Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Leeds-based Snow Dome ...or whatever

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Is there anywhere in Leeds to practise skiing and have lessons? The train goes passed an Xscape building I think. Has or does anyone go there? And what's it like?

PinkJelly
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Xscape is at Castleford, just outside Leeds on the M62
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi PinkJelly,

I go there every week and find it invaluable to brush up my technique out of season or between holidays.
Your basically skiing in a giant freezer with a couple of button lifts either side. The slope I have been told is probably equivelant to a blue run in gradient.
If you can ski on a Sunday there is a club there called the Lions who ski from 8-10am. You have to pay a joining fee and then you get a good discount and there's quite a few people who are instructor certified who go and offer instruction to club members. I don't know the exact details or costs for the club but i'm sure someone who knows more will post in your thread further details.
I am considering joining the Lions club so if anyone knows any more info I too would appreciate a posty.

You should be able to find more info about the slope here - http://www.xscape.co.uk/castleford/snow/
The Lions club info should be here - http://members.aol.com/grahambeckski

Hope this is of some help to you.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PinkJelly, if you're in crouch end (I used to live on Inderwick road Smile) you may find it easier to go to the xscape at Milton Keynes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Xscape is a means to an end, an expensive one at that.

Its ok for once in a while for practsiing little tricks. Park night on fridays is ok if your wanting to practice jumps and rails. When its just a flat slope though its dull as ditch water
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've only been to Castleford once but i recall it to be flatter and slower than MK. Do I remember right or did I just have a bad day?!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went to Tamworth last week (my first visit) and although its not in a complex quite as fancy as the Xscape offerings I had a great deal of fun. The Milton Keynes and Castleford slopes are both larger but the Tamworth one has a bend in it, which seems to make it feel longer - we were there at a very quiet time (Friday morning) and I suspect that it becomes a lot less fun with only a few more people on the slope.

Tried out new skis and they worked v. well, snow conditions were surprisingly good - sort of weird plaster of paris texture.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
Tried out new skis and they worked v. well.

Good news, tell me more!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rockyrobin, http://www.lions-skiclub.co.uk

Annual membership is £25 each or £50 for family membership.

Sun 8am - 10.00am for £16 inc gear hire if required & coaching.

Mon 7.30pm - 9.30pm is a race training session, same deal etc. Helmets are compulsory if you want to run the gates.

You can go to the Sun morning session as a visitor for £20 but you can only do this once.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, Thanks for the info Smile
I think i'll pop along this Sunday and have a nosey.
I noticed it says on the web site - ***Please note that guests signed in by Lions members are only allowed one session at guest rates. If they wish to come again, they must join as full members themselves.***
Does this mean that any guest will need to come along accompanied with a member to be able to sign in for a guest session?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rockyrobin, Yes it does. Let me know if you're definately going this Sun - I hope to make it myself this Sun if work allows.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a friend who was looking to join some clubs, can you tell me more about the club spyderjon? If she just turns up "on spec" on a Sunday will she be able to speak to someone around the club?

What kind of level skiers are there in the club, what age range, mostly male or a mixture??

regards,

greg
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gregh, She can contact Cathy or Graham who run the Lions Club via their website http://www.lions-skiclub.co.uk or if she just turns up at between 8.00am -10.00am there'll be plenty of people to chat to. Better still, if she gets there for 8.00am she can pay the £20 visitor fee & join in.

There's quite a range of ages with ability levels from beginner through intermediate to advanced who attend the green, blue & red level classes. On Sunday it was probably 50/50 male/female. Then there's the racers who are mostly teenagers with rockyrobin (who BTW had some very tidy runs through the poles on Sunday) adding a few more years & then me adding considerably more years.

I reckon that if you can get up early on a Sunday morning the club is a bit of a no brainer in that you get a very quiet slope, free equipment if needed, free tuition if you want & 2 hours slope time with friendly people all for £16 (plus £25 joining fee), compared to the standard Xscape rate of £30!

Even if you're a SCGB member the slope costs £24 & Xscape's summer deal of 2hrs for the price of 1hr costs £20, both without all the other benefits.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gregh,

Youb can contact Graham Beck, directly, at grahambeckski@aol.com.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy