attitude. How can you not be thrilled that Seb Coe pulled it off. I think it's fantastic.
latest report
I noticed the Games were awarded to the 'City Of London' does this mean that there'll be Beach Volley Ball at the Bank of England and Pole Vault on Thread Needle street?
snow report
boredsurfin, the beach volleyball will be on Horseguards.
snow report
boredsurfin, perhaps the sport of speed counting vast piles of cash will be showcased at the 'City of London' Olympics.
snow conditions
David@traxvax, Ah so it was London not the City Of London that won wink
ski holidays
boredsurfin, invariably the City will win, certain insurance brokers I know are already trying to estimate how much revenue the Olympics could generate.
latest report
Well, let's hope these fat cats make a big contribution to the success of the project!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy