Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grenoble flights

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
With more flights to Grenoble this year which resorts should I have on and off my every increasing short list? We are second year skiers with children (who will both ski). I would prefer quiet location away from the package tours if possible. Is it possible to book flights and then take pick nearer the time. I want to go end of Jan to avoid the half term crowds etc. Finally am I unlikely to get any 'free' transfer from Grenoble? Is car hire the only realistic option?

Thanks

Mick
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
micksup, an interesting resort for you could be Chamrousse, a little place just near Grenoble which was the site of Jean-Claude Killy's triple gold medal victory in the 1968 Olympics. Grenoble itself is actually a really nice town, so you could even be based there if you have a car.

Chamrousse has never been much of a package destination, and basically services the local population, but has some nice runs. The best and most extensive skiing in that region is in Les Deux Alpes, Alpe d'Huez and Serre Chevalier. These are all package destinations. Serre Chevalier is highly rated by many families. If you want to be on a big circuit but away from a big resort you could stay in Oz or Vaujany, which are small satellite resorts on the Alpe d'Huez circuit.

Puy St Vincent is another resort worth checking out. I quite liked that.

Skiing in late Jan you're still in quiet season, so you could wait for the snow to be sure.

As for transfers, check out the bus services from Grenoble railway station, which go to a number of the ski resorts. A lot of locals use that method.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
micksup, I echo David Goldsmith, 's post. chamrousse is very nice. There is also Alpe de Grand Serre in the area which is small and not a TO place. However Chamrousse would be my favourite, very family friendly, and if you need a recommendation I know and instructor who works there who speaks good English.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
micksup, I would highly recommend Villard de Lans in the Vercors (Carole Montillet's resort) - even better if you can book up at relatively short notice. What's more it's no more than an hour's drive away. Conditions should be fine end of Jan. Coach company VFD do several transfers there from Grenoble itself every day, don't know what will be available from the airport though.

Not a fashionable resort, should be right up your street. Also a few less well known Savoie resorts (bottom end of Tarentaise etc) are within easy striking distance, 1h45 - 2h from the airport. St François Longchamp, for example.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys. Just booked four flights with Ryanair, great value. Nice to have that sorted, now I can try and get a short list of places to stay in the suggested locations ready for when the snow starts to fall.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy