Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow on the Telly

Poster: A snowHead
Sun 14th 8:00PM-9:00PM Ch5 Avalanche Alert

Documentary investigating the phenomena of avalanches. The programme meets survivors and rescuers who have experienced the terror of what an avalanche can do, and follows experts who work in avalanche prevention.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the heads up, guess I'll get downstairs.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marc you need wireless networking and a laptop Wink

(U - does snowHeads have an Avalanche Risk rating? snowHead )
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I so wish I'd had shares in the company that made that programme, it's been on every channel about 100 times. It's not that good either...

I do have wireless and a laptop as well Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did anyone else watch it? I thought it was fascinating...but crucially it didn't give you any advice about what to do if caught in an avalanche....just how to avoid them (ie stay on piste and don't live in Alaska!)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It wasn't the same one that I saw recently - some of the same facts but I'd never seen the Avalung before. Although that test they did burying the guy was done in 2000.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 15-03-04 10:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I thought it was a fairly good documentary, especially relevant after the large quantities of snow that have fallen this season.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elizabeth B, Liz, I think that was their point, there is so little you can do that the only real method of survival is not to get into one.

That bloke being buryed though - two hours, I don't think I ccould do it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anything is good that raises awareness of the dangers. Still when they cram it all in such a short time it ends up being a bit superficial, and they have to take into account the audience's limited attention span and make sure they add plenty of pretty pictures!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
marc gledhill, I agree, but having read some of the articles that people have linked to, there are things that can improve your chances of survival if caught up in one.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I thought there was some useful information, and the item about the Avalung ought to make it an essential item when skiing/boarding off piste. Some spectacular and quite terrifying filming in places.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One point they didnt mention though was that if buried in snow "that sets like concrete" just how do you reach into your jacket and place the thing in your mouth? Or do you permanently have in in like a snorkel (or did I miss something)?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah! I remember asking the same thing, now you come to mention it. Also, isn't there some sort of inflatable system that provides a larger cocoon for anyone trapped under the snow? Surprised they didn't mention it as well.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Colin Vince, I wondered that too - to be honest I'd be deeply impressed by anybody who did anything remotely coherent whilst being swept down hill in an avalanche.

I'd have liked to have been told where were looking at a bit more often. Didn't the American chap (Fesley) have a fantastic beard?

Nice to see some snow, even if it was rather badly behaved!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No matter how experienced you are, how on earth do you take someone seriously with that amount of facial hair?
latest report
Mark, I'm prepared to accept the word of a man with plenty of facial hair in certain limited areas: religion, woodworking and outdoor pursuits!
ski holidays
Ian Hopkinson, actually I was referring to women Laughing

Do Morris Dancers fall into the "outdoor pursuits" category? They've always struck me as people not to take too seriously Exclamation
ski holidays
I didn't see the whole programme .... did they mention that self-inflating air balloon thingy that's supposed to keep you on top of the snow as you're carried down????
ski holidays
No.
snow report
Read about it a short while ago. It made some sense, although I'm not sure how practical it would be with many tons of snow pushing down on it, it would have to be pretty tough. Must try and find some test/trial info on it...
snow report
From what I understand from the programme, doesn't the snow set like concrete within seconds? If so, perhaps the inflated device would provide sufficient integrity to provide enough space for potentially lifesaving movement.

I think (but don't quote me) that the device is marketed in the S & R brochure. Haven't got one to hand so can't check.
ski holidays
Just checked their web catalogue and couldn't find a reference to anything.
snow conditions
However heavy the snow, I suppose the point is that you stay on the surface like a cork in a tidal wave. I wonder, does it inflate automatically, or do you need the presence of mind to activate it? Does it suddenly balloon up if you take a major fall just skiing on piste? (boy you'd look stupid!)...
ski holidays
One thing the program didn't mention was that the majority of avalanche fatalities are not directly caused by suffocation, but by the trauma of being hurled into trees, passing rocks, etc.

Maybe the inflatable avalanche jacket might be a more helpful solution if avalanche surfing is your thing! They do look pretty silly though.

Incidentally does anyone know what they're called... often seen pics of them, basically a jaket with compressed air cylinders that inflate the jacket to a big "james bond" style ball! Shocked Any internet links to them?
snow conditions
Here's one manufacturer's site....
http://www.abssystem.com/
latest report
I always wonder how a company like that can have a website with a spelling mistake on the front page. "Burried", I ask you?
snow conditions
Michael B, not even a typo... they've done it twice!
snow conditions
Although deeper in the site they actually got it right, also with variations such as "burial". rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Michael B, maybe their from Lancashire and type phonetically Very Happy
latest report
Nah. I can't buy that. It'd be "burreal" then. The site would also start
"Stay on't top"
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy